Community Forum

Event 1001, Dhcp-Client error in Event Viewer??

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Event 1001, Dhcp-Client error in Event Viewer??

Good morning,

It seems that ever since I bought this new computer a few weeks ago with Win7 Pro I am spending more and more time viewing Event Viewer and trying to figure out some error messages.

My computer is a:

HP 64-bitPavilion p7-1157c AMD A6-3600 APU w/Radeon ™ HD Graphics 2.10GHz

8 Gbs of Memory

Windows 7 Professional SP1

Internet Explorer 9

Comodo Internet Security Suite

SuperAntiSpyware Professional

Trojan Hunter

Malwarebytes Anti Malware

Spyware Blaster

Windows Defender

One in particular has me super confused even after 'googling' for an answer as well as searching this forum.

The error message reads:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x74DE2B3B1802. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

This error message usually appears about two minutes after starting or rebooting the computer.

As background when I go to Network and Sharing and select 'Change adapter settings' there are three Network Adapters listed.

(1)  Local Area Connection

Network

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

(2)  Wireless Network Connection

Not connected

802.11n Wireless LAN Card

(3)  Wireless  Network Connection 2

Not connected

Microsoft Virtural WiFi Miniport Adapter

Both (2) and (3) have a 'Red X' next to them.

I connect to my ISP (Comcast) directly from my computer into the ARRIS telephony modem they provided for my internet, telephone and TV.

Is it possible that this error message is a result of the computer not being able to find either (2) or (3) and if so, how can I stop it from searching for it?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Event 1001, Dhcp-Client error in Event Viewer??

Disable the Wireless network connection (right click and select Disable) and the error should disappear.  If you ever need to make a wireless connection to a wifi hotspot, you will have to re-enable it.  In any event, it's benign and you can simply ignore it, there are many errors and warnings in your eventlog that are not actual problems, don't obsess over them unless they are causing an actual problem.

Expert

@Baric wrote:
there are many errors and warnings in your eventlog that are not actual problems, don't obsess over them unless they are causing an actual problem.

Excellent advice !!!

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Baric and EG,

I will disasble the wireless and see what happens.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever