Community Forum

Gigabit Interent: Upload Speed Getting Throttled When Streaming to Mixer

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Gigabit Interent: Upload Speed Getting Throttled When Streaming to Mixer

Hi HotLaMon, thank you for the update and glad you were able to get this resolved by switching out your modem.  

Thank you

Regular Visitor

All the stats you mentioned can be seen from tech tools comcast provides their techs. My meter can test for ingress on the return path. I've run PHT (Premise Health Test) and the account is clean and all green. US SNR is 40-41, Minor issues with 23.7Mhz on ICFR but nothing too severe. The US RX Power is around 1-1.8. 

Issue is resolved by switching to a customer owned modem. 

Regular Visitor

I resolved the issue by getting my own modem as advised by reddit users experiencing the same issue and by mixer support. Seems that when streaming to Mixer FTL, anything above 1500kbps will cause network issue (upstream dropping significantly) on the XB6. Got a Netgear CM1000 and it's no longer and issue.

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Regular Contributor

40M down to 8M is a pretty significant drop.  I can't imagine your streaming app would chew up that much bandwidth. 

When you're streaming how are you connected to the network?  (WIFI/Ethernet)  

What CM are you using?

What router are you using?

Diamond Problem Solver

Perhaps there is a noise ingress problem in the upstream channels / return path ?

There are three additional signal stats which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

Is that with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

Regular Visitor

Gigabit Interent: Upload Speed Getting Throttled When Streaming to Mixer

I decided to start streaming to Mixer.com again after a long break. I hadn't streamed in about 3-4 months and decided to pick it up again for fun. So I loaded up a game and started my stream. Immediately when I start the stream, my game becomes so laggy that it is unplayable. This has never happened when I streamed to mixer before, at least not this severe. I have gigabit internet and speed test show 40+ Mbps Upload, but while I'm streaming, the upload drops to 8Mbps. 

I've seen some posts on the forums, but none of them showed a solution besides contacting a Live Chat Rep, which I did last night and he said someone will contact me over the phone. I have not recieved a call. 

PS: <Edited> I've done all the cable line/signal troubleshooting. I know we don't throttle data but this was the best way to describe it.