Community Forum

Error Message with Outlook 2003

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: Error Message with Outlook 2003

Disabling IPV6 in my network adapter properties worked great for me !

ANd fixed all the problems I had with Outlook 2003 on email.

THanks to you and

MVPETERS !!!!

Details-

Nothing worked to get my Outlook 2003 working on a POP3 email connection.

I did 2 calls in to Comcast today at 10:30 and 5:30 or so.

The email has been not working since Monday, when I put in my new

Comcast ARRIS Gateway #  TG862 G/CT.

[My old Comcast modem had been iffy for weeks on Netflix. Its EOL and just stopped working on Mon. My old router was a Dlink DIR-655 that seemed to be OK. I kept having to reset my old modem to get Netflix to work on my DVD player (Sony).]

Then I read the MVPETERS thread, see below.

Turning OFF IPV6 internet protocol ver 6, fixed the outlook problem instantly, and Outlook was able immediately to download all my messages for the last 2 days onto my machine.

I just did this, by left clicking on my active network adapter, and opening the "Properties". Its a  1 GBPS LAN adapter Marvell Yukon on a Asus motherboard. And unchecking the IPV6 option, in the "This Connection uses the following Items" list. Very simple !

I just checked Netflix operation, it has fine streaming quality, without IPV6;

and peer-peer BT download is fine at 2.1 MByte/sec, which is what I usually limit it to, to avoid Comcast resetting my modem.

My other email POP3 settings I'm using right now, that work, are:

In and Out servers: mail.comcast.net,  smtp.comcast.net

In and Out server ports:  995,   587 with SSL turned on for both. (and I have Leave Msgs on Server =  checked.)

But Im sure I can change these now to the more secure IMAP settings... That may be less vulnerable to spam ?

BTW, Outlook 2003 seemed to be trying too often to access the network.

It turns out, I had Outlook set to Autosave unsent msgs every 3 minutes, so I changed this to 20 mins just in case.

And I changed Check for Email from every 5 min to every 20 min.

Tech support had no clue at Comcast, and sent me over to Microsoft, who said I should buy a more recent version of Outlook and tried to get me to do that. I am using various versions of Office components, since I had a Microsoft Developers license, and have used a lot of these covered products on my home lab machines.

I think I'll try changing some of the internet addresses also. For the servers, etc. Using ipconfig values I guess.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message with Outlook 2003// Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC)

OK, so;

Incoming mail server (POP3): = 68.87.20.9 

(pop3-ch2.sys.comcast.net)

No changes to: 

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.comcast.net

Leave SSL checked in both cases. Hope it works and if it does complain, add the following to the active host file:

68.87.20.9 = mail.comcast.net

I'll give it shot and see what happens. I do find it interesting that "as is" it passes with Congratulations, All tests pass, but fail to actually work. 

Thanks!

Bronze Problem Solver

justpushplayok wrote:

Hey thanks ^^ !!

Are you saying, edit the host file to resolve the smtp.comcast.net to IPv4 adapter info??? Honestly I'm unclear of the specifics but with a little nudge could figure it out.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Simply enter 68.87.20.9 instead of mail.comcast.net for the server name in the Outlook configuration. If you're using encryption (SSL) Outlook will probably complain about a certificate problem. Just go ahead and ignore that (for now). Keeping Outlook configured to use mail.comcast.net and telling your system to resolve mail.comcast.net to 68.87.20.9 via the hosts file would eliminate that certificate error problem.

Example might be to run ipconfig, grab the adapter data (mac) and use that in host file? IDK! Just guessing. Q? Seeings how we are not getting a dedicated IP address, will this impact this? 

Adapter has a fixed mac, the smtp.comcast.net may resolve to a different physical address tho. 

None of that is relevant.

I'll be honest. I don't think this is the issue in this case. Windows did no updates to the box during the time frame from "working" to "not working". I have diabled my firewall, but didn't look to see that windows defender wasn't doing something. 

I used ccleaner to erase all cookies, cache, etc. Deleted the Outlook email info and recreated from new. I also ran the outlook repair utility on the PST file. So far there have been no benefit. Again, I find it odd that protocol which has been in place for years is just now acting up. It seems a little odd to me.

It seems that sometimes Outlook just decides its time to be fussy.

I found a little info here.... https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=1976.0

Unrelated.

Any tips regarding "how to verify" what really works is much appreacited.  Thanks for any inisght in advance.

Frequent Visitor

Hey thanks ^^ !!

Are you saying, edit the host file to resolve the smtp.comcast.net to IPv4 adapter info??? Honestly I'm unclear of the specifics but with a little nudge could figure it out.

Example might be to run ipconfig, grab the adapter data (mac) and use that in host file? IDK! Just guessing. Q? Seeings how we are not getting a dedicated IP address, will this impact this? 

Adapter has a fixed mac, the smtp.comcast.net may resolve to a different physical address tho. 

I'll be honest. I don't think this is the issue in this case. Windows did no updates to the box during the time frame from "working" to "not working". I have diabled my firewall, but didn't look to see that windows defender wasn't doing something. 

I used ccleaner to erase all cookies, cache, etc. Deleted the Outlook email info and recreated from new. I also ran the outlook repair utility on the PST file. So far there have been no benefit. Again, I find it odd that protocol which has been in place for years is just now acting up. It seems a little odd to me.

I found a little info here.... https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=1976.0

Any tips regarding "how to verify" what really works is much appreacited.  Thanks for any inisght in advance.

Bronze Problem Solver

justpushplayok wrote:

Verified Zonealarm software would control Outlook, it does. WHAT next? I'm out of ideas!

Did you try using the IPv4 address in place of the server name in the Outlook configuration?

Frequent Visitor

Sad Cat Diary; today is the 4th day of beating head against the wall and to no avail...

Played with IPv6 on NIC adapter toggling both settings together and independent  of each other. Had to change port back to 465 to prevent errors, but the client still produces errors // 0x800408FC and does not Rx.  I'm about done! :/

Ipconfig /release **

Ipconfig /renew **

Changes were:

- LARGE SEND OFFLOAD V2 (IPV6) = Disabled

- TCP/UDP CHECKSUM OFFLOAD (IPV6)  = Disabled

No help. Same errors for POP3 client // 0x800408FC // IMAP still working.

Both were switched off and on independently with ipconfig magic in between and Outlook restarted each time. 

Both ping and tracert return without issues. Well they complete at least.

pop3-po.sys.comcast.net / omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net

Verified Zonealarm software would control Outlook, it does. WHAT next? I'm out of ideas!

This helps ---> Subscriptions, Check that box --> Email me when someone replies!! lol If only email worked!

Frequent Visitor

Reference; Above post. 

About 7 mo ago the cable modem was replaced.  After the replacement, the desktop box would wake from sleep at random times. 

About 5 months ago I looked in the PC's bios and turned OFF the hardware function to "Allow LAN CARD to wake PC". This didn't help. Went into the NIC card and turned it off there. That stopped it from waking the PC at random times.

Unrelated but my laptop constantly drops off WiFi since using replacement Cable Modem with built in Wifi. Its a P O S! Of course it tests fine... 3 different phones drop off wifi too. Anychance this it the modem screwing up?

Frequent Visitor

Replay of the following error, " Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC)"

Box is Win 7 64, SP1 and other current patches from MS.

Office 2003, Oulook sends but can not recieve on pop3.

AVG 2014 (basic), Zone Alarm (basic). ZonAlarm shows no restriction on outlook.

Install has been stable for years and quit on the 2014-12-11. I've tried to enable and disable IPv6 to no avail.

Sending the "TEST EMAIL" reports no errors on "Test Account Settings (Completed) are all green checked" but the send recieve progress fails with error  0x800408FC .

It does send using port 995 w/SSL / 587 w/SSL. 465 makes an error.

Also in IMAP mode it sends and recieves on this account.

I ran "scanpst.exe"

C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst and it found errors but didn't help this issue. The errors were corrected (folder structure).

Looking for new ideas. PS, there have been NO changes to the PC. No NEW software installed. ALL UPDATES are manual and I decide when they are done and if they are done. 

Thanks!

I'm open to ideas. Did comcast change something on 2014-12-11??? That's how its looking!

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Error Message with Outlook 2003

Kdonaldson wrote:

Task 'mail.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

Outlook 2003 and earlier are known to have problems with IPv6. The simplest thing to do is to disable IPv6 on the computer that's using Outlook 2003.

If you think it's important to continue using IPv6 you could use the IPv4 IP address in place of the server name in the Outlook configuration. Note that IP addresses can change so this won't be a permanent fix. Note also that Outlook will complain about a "certificate error" when you're using SSL, which isn't a bad idea. To get around the "certificate error" problem you could create an entry in your Windows "hosts" file for the server name. I think you should be able to find the IPv4 IP address by opening a command window and entering:

nslookup mail.comcast.net

This is what I see, but I'm using IPv4. But I think nslookup will show the IPv4 addresses along with the IPv6 addresses when you're using IPv6.

Server:  cdns01.comcast.net
Address:  75.75.75.75:53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    mail.comcast.net
Addresses:  68.87.26.158, 76.96.40.158

68.87.26.158 is a server in PA. 76.96.40.158 is a server in CA. Use the one that's closer to you.

New Poster

Error Message with Outlook 2003

Task 'mail.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'