Community Forum

Giving relative old SB6121, do I need to contact Xfinity?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Giving relative old SB6121, do I need to contact Xfinity?

Hello,

I have upgraded to a new modem / router & am giving the old ones to a relative.  They currently lease Xfinity equipment.

My new modem was recognized without any intervention from Xfinity but, as I remember years ago when I switched from leased equipment to owned equipment Xfinity support did assist with initial setup.  I had to provide them with the MAC address so it could be added to my account.  Will I need to have the modem MAC address reassigned to my relative?

Or do I just plug the modem in & see if we connect to the Internet?

Motorola Surfboard SB6121

thank you

Expert

Re: Giving relative old SB6121, do I need to contact Xfinity?

Do your relative a favor and call in to customer service and have a rep completely remove the old modem from your account.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

& that really was the question I was asking, thank you for interpreting & answering.  Was concerned about old modem still being assigned to my account.

Expert

Quite welcome.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Well I tried Chat & I'll tell you - that was scary.  I told them several times this was in reference to an old modem that was not being used & they kept asking me which lights were blinking on my modem & they were going to check on it now.  Felt like I was screaming at them (IN CAPS) not to touch my perfectly good working modem.

I'll be hooking the modem up so, just wait til then & deal with whatever arises.

Contributor

The Comcast employee we spoke to while installing the modem at my sisters house was really on the ball.  She understood the MAC address I gave her over the phone & moved it from my account to my sisters.  Very good support from Comcast

Expert

Thanks for posting back !