Community Forum

Error 550...Cannot send email

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Error 550...Cannot send email

I am running Windows 7...Windows Live Mail...I can receive email but cannot send email...This problem just occured...I get Server Error 550...It states that 'my outgoing email (SMPT) server might need to be comfigured'...I followed the instructions to correct this on the Comcast website but still can't send emails....any suggestions ?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Error 550...Cannot send email

eddy211 wrote:

I am running Windows 7...Windows Live Mail...I can receive email but cannot send email...This problem just occured...I get Server Error 550...It states that 'my outgoing email (SMPT) server might need to be comfigured'...I followed the instructions to correct this on the Comcast website but still can't send emails....any suggestions ?

In WLM did you change your SMTP Port to Port 465?See this below:

To reconfigure your Windows Live Mail client to use SSL instead of port 25

1. Open Windows Live Mail.
  2. Click the Accounts menu, and select the Properties button.

3. Click the Servers tab at the top of the properties window.
  4. Click the checkbox for My server requires authentication.

5. Click the Advanced tab at the top of the properties window.
  6. In the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) field, enter 465. Click the check box below next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
  7. In the Incoming Mail (POP3) field, enter 995. Click the check box below next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL).

8. Click OK.

Congratulations! You're done reconfiguring your Windows Live Mail client to send and receive XFINITY email over port 465.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Problem Solver

eddy211 wrote:

There are several possibilities with a 550 error. What's the exact, complete error message (you should be able to copy/paste the error message)? Redact the username parts of email addresses... Comcast doesn't like to see any personal info posted.

Frequent Visitor

Yessir...I followed the advice to setup the Server etc. with no luck.

Frequent Visitor

The following is the error message...

The message could not be sent. The setting for you outgoing email (SMPT) server might need to be configured. To find the server settings for XXXXXXXXX.net please contact your email provider

Subject 'Copier Hard Drives'

Server Error: 550

Server Response: 550 5.1.1 Not our Customer

Server 'smtp.comcast.net

Windows Live Mail Error ID0x800ccc79

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 465

Secure(SSL): Yes

Frequent Visitor

The above should read Windows Live Mail Error ID: Ox8OOCCC79

Silver Problem Solver

eddy211 wrote:

The following is the error message...

The message could not be sent. The setting for you outgoing email (SMPT) server might need to be configured. To find the server settings for XXXXXXXXX.net please contact your email provider

Subject 'Copier Hard Drives'

Server Error: 550

Server 'smtp.comcast.net

Windows Live Mail Error ID0x800ccc79

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 465

Secure(SSL): Yes

That suggests that you are not typying the recipient name correctly.

Edit: Or it means you aren't typing YOUR username correctly.

Frequent Visitor

You are correct...The name of the recipient was spelled incorrectly...Thank you very much for your help...All is okay now.

Bronze Problem Solver

BethKatz wrote:

eddy211 wrote:

That suggests that you are not typying the recipient name correctly.

Edit: Or it means you aren't typing YOUR username correctly.

Just FYI. If the problem was with the sender address the error code would be 5.1.0. The 5.1.1 code shows that the problem was with a recipient address.

Frequent Visitor

Thank You for the information...I printed a copy of this string in case I have this problem again in the future.

New Poster

Server Error 550 When Sending Emails

My wife and I both suddenly lost the ability to send out emails when connected to our Comcast internet service.  Chat support was not able to help.  The settings changes they suggested did not work.

If anyone has the same problem, the answer is here, in the post from CCCarole.  The correct accounts setting changes are explained:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Error-550-Cannot-send-email/td-p/155002...

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Moved to it's own thread because this thread was marked as solved.