Community Forum

ESET SMART SECURITY 6 VS. Another Internet Security Option?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

ESET SMART SECURITY 6 VS. Another Internet Security Option?

In 2012, my new pc came with Windows7. I use IE9. I also have Google's Chrome.

My ESET Smart Security 6 expires on 4/27/2013.

In the past year, I have had notices of DNS Posining Attacks. ESET 6 blocked alot of internet sites.

It has 9 objects, some labeled asTrojans in quarantine.

On 4/23/2013 I did an internet security search. More than once Bit Defender had better reviews.

Does anyone have Bit Defender? What would be the wisest and the best internet security for me to purchase and install or download?

I am asking for advise and opinions.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: ESET SMART SECURITY 6 VS. Another Internet Security Option?

Well IMHO all of those are good. Comcst also offers Norton wich is fine as well. Personally I use Kaspersky.

TANSTAAFL!!

Contributor

@CajunTek wrote:

Well IMHO all of those are good. Comcst also offers Norton wich is fine as well. Personally I use Kaspersky.

I think I have narrowed it down to: vipre or bit defender.

I would appreciate opinions or advice.

http://www.pcantivirusreviews.com/Comparison/

CajunTek,

Thank you for recommending Kaspersky. It was my 2nd or 3rd choice.

Expert

Ask 10 people to recommend an AntiVirus product and you'll get 11 answers!  There is no "best" for all occasions and computers. Stick with the major brands and find one that works well for you.

I am using Norton Internet Security (not the Comcast Norton) and it fills my needs well. In the past I have used ESET and Kaspersky. Both are excellent choices, as is is Norton.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

If you want to purchase a program take it for a trial run first.

You have your choices narrowed down. Go to the website of one them. See if there is trial and if there is install it.

Test driving will give you a chance to see if it plays nice with your system, if it is user-friendly, and a chance to play around with it.

It won't take you long to see if it would work for you.

You could also uninstall it after a couple of days and install the next choice.

After that you can decide which one to go with.

*tip of the day* if you have to supply an email address in order to use the trial wait until the trial period is nearly over. Sometimes they will send you an email with a special deal for the product. Be aware that you will probably be nagged to go ahead and purchase it. The nag may even offer a reduced price.

Contributor

Queen-Evie:
Thank you. I will follow your trial run suggestion. I would like to say that one of my internet research sites was cnet. I also visited other websites,and looked at those reviews and comparisons.
Cnet did not give AVG and ESET6  are very high rating.My Eset smart security 6's license expires on 4/27. I will be glad to uninstall it.

-------------------------------------------------

Queen-Evie wrote:

If you want to purchase a program take it for a trial run first.

You have your choices narrowed down. Go to the website of one them. See if there is trial and if there is install it.

Test driving will give you a chance to see if it plays nice with your system, if it is user-friendly, and a chance to play around with it.

It won't take you long to see if it would work for you.

You could also uninstall it after a couple of days and install the next choice.

After that you can decide which one to go with.

*tip of the day* if you have to supply an email address in order to use the trial wait until the trial period is nearly over. Sometimes they will send you an email with a special deal for the product. Be aware that you will probably be nagged to go ahead and purchase it. The nag may even offer a reduced price.

Contributor

LophatPhuud;
I agree, that if  you ask 10 people, there will be 10 different answers.

-------------------------------

LoPhatPhuud wrote:

Ask 10 people to recommend an AntiVirus product and you'll get 11 answers!  There is no "best" for all occasions and computers. Stick with the major brands and find one that works well for you.

I am using Norton Internet Security (not the Comcast Norton) and it fills my needs well. In the past I have used ESET and Kaspersky. Both are excellent choices, as is is Norton.

Gold Problem Solver

I don't put much stock in the ratings. I prefer to try and make up my own mind. Ratings can be manipulated according to WHO is doing the ratings, what their preconceived notions are about products, what system they test them on because some products may not play nice with a computer.

I do use Eset Smart Security 6. No issues at all and it does what it's supposed to do. I have it installed on 4 computers and so far it's worked well on all of them. (as soon as my son-in-law tells me his 6 month subscription to Kaspersky has expired I will use the 5th license for Eset on his computer).

Contributor

As of 4/25/2013, I began a 30-day free vipre internet security 2013 trial.

I had narrowed it down to:Vipre,Kaspersky and BitDefender.

I read multiple reviews.

Thank you for your kind reply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Queen-Evie wrote:

I don't put much stock in the ratings. I prefer to try and make up my own mind. Ratings can be manipulated according to WHO is doing the ratings, what their preconceived notions are about products, what system they test them on because some products may not play nice with a computer.

I do use Eset Smart Security 6. No issues at all and it does what it's supposed to do. I have it installed on 4 computers and so far it's worked well on all of them. (as soon as my son-in-law tells me his 6 month subscription to Kaspersky has expired I will use the 5th license for Eset on his computer).

Contributor

I am now using vipre internet security 2013.