Community Forum

Do I need a router with the new gateway

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Do I need a router with the new gateway

Do I still need a router with the new gateway
Expert

Re: Do I need a router with the new gateway

No. The gateway devices have a built-in router with WiFi, but you may prefer the performance of a separate router better. If you do use a separate router, put the gateway device in to bridge mode.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@EG wrote:

No. The gateway devices have a built-in router with WiFi, but you may prefer the performance of a separate router better. If you do use a separate router, put the gateway device in to bridge mode.

I disagree! If you are Xfinity Home customer you have already another Router (this outdated Netgear) which limit now your Ethernet outlet to 1

Expert

I stand by what I stated.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@ES2042 wrote:

@EG wrote:

I disagree! If you are Xfinity Home customer you have already another Router (this outdated Netgear) which limit now your Ethernet outlet to 1

I have a new XB6 gateway and it supports XHome without the need for a sidecar, if that is what you mean.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@ES2042 wrote:

@EG wrote:

I have a new XB6 gateway and it supports XHome without the need for a sidecar, if that is what you mean.

yes, that was my thought. So, from my view the only thing you need is a switch for more ethernet. It depends on how you like to run your infrastructure, what the local dependcies are. I add powerline adapter which also extend the WiFi outside of my house.

However, curious how you got rid of the sidecar? Is there an easy way to do this? Or do I need a serivce guy onsite?

Silver Problem Solver

@ES2042 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@ES2042 wrote:

@EG wrote:

yes, that was my thought. So, from my view the only thing you need is a switch for more ethernet. It depends on how you like to run your infrastructure, what the local dependcies are. I add powerline adapter which also extend the WiFi outside of my house.

However, curious how you got rid of the sidecar? Is there an easy way to do this? Or do I need a serivce guy onsite?

I live in the Houston Market which is quite large, as you can imagine.  If you have a gateway that has support for XHome (I had the XB3 before I replaced it with the XB6) it iwas just a tech visit.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!