Community Forum

Gigabit Modem used on non-gigabit plan

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Gigabit Modem used on non-gigabit plan

I currently have the Triple Paly plan with Extreme Pro internet service (upto 400 Mbps) and am using an Arris TM822G (which does not support 400 Mbps). I plan to drop the Voice service (no longer need a land line). I have my own WiFi router (Netgear R9000 Nighthawk). I am considering purchasing one of the following modems: Arris SB8200, Netgear CM1000, Motorola MB8600 (there are Docsis 3.1 modems). If my service currently does not support Docsis 3.1, should these modems still perform as well or better than other Docsis 3.0 modems for use at ~400 Mbps download speeds. If so, any recommendations as to which of the 3 Docsis 3.1 modems I listed would work best for me?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Gigabit Modem used on non-gigabit plan

The devices will work even if the local system is not geared up for D3.1, (backwards compatible with D3.0).

I'd say the most popular would be the MB8600, cheaper and has two ethernet ports allowing for future link aggregation.

The SB8200 also has two ports

I have the Netgear CM1000, it only has one ethernet port, but I've never had a problem with it.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Gigabit Modem used on non-gigabit plan

Ok thanks Paranoid. At this point, I'm leaning more towards the Arris SB8200. Anybody have experience with this unit, specifically with the 400 Mbps / Docsis 3.0 xfinity service? If gigabit service becomes available and I upgrade to it, I should be positioned to take advantage of it. Meanwhile it is most important to me that it work well at 400 Mbps.