Community Forum

Data Usage Meter Launched

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: Thanks Comcast!

Well, thanks for the clarification.  Does that mean we should be happy about now?
Official Employee

jonalisa wrote:

I agree 200%. The economy is down and so is the amount of new subscribers. Comcast knows the only way to up their revenue is to find new ways to squeeze their current customers. They have been planning these charges for a while. This is a greed industry, right up there with cell phones.

There are not any charges relating to the 250GB limit.

JL
Internet Services
Official Employee

Re: Data Usage Meter Launched

Rhysdux wrote:

I find this rather creepy. I don't understand the point of monitoring my usage--it makes me feel as if Comcast is telling me not to download anything. I'm paying for UNLIMITED broadband. Now you're changing the package. Again.

I'm NOT pleased. 

Your service is not unlimited.  It is limited to 250GB.  Which should be more than enough for most of the people on the planet.  

What's your data usage according to the meter?  

JL
Internet Services
Official Employee

SpinnerFall wrote:
This is just one more reason to get DSL.  You charge to much money to be throttled like this. $56 a month from a company who provides streaming content but then throttles your usage.  You people are your own problem.

Well, it's a usage limit.  It's not a throttle.  A throttle would say if you do X or Y, then you cannot exceed XXX kbps.

JL
Internet Services
Official Employee

burqueno wrote:

No kidding!  According to the email, hardly anybody will use 250GB which begs the question: Why are you limiting us then??? Corporate greed, that's why. As if we aren't paying them enough for their service already...

We've had a limit for years and years and years.  We were asked to disclose it, which we did.  We then developed a meter to enable customers to see their usage against that limit.

JL
Internet Services
Regular Visitor

Good point, and I noticed the same effect. The thing that irks me is that they come to us and say “we are pleased to announce..”  and “This FEATURE..” OK let’s dissect this; I’m sure THEY are pleased, as this is a tool for THEM to throttle their customers, including the ones not responsible hogging BW. This is not a feature. “Don’t urinate on my foot and tell me it’s raining.” IMHO as long as the playing field is ‘fair’, corporate greed is fine, as it can quickly turn into a noose to which the company will find itself in. “One should never buy a product from a company that insults your intelligence.” Richard P. Feynman – Nobel Prize winning Physicist

New Poster

No kidding!  According to the email, hardly anybody will use 250GB which begs the question: Why are you limiting us then??? Corporate greed, that's why. As if we aren't paying them enough for their service already...

This will be another nail in the Comcast coffin.  Lucky for Albuquerque customers there is a company licensed by the city to do 'Fiber to the Home' installations.  Way more bandwith (especially upstream) at a fraction of the price of cable.  I can't wait to switch and get all of my neighbors to do the same.

Hey Comcast! We only need an Internet connection from your competiors to get all the content we could ever need - we don't need you.

Regular Visitor

Re: New Comcast Useage Meter

I got my pilot launch email a few days ago.  Just checked my usage - 39GB in December, 221GB in January, 288GB in February and 80GB for the first 11 days in March.

There are three computers in my house and a BluRay with Netflix.  In February I watched probably 3 seasons worth of Lost.  Other usage would have been typical web browsing, music downloads, maybe an iso or two of Ubuntu.  In other words - normal stuff, at least for me.

I haven't gotten a call so I assume even though I was over the 250GB limit in February I am still not "one of the heaviest users".

New Poster

This is just one more reason to get DSL.  You charge to much money to be throttled like this. $56 a month from a company who provides streaming content but then throttles your usage.  You people are your own problem.
Message Edited by SpinnerFall on 03-11-2010 02:57 PM
Contributor

I agree 200%. The economy is down and so is the amount of new subscribers. Comcast knows the only way to up their revenue is to find new ways to squeeze their current customers. They have been planning these charges for a while. This is a greed industry, right up there with cell phones.

My internet speed is so slow that I had to call tech support. The fix? Sign up for faster broadband $$$.

My speed was fine 3 years ago - and now I have to pay nearly $100 to get it back?

I'm going to start researching alternatives because Comcast makes me sick to my stomach.

Comcast is counting on a captive market - that even though we lose our jobs we can't let go of their services - think again.

Regular Visitor

Thanks Comcast!

Hello Comcast, 

I just got an email saying you are launching a new feature called a 'usage meter', and you are 'pleased' with the launch. This will be very helpful to me so that I may monitor my usage! I mean, since I am paying you to use your service, I don't want to get greedy and use too much of it! I want to do my part and lower my usage, so that you may spread the bandwidth to others, and bring on more customers. Like you pointed out, 99% of your customers won't need to check the meter since they don't come close to that, and I understand that instead of addressing the 1% that do, that might hurt their feelings. Shot-gunning the problem is always a good idea! (Although it may be that you lack the technical ability/brain power to better solve this problem.)

Anyways, thanks for the new feature, say hello to the Tin Man for me, continue boring holes in your hull, and I’ll pack up and chuckle at you later.

New Poster

Baric

Wake up and smell the coffe...This how they start the price increase!

First you've got to put the frog in the pot of cold water, once he acclimates

.....then you start turning up the heat

This is a long term plan to squeeze more $$$ from customers.

We use sites like HULU for our TV entertainment which means I do'nt need to subscribe to all the  crappy packages Comcast offers.

They're going to get us one way or the other...lets all look for a better provider

New Poster

You are currently setting the limit @ 250GB

You will...as you have with other services you offer...be finding ways to squeeze us for more money.

You have forced us to start looking at a new provider

Not a smart move on your part.

Silver Problem Solver

You're not paying for unlimited broadband.  You were at one time, but Comcast discovered that they can't provide unlimited service, so they changed to this 250GB limit.  But if there's a limit, there has to be a way you can tell how much bandwidth you are consuming or it's a huge legal black hole for Comcast to get their behinds sued off.  

I'm not happy as well about the change from "unlimited" to this 250GB cap.  There were always limits, even when they advertised "unlimited", they just didn't tell anyone except the really heavy users.  That was dishonest and I'm sure they knew that, which is why the change.  But at least now Comcast is setting a limit and giving us a means of actual measurement.  Many people have no clue what their actual usage is, and no idea what kind of data transfer goes on behind each of the services they use.  Now they have a means of seeing that.

I just get the email about the meter being available in this area, so went to go have a look.  No surprise, so far this month, I've used about 9GB.  At this pace, I won't even break 50GB, and I'm a heavy Internet user, with lots of email and web, Netflix online movies, gaming, and multiple systems, iPhones, etc all going through the same modem. 

Frequent Visitor

I find this rather creepy. I don't understand the point of monitoring my usage--it makes me feel as if Comcast is telling me not to download anything. I'm paying for UNLIMITED broadband. Now you're changing the package. Again.

I'm NOT pleased. 

Problem Solver

gaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:
How about a meter of my connection speed. That would be useful to me as a customer. I'd like to be sure that I am getting thre speed that I'm paying for.

this meter is for how much you download

but you can use these for speed test

from comcast

http://speedtest.comcast.net/

other test

http://www.speedtest.net/

New Poster

How about a meter of my connection speed. That would be useful to me as a customer. I'd like to be sure that I am getting thre speed that I'm paying for.
Problem Solver

Look like my area in Connecticut just got the meter

I was just checking on my bill and saw it

my email must still be coming .

Official Employee

TWH wrote:

jlivingood wrote:
If you received the email you have the meter.  If you cannot see the meter, you may not be logged in with the primary account.

We aren't stupid or lying! Despite having been sent the email three weeks ago now, many of us do not I repeat NOT have any sort of meter showing up on our account page.

I am not saying you are either.  If the above is true then just contact customer support and they can assist you.  If that fails to solve the problem, email we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

JL
Internet Services
Silver Problem Solver

Have you done what I suggested? If you received the email and don't see the meter, you need to call Comcast and get them to reprovision your account. For some reason, the database used for the meter doesn't have the correct MAC address of your modem.
Bronze Problem Solver

jlivingood wrote:

If you received the email you have the meter.  If you cannot see the meter, you may not be logged in with the primary account.

I received the email in SE MA at several addresses, although I'm not 100% sure I received it at the primary address; the addresses I received the email at for sure were transferred to a different account. But I only moved about 20 miles, and the previous primary account can't see the meter, either. I see this and this with IE7 and the latest Firefox (no Flash). Am I looking in the wrong place? Are parts of SE MA not covered yet?

Regular Visitor

jlivingood wrote:

We aren't stupid or lying! Despite having been sent the email three weeks ago now, many of us do not I repeat NOT have any sort of meter showing up on our account page.

Official Employee

briangw wrote:

I'm in the western suburbs of the Twin Cities and do not have it either. I've received two informational emails from Comcast and still not way to see the information. I've sent the email an Comcast, so I will wait.

Brian

Message Edited by briangw on 03-06-2010 01:24 PM

JL
Internet Services
Silver Problem Solver

Did you call Comcast like I recommended?
New Poster

I'm in the western suburbs of the Twin Cities and do not have it either. I've received two informational emails from Comcast and still not way to see the information. I've sent the email an Comcast, so I will wait.

Brian

Message Edited by briangw on 03-06-2010 01:24 PM
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Usage Meter Pilot?

The email is mistaken, I believe. Comcast has redesigned the page, and the usage meter for the current month is in the place where My Devices used to be. I think the email was written when the page layout was different, and they forgot to update the email to reflect the changes between the original trial and the rollout to the rest of the country.
Contributor

Just adding my voice to the list here - I started another thread, not realizing this issue was being discussed here: I also have no "My Devices" section. Now, I've not received word that my Usage Meter has launched yet, but I still always used to have a My Devices section. So, now I'm not sure where the meter is supposed to show up when it finally becomes available.
Regular Contributor

Actually, I don't see anything that says "My Devices".  When I select the Users & Settings tab, I see a large area called "Manage My User Accounts".  To the right of that is a smaller box labeled "High Speed Internet Usage" which has a meter for the month and a "View details" link.  It's this link that brings me to the "My Current Data Usage" page, which has this month's usage meter and the Usage History graph on it.

It's a little different than it was described in the email, but it's there.

Regular Contributor

Yep.  February, 11GB.
Silver Problem Solver

If you click on View Details do you see usage for previous months?
Regular Contributor

I'm in the Minneapolis area and my meter is still there, showing zero for the month.

I know I used more than the 11GB on the meter for February, because I have an account with a service that keeps track of how much I download, and it was more than that.  It does look like Comcast didn't start counting until the last couple days of the month.  We'll see what March looks like.

Silver Problem Solver

I wonder if something got lost for you when the month changed and the meter was reset. I'm in the Boston area, and my usage meter is still there, but of course it shows 0 GB so far (I only used 6 GB last month, so don't expect to see it tick up until the end of the week).
New Poster

I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul market and had the details section over the weekend but not showing today.

Anyone else still having this issue?

Silver Problem Solver

If you've been notified that the usage meter has been enabled, and you don't see it on the Users and Settings page of Customer Central, it's most likely due to incorrect provisioning of your account. Get the MAC address and serial number from the modem, call Comcast, and ask them to reprovision it with this information.

Silver Problem Solver

What makes you so sure that it should be more? Are you running your own bandwidth meter? Could it be counting traffic that stays within your LAN? The Comcast meter only cares about traffic to and from the Internet.
Bronze Problem Solver

12xuser wrote:

I just checked it out, and it told me I have used a grand total of 4GB in February.  I know for sure that it should be much more than that.  Unless they just started counting today, they're not doing a great job.

Not that I'm complaining.

shhhhh.... Smiley Wink

TANSTAAFL!!

Regular Contributor

I just checked it out, and it told me I have used a grand total of 4GB in February.  I know for sure that it should be much more than that.  Unless they just started counting today, they're not doing a great job.

Not that I'm complaining.

Regular Visitor

Philomath, OR (97370), about two hours south of Portland.
Silver Problem Solver

Where are you located? The pilot program was in Portland, they're the only ones who should have been notified months ago. The wider rollout just started a few weeks ago, I don't know how rapidly it's going. I'm in the Boston area and I got it a couple of weeks ago, but people in nearby cities and towns don't have it yet.
Regular Visitor

jmb667 wrote:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but anyone still having issues with this?  I have nothing showing where it should be...no device manager, nothing.

Thanks for moving it Barmar.

Anyone have any updates?  I got an email back from Support stating that I would be notified when it was being rolled out in my area...but they already said it'd be available in my area months ago...???

Bronze Problem Solver

Oops.  Sorry, but there was no clue.
Silver Problem Solver

He originally posted that message in the old pilot thread, I moved it here.
Bronze Problem Solver

It's not old, it's still pretty fresh.  And yes, we're still having the (as yet unacknowledged) problem
Regular Visitor

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but anyone still having issues with this?  I have nothing showing where it should be...no device manager, nothing.
Problem Solver

Likewise.  When the DNS helper option was moved to the bottom of the left column, the devices entry disappeared.

Bronze Problem Solver

Just in case you need another voice, I too see nothing where the "My Devices" used to be.
Regular Visitor

bpharm wrote:

I am in the Twin Cities, MN market and got an email on 2/17/10 saying the meter has been launched in my area. I logged in as the primary on the account and there is no View Details link and no My Devices section at all.

Ditto.  Seeing the exact same thing here: nothing. No "My Devices", no "View Details"

Silver Problem Solver

I also don't see a My Devices section, I just see the meter on that page in the place where My Devices used to be. The My Devices section used to have the option to turn DNS Helper on and off, but that's been moved down to where other miscellaneous options are.
Problem Solver

jlivingood wrote:
-- you should see a device there in your acct mgmt console (no matter whether you have the meter yet or not).

What page is it that you are calling "acct mgmt console"? When I log in on https://customer.comcast.com I see under the "Users & Settings" tab that I am the primary account and have the opportunity to create a secondary user, but nowhere under any of the tabs do I see any mention of "device".

Official Employee

bpharm wrote:

I am in the Twin Cities, MN market and got an email on 2/17/10 saying the meter has been launched in my area. I logged in as the primary on the account and there is no View Details link and no My Devices section at all. I e-chatted with a tech and told her about the issue, but she just kept saying "There are no listed outages for the meter, I don't know why you can't view the meter." Even after I told her it may be due to improper provisioning (which I read here) she didn't know what the problem was.

I tried logging in as an unrestricted on the account, no luck. Cleared temp files, power cycled, used Firefox and IE, all with no luck.

What is my next step?

Email we_can_help@cable.comcast.com.  There's some kind of problem with how your account is provisioned -- you should see a device there in your acct mgmt console (no matter whether you have the meter yet or not).

JL
Internet Services