Community Forum

Ever since speed increase my VPN slow

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Ever since speed increase my VPN slow

Hate to bring up whole throttle conspiracy becasue almost always be ruled out for ignorance on networking. Im not expert but im pretty knowledgeable to when it comes to this stuff and im stumped.

IDK what going on but ever since around speed increase my VPN slow.  My IPS speeds are fine. I know its not on my end and VPN suggested Comcast is throttling. I'm almost positive its Comcast also im not sying im being throttled but something is going on with my connection  because out of everything i tried only solution is to i change my mac address so Comcast assign new ip and my speeds back to normal on VPN. But they eventually slow down again, and only way i can fix is to keep changing my IP WTH is going on>?  Also yes i know about congestion..ect this isn't that ive been using VPN for few years now and this isn't that these speeds are consistent no matter time of day also 2Mbps upload speed it not normal at all it should be 12 regardless but its not. Also im not judging just from speedtests its affecting whole VPN connection when downloading files so i know speedtests are accurate.

I use OPEN VPN and also tried the Client software tried all TCP/UDP ports

Only fix to change my IP and ruled out my router being problem because I've disconnected and used just  modem this has to be Comcast because new IP fixes issue.

Here are some speed test on my VPN test server from my ISP and VPN just to prove its not congestion speed is fine on Comcast but not on VPN... till i change my IP.

And almost always get this this during test when on VPN

edit

Another test ISP Vs VPN after IP change 3rd image is me being thottled again once i log out and back into my VPN.

Contributor

Re: Ever since speed increase my VPN slow

Comcast is infact throttling VPN services ive tried couple more VPN providers and aALL aame results no matter what limiting to 60ish Mbps prior was easly getting 200+ Mbps

Contributor

Other possoblity config file sent to my modem for speed inscrease messed up? Could you guys look into this but my comcast speeds are perfectly fine IDK if that could mes with other serverices?

Contributor

OK so i figured it out and of coures its comcast fault my gateway was taken out of bridge mode with firmware update. I put back into bridge mode and VPN still slow i had to reset my gateway to default and put back into gateway and my VPN seems fine now so thanks again comcast for headaches.

Contributor

Comcast you need to look at firmware my VPN somewhat fixed once I reset my gateway VPN speeds are fine but still not %100 still have to connect to VPN multiple times before speeds are fast again.

BTW this with cisco DPC3941T gateway also even though gateway is enabled wifi light stay on this has been bug for some time now always have to call support so they can turn them off remotely

Contributor

Slow again this time ive connected to my friends fast mobile network from my computer and speeds back to normal. Its not my modem its not my computer or VPN its comcast.

Highlighted
Contributor

So yea Comcast your gateway is the problem for slow VPN speeds now please fix this problem i actually got new one and got it online before firmware updated and speeds were fine but after gateways updated speeds are slow. This only effects my connection not my gateway hotspot.... and other person went got their own modem and it fixed there issue.

Contributor

Bought my own modem and problem fixed. Thanks for help /s