Community Forum

Getting Internet to an in-law unit

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: Getting Internet to an in-law unit

Thank you! 

Authorized Vendor

If it was me this is the order I would go..

Cat6 Cable => I know harder but it would be best

MoCA => Getting alot better and like EG said put a MoCA filter on the feed from the street..

PowerLine => You dont need to be on the same circuit breaker but the same power feed and ground, newer Powerline devices can go between circuit breakers..

WiFi Bridge => This would work and like other have said some AP's allow this, but it requires 2 AP's

WiFi repeater => This would be the worst but with the newer repeaters they dont use the same Freq to do the backhaul traffic..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Diamond Problem Solver

New Poster

Thanks, I'm leaning towards MoCA, but does the signal run both ways?  I'm just concerned that because it splits before it gets into either of the buildings, the converted signal from the modem won't be the signal that makes it to the in-law.  I can't find enough info online about this particular situation, and don't know who to ask!

New Poster

Thanks @mrumppe.  Do you think I need an enterprise grade one or will a consumer grade one work?  And would you recommend a powerline AP?  It's not on the same circuit but running an ethernet cable through my walls and then across a courtyard is not that simple, so I'm hoping a powerline would work and at least get the AP closer than it is now.

Diamond Problem Solver

Sounds like MoCA is the viable option.

New Poster

Thanks @barbie123, I'm actually trying to avoid having to run a physical cord through the walls, as I don't have the know-how and there aren't any existing ethernet outlets in my home.  And if I can't run it through the walls, then the cord would have to go through the living room & kitchen in my house, and then outdoors across a courtyard and then through the kitchen of the in-law.  

Regular Contributor

Some of the lower end enterprise WIFI units can bridge that gap pretty easily.  Otherwise the Ethernet run between the 2 would be an easy solution and then put an AP on the other end.  

Silver Problem Solver

Ethernet will easily run 40 feet.

Highlighted
New Poster

Getting Internet to an in-law unit

I'm looking for a solution to get internet to our in-law unit behind our house (the in-law is about 20 feet away from our backdoor, and about 40 feet from our router) without having to purchase a separate service from Xfinity.  I would like the option for our guests to stream movies from the in-law unit, so need a decent speed back there.  The exterior walls to both buildings are plaster, so I suspect that's why our WiFi does not reach there.  I can't move the router closer without having to rewire the house or have unsightly wires across doorways and the like. 

A couple of the options I've been researching (and would love your input on!):

MoCA- Our current internet comes in from the street via coax cable and then there is a splitter on the outside of our home.  One line goes into our living room, and the other goes into the in-law.  I should mention that when I move our modem to the coaxial outlet in the in-law it works great.  Is MoCA a viable option here or would I still need a separate modem (and therefore a 2nd xfinity service charge) w/in the in-law unit?  Near as I can tell, MoCA is a great option once the signal is in the house and then can be relayed to other coaxial outlets within the same house, but because it splits outside before the modem I'm a bit confused.

Powerline Adapter- My house and the in-law are not connected on the same circuit breaker, so at best I could extend the WiFi signal to a bit closer to the in-law (effectively 'moving' the signal closer by 20 feet).  However I know this option means there would be a loss of speed, and I'm still concerned about the plaster walls.  

WiFi repeater- Again I'm concerned that the walls will cause a significant loss in speed.  Perhaps one that can go outdoors is my best option?

Thanks in advance for your help.