Community Forum

Drop in Wifi strength

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Drop in Wifi strength

Over the course of the last couple of months, the Wifi in my home has basically died except for in the room in which the router is located. When we first got the router, I had the tech. put it on the second floor in my office because that was where my hardwired PC would be. Although sometimes the Wifi would be weak or inconsistent in the house, I never really had any trouble--I could even have a Youtube video going in the basement on my laptop with no lag. However, this started changing a couple of months back. I noticed I was getting increasingly long load times for simple websites when I was trying to work on the first floor and, eventually, this changed to the sites not loading at all.

I figured maybe this was my fault, so I reset the router multiple times with no change. I decided to move the router down to my family room since that is a fairly central location, but now the wifi only works there. On my speed test from multiple sites, the download speed in the same room as the wifi is consistently 1.5 to 2 times greater than it is one room away (we have a fairly open floor plan so there aren't even doors in the way), and when I run the test up one floor, the speed is one tenth of the one-room-away speed and the test quits on the upload speed after sitting in kilobytes and eventually falling to zero. I've read online help guides (including the one on here about 10 ways I may be killing my Wifi), but none of these things seem to apply. At most, we rarely ever have more than three devices on the wifi (2 cell phones and a laptop). Is there something I am missing? I figured I would ask here before calling to have someone come to my house. Thanks in advance for any possible ideas. 

Expert

Re: Drop in Wifi strength

Perhaps a WiFi extender(s), powerline ethernet adapters, or MoCA adapters may provide a solution for you. Google for info.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, I'm looking into purchasing my own router and modem in the next couple of months instead of renting this one so I probably won't be buying anything extra for my current one.

My question remains, however, as to why this would happen after not having problems. I'm still paying the same amount of money now for less service and there have been no big changes in my home that should affect the Wifi strength. 

Expert

Things change. Local environments change. Local WiFi traffic congestion / noise from the neighbor's changes. There are many many variables with WiFi.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

We have 2 phones and a laptop AND THE TECHS SAY THE ORANGE LIGHT ON THE MODEM MEANS IT IS A GOOD SIGNAL...to the laptop CAT5 direct Modem to laptop..but do not tell you to reset it......said restart computer..SCAN TO COMPUTER ERROR MESSAGE NOT CONNECTED  POPS UP SALL THE TIME .......WIFI DROPS ALL THE TIME......I decided toreset Modem...then Wifi worked ,,,,but we have to reset all the time.......WHY?  WE bought the modem andRouter specidied......we know the signal is split 2.4 and 5.......but we don't know enought to get aroundthetech who don'tr know  enough