Community Forum

Does xfinity speed test turn on boost to test itself?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Does xfinity speed test turn on boost to test itself?

Does xfiniity turn on boost to run the speed test?  How can I see my speed without boost?

My download speeds were terrible last night.  Videos on Facebook would start and stop contantly.  Download speeds under 1M.  I opened up speedtest.xfinity.com in another browser window (not tab... it won't let you move off the tab if you are just on another tab) and while it was testing, the rest of the video started downloading very quickly.  As soon as the test was over, the slow download resumed... the video was stopping and starting as it played faster than it could download.

I repeated this experiment through any videos I could find in my feed.  

Hit Play on a video

Observe slow download

Click start speed test in the other window

Watch fast down load until the speed test was done.

Finish speed test and the watch the download crawl again

I must have done this 8-9 times.  If I kept pumping the speedtest button, I kept downloading.

So tell me the truth?  Does xfinity speed test automatically turn on a high speed boost to test with?  If so, how to I test my "normal" speed and get that up to a reasonible standard?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Does xfinity speed test turn on boost to test itself?

Run the DSLReports test several times.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Nah. Comcast is not cheating on the speed test. 

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Regular Visitor

In reference to the dsl speed tests... I can do that... but I have run a half dozen other tests as well.  What would I expect to see by using that tool multiple times?  Perhaps an assist to download speed running another test at the same time?  I didn't try that.

Diamond Problem Solver

@owensbt719 wrote:

Does xfiniity turn on boost to run the speed test?  How can I see my speed without boost?

So tell me the truth?  Does xfinity speed test automatically turn on a high speed boost to test with?   

FWIW, if you are talking about their old Powerboost feature, that has been disabled systemwide a while ago.

Regular Visitor

No boost?  That is interesting.

Another symptom I was seeing was that Google's speed test was accurately reflecting my experience.  When I tested with Google, it would show about 1M download.... which made sense with the choppy, slow video.  When I tested with xfinity, it would show 50 or 60M AND the video that was stuck would start downloading for the duration of the test.

Silver Problem Solver

Wow.  Comcast changed my speed tier from 250 to 400 here in the Houston Market.  About 490 down and about 12 up on several sites.

Speedtest.net on my iPhone7 through my Orbi is 479 down 18 up.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Uh... good for you?

Not sure that that is relevent to my question.  I would be happy to have a real 40-50M.

Silver Problem Solver

@owensbt719 wrote:

Uh... good for you?

Not sure that that is relevent to my question.  I would be happy to have a real 40-50M.

Oops.  Wrong thread.