Community Forum

Erratic Speedtest results and How many upstream channels

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Erratic Speedtest results and How many upstream channels

ERS1961 wrote: While surfing I decided to run a xfinity speed test and .... BINGO .... 300 mbps !!!!  It seems that different browsers can give different results. The techs might want to keep this in consideration.  Thanks for checking in. I am satisfied.

I am glad your speeds are back up to where they need to be, please reach back out to me if you need anything further. Have a good day.

Diamond Problem Solver

If you have a tech visit, be advised that there may be a charge if the tech finds the problem to be located on your side of the demarcation point / premises coax cable wiring / hardwire.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply.  In your opinion, should I still let the tech come bc of the erratic speeds among different sites?  What site, again in your opinion, can be the most reliable as far as accuracy?   Again, thanks for the reply. 

Ernie

Diamond Problem Solver

@ERS1961 wrote:

I also was wondering about only 2 upload channels. Is that correct?  Thanks and I really appreciate any help I could get on this bc of the scheduled tech.  Thanks

FWIW, some areas still have only 2 or 3 bonded upstream carriers configured / available on the local CMTS / system. YMMV.

Frequent Visitor

Its been 1 1/2 days since I had a disconnect. I have been monitoring the modem and no events have logged. At the time of the last disconnect, 5/27 18:51 the log showed, "Dynamic Range Window Violation".  The only issue I see is speeds vary from speed test sites.  The xfinity site shows 164mpbs and speedtest, seconds later shows 299mpbs.  The xfinity has been as low as 70mpbs when the speedtest shows 300mpbs.  Should I be concerned for the varied results between the two sites? I have tested several different speed test sites and none go as high as speedtest.  Google wifi has shown a consistant 280+ speed.  The reason I ask is becuase I have a tech scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday) and don't know if I should cancel or not because of the non drops.  I also was wondering about only 2 upload channels. Is that correct?  Thanks and I really appreciate any help I could get on this bc of the scheduled tech.  Thanks.

Ernie

Tuesday Modem.jpg
Tuesday speed test.jpg
Tuesday xfinity speed.jpg
Frequent Visitor

Erratic Speedtest results and How many upstream channels

I have Xfinity Blast service here in Central Virginia. For the last week I have had several drop connection issues, sometimes within 30-45 minutes each. When I do have a drop connection, multiple times a day, the Upstream LED on my Netgear CM500 is flashing. I also have Google wifi with 3 wifi points. Today so far only one drop, that was almost 2 hours ago.  Today, I have been testing my connection on Speedtest and getting very erratic results, low being 19mpbs to high of 302mpbs. These results are sometimes just minutes apart.  Upload speeds are between 10-12.  Now when I do show a slow connection on Speedtest, I immediately go to my Google wifi app to test speed and consistantly it is 280-285mpbs range. All the Speedtests are done on my desktop pc which is hard wired (no wifi).   Why would Speedtest show a low of 19mpbs and at the same time Google wifi show 280-285mpbs?  Also, on my CM500, I am only showing 2 Upstream bonded channels, should there be 3 or 4?  I have checked all the connections, all seem tight.  I have powered down my modem serveral times, no change. Downstream channel speed is between 1.4 - 2.4 and on the 2 upstream channels both were 36.3.  There is only an Xfinity tech installed splitter installed, 3 years ago, and that is where the cable comes into my house. Could it be a modem issue, its only 3 months old.  My modem readings below were during a connected status. Any ideas?  Thanks.

xfinity results.jpg