Community Forum

Got 2 different answers from xfinity techs re: getting a new modem/router.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Got 2 different answers from xfinity techs re: getting a new modem/router.

I've been given 2 different answers from 2 different techs from xfinity/comcast. I need to replace my modem/router. One tech said to get net gear C7100v. the other tech said to get arris 3482G. who should I believe? I have voice phone, internet, home security through xfinity.  Please advise.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Got 2 different answers from xfinity techs re: getting a new modem/router.

Which speed tier are you subscribed to ? Do you want to rent from them or own your device ?

Frequent Visitor

My account says "Performance Plus Internet download speeds up to 60 Mbps. Xfinity voice unlimited US & Int'l calling. Xfinity Home Security.

Frequent Visitor

In addition to recent reply I made. I want to own my own modem/router.  Don't like renting from xfinity.

Diamond Problem Solver

Well then the 7100v is the retail choice as the 3482 is a rental.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply.  That makes sense since I can't find the Arris 3482G 3.1 anywhere on the web for sale.  Looks like it is an Xfinity item that they prefer to rent by the month.  I don't want to do that.  Did it once & paid more than what I could have bought one.  Thanks again.

Diamond Problem Solver

Quite welcome !

Official Employee

Adding to EG, if you get your own personal modem, you’ll need a tech out to add a Netgear router (with security software) for your Home Security.
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

the Netgear I bought is a modem/router combination.  You mean I still need another router?

Official Employee

Yes,it’s provided but you need something to run your home security. Your own equipment won’t
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

So...My present modem/router is an Arris TG862G/CTDOCSIS 3.0 residential voice. (which I own)  The Home Security is working with this.  Maybe I don't really need a new modem.  Comcast sent an email a few months ago & said I needed a new modem/router.  I'm sorry I ever agreed to the Home Security in the previous Bundle.  

Silver Problem Solver

@benlo wrote:

So...My present modem/router is an Arris TG862G/CTDOCSIS 3.0 residential voice. (which I own)  The Home Security is working with this.  Maybe I don't really need a new modem.  Comcast sent an email a few months ago & said I needed a new modem/router.  I'm sorry I ever agreed to the Home Security in the previous Bundle.  

I've upgraded my gateway three times with XHome and have never had an issue.  My first gateway required a separtate Comcast-supplied modem to work.  The current gateway you would get includes suuport for XHome and does not need a separate (free) modem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote: ... The current gateway you would get includes suuport for XHome and does not need a separate (free) modem.

Andrew said the OP needs to add a router, not a modem.

Official Employee

I've upgraded my gateway three times with XHome and have never had an issue. My first gateway required a separtate Comcast-supplied modem to work. The current gateway you would get includes suuport for XHome and does not need a separate (free) modem.

Robert, the OP was considering purchasing his own modem, in those cases, a separate security router is a necessity

Official Employee

So...My present modem/router is an Arris TG862G/CTDOCSIS 3.0 residential voice. (which I own) The Home Security is working with this. Maybe I don't really need a new modem. Comcast sent an email a few months ago & said I needed a new modem/router. I'm sorry I ever agreed to the Home Security in the previous Bundle.

Frequent Visitor

I am trying to upgrade my current modem/router , so I bought a new Netgear c7100v, which is still in the box.  This was recommended to me by Comcast & said it would work with my Home Security.  I have hired a professional to install it so it will work with my 2 wireless printers, Home security, Phone, garage door opene & Ring doorbell.  I am totally confused re: someone telling me I need an additional router for Home Security.  Please help. I have an appt set up for Wed. to install my Netgear C7100V which was advised by the first Comcast tech.