Community Forum

Frequent Disconnects with Arris 6183 Modem

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Frequent Disconnects with Arris 6183 Modem

I currently subscribe to a 100 gb down/10 gb up service.  I use an Arris 6183 modem with a Netgear Nighthawk N7000 router.  For the past several months I have been experiencing frequent disconnects, often five or more times daily.  Upon power cycling the modem, internet service is restored.

I've included screenshots both of my signal levels and the event log for the router. Regarding the event log, I've only included one page worth of content but there are 38 total events for the day.  As I scroll backwards in the log, this is roughly the average events experienced on a daily basis.  While this only leads to ~5 service interruptions per day, it still appears as though there something problematic with my connection.  Any help in troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

event log.PNG
signal levels.png
Frequent Visitor

Re: Frequent Disconnects with Arris 6183 Modem

They may have decided to End of Life your modem. They did it to me a few years ago. If you notice customer service continually offering you the chance to go lease a brand new modem for an extra $10 a month, don't be surprised. 

Expert

Re: Frequent Disconnects with Arris 6183 Modem

The 6183 is NOT EOL. The downstream power is on the high side. Is there an amplifier on the coax line leading to the modem ? If so, remove it and see. If not, you may want to try using 6dB attenuator pad to knock the power down and see;

https://www.amazon.com/6db-Attenuator-Pad-1-each/dp/B0013L48XA

Be advised that this may not be the root cause of the problem.

The stats as read at the modem level at that moment in time were o/k but there are three additional signal stats which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. You may need to ask for a tier 2 rep. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!