Xfinity Community Forum

Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts
New to the Community? Start here.

Have Gigabit to my home -- can I use my own modem and wireless router?

Expert

Re: Have Gigabit to my home -- can I use my own modem and wireless router?

Message contains a hyperlink

@dtrimble7 wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on the ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 or the Motorola MB8600?

I've seen a fair number of complaints about the Arris, but that's just been my observation. I'd go with the Motorola which is actually manufactured by Zoom or the Netgear CM1000. There is another option - the Netgear C7800 but it's got a built-in router.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Have Gigabit to my home -- can I use my own modem and wireless router?

I switched to Comcast's 1Gbps plan last November to our house in the eastern Silicon Valley area. I'd have preferred fiber, but no such services are available in residential markets around here. So this was as close as I could get, and generallyam  pretty happy with the service. My desktop (a dual-CPU 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 64 GB and a 2TB SSD)  -- connected directly via a Cat6 cable -- generally pulls about 940 Mbps down and 41 Mbps up. (Those numbers are when measured using Speedtest's software that runs natively in the OS; when measured using the speedtest.net website test, it generates much lower numbers -- about 750/34 respectively). Considering I'm running a 10-year old Mac Pro, those are pretty good numbers. A newer machine with a newer NIC might do a little better.

Wi-Fi usage from my three PC and Mac laptops, three streaming media devices, and four mobile devices, all predictably perform significantly worse relative to the theoretical max speed -- usually between 450 and 550, and infrequently as high as 650 down. Very rarely does it go higher, and that's understandable given the massive signal pollution in this heavily wifi-congested neighborhood. I wish I got better on the wireless side, but I suspect there's not a lot I can do about it in this area.

But all in all, I'm reasonably happy so far (after about 6 months) with the performance.

For a variety of reasons, however, I'd like to switch out the Comcast modem/router. Among others, I'd prefer to have full flexibility over configurations (e.g. I hate the Comcast DNS servers) and security, have a separate wireless router device independent of the modem, and not have to pay a monthly fee to Comcast. I was able to swap out their devices with my own on my old 250Mbps plans.

No reason I can't do the same thing on their Gigabit service, right? As long as it's compatible, which it appears there are a few on the market that seem to be.

Anyone have any thoughts on the ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 or the Motorola MB8600?

Preferences for another device?

Note I'm aware there are often limitations on bundled VoIP. I don't have any bundled services. We fired Comcast last year for their cable TV and phone services. Not worth the cost anymore. We use Ooma for phone, and stream 100% of the media/TV content we actually care about.