Community Forum

Having Jitter/Fluctuations with Gigabit Internet - Arris SB8200

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Having Jitter/Fluctuations with Gigabit Internet - Arris SB8200

Hello!

I'm having some fluctuations with my gigabit internet service.

I had a tech come out and tell me that my modem was not capable of supporting Gigabit internet, however it's on the approved list that Comcast approved for gigabit.

I've ran several different speed tests, including Xfinity's, but my download will range anywhere between 250 and 350down and 0.3 to 30 Mbps up. The upload being 0.3 is what really hurts me, because I stream to Twitch. I'm unable to do that now due to the fluctuations. Do you all have any suggestions on what I could try in order to remedy this? I just replaced an older modem with this one one, which was basically doing the exact same thing (SB6190), my speeds have not changed.

Expert

Re: Having Jitter/Fluctuations with Gigabit Internet - Arris SB8200

@DaMack88

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Are you testing directly wired to the modem (no router/WiFi)?

Other things to try:

• Disable your antivirus/firewall briefly and check speeds.
    • Boot your computer into safe mode w/networking and check speeds.
    • Verify that you meet the system requirements. 

gig_system_req.PNG

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Hello and Thank you for your response! 

I did a majority of these tests from Modem to Laptop, which has a gigabit LAN card. The first time I ran the speed test, I was getting 900+mpbs. Now, no matter which device, and whether or not it's from Modem to Device, or Modem to Router to Device, it's 300~mbps.

I went through the troubleshooting guide beforehand, and do meet the PC requirements as well. Hope this helps! (I have -not- tried testing speeds in Safe mode, and will do that shortly.) Let me know if you can see these images. Smiley Happy

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngHighlighted shows the last 3 on the list

Edit: These were all wired tests.
Regular Visitor

Just ran a test in safe mode. No differences at all with download/upload
Regular Visitor

Is there any follow-up with this?