Community Forum

Data Usage Meter Launched

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Data Usage Meter Launched

This Thread Is Now Locked.

Please discuss here.

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

Faster speed doesn't mean you can do more, it just means you don't have to wait as long when you do it. You can watch the same number of shows on Hulu, but you're less likely to see "Buffering". And if you have multiple family members using the Internet at the same time, they're not going to interfere with each other. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Usage meter--- WHY is limiting my usage something I would want?

bevis25 wrote:
I will now be limited to 250g per month.
What do you mean by "now"? Comcast instituted the 250g cap in 2008.
Repeat after me, everyone: the only thing new is being able to see your usage. Comcast has always been measuring it for their internal use, and always been limiting customers. They've NEVER offered unlimited Internet, despite what the advertising said.

Regular Contributor

I suspect the “someone higher up and official at Comcast” isn’t a happy camper to have to deal with PR damage control. Either it is being planned, or you have rogue programmers dealing with corporate customer’s web pages. As they say “That’s why you get the big bucks!” Glad I don’t hear that anymore, you have my sympathies.

I didn’t make any comments on the potential options in the page source code in my above post. But to be fair, it looks like a reasonably fair way to deal with this if it goes through, and I suspect it will. Pay for the extra bandwidth, or get a slowdown until the meter resets at the beginning of the month. I would venture a guess that most ISPs will cap usage. I wouldn’t have a problem with these options as long as the caps moved up with the real world usage.

Silver Problem Solver

Yes, if you look at your data meter and view the source of that web page, you see that text about paying more per gigabyte.

We have asked that someone higher up and official at Comcast check into this.

Regular Contributor

bevis25 –The meter is not a big benefit, but you will probably need it when they switch over to paying for going over the limit.

Tweaked – You can only go by what they present to you, unfortunately. Looks like a bug somewhere based on your comments. I would ask Comcast why this happened. Maybe the January numbers weren’t a full month, they should be able to tell you this. They also should be able to go back and tell your usage since they have been tracking this for a long time. The only new thing is letting you see it. As I posted above, I have my doubts about the meters accuracy. I read your post in 100% pure bandwidth (url below), you are correct, the meter page has hidden notes, looks like they are getting ready for some changes. Nice catch! Really amazes me their programmers overlooked this, you get what you pay for.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=29&thread.id=18389

If you don’t believe the hidden notes (copy below), do the following on your High-Speed Internet Data Usage, View details. Right mouse button, “view source” is the fastest, scroll down to the notes. Or right mouse “select all”, right mouse “copy”. Open up word, right mouse “paste”.

Please note
By choosing this option, there will be an additional per Gigabyte charge for every Gigabyte you use above your data usage allowance. This charge will appear on your monthly billing statement for the next billing cycle.
OK
close

Please note
By choosing this option, you can continue to use the Internet at a slower speed, which will not affect any VOIP services, such as Vonage, you may use. The slower speed will only be in effect until the last day of the current billing cycle.
OK
close

Please Note
Your billing preference cannot be changed because you have reached the maximum number of changes per billing cycle.
OK
close

Please note
By choosing this selection, your Internet speed will be slowed down when your monthly allowance has been reached.

New Poster

Usage meter--- WHY is limiting my usage something I would want?

I just received notice that the usage meter is coming to my area.  It is presented as some kind of big benefit! I will now be limited to 250g per month.  I checked my usage for the past three months and I used an average of 450g a month.  Why the limit to 250g?  There is no reason to institute this restriction.  Do we have any way to say "no thanks" to this special offer as an appreciated comcast customer?
Regular Contributor

Flabbergast., 

as another telecom professional it also makes me sad that Comcast follows the path  of Worldcom, Enron and AOL/TW, soon to be in the ditch,  focused on stock price not moving our country forward.  

If one simply browses these forums you see a company at war with its customers, a situation that will not last long.  

New Poster

Why should I care what my usage is??? Comcast said "unlimited usage" in the begining, if I remember correctly. Is this an ominous sign of some future move by Comcast to charge customers per MB of usage or some such ridiculous thing??? If so, good-bye Comcast and good luck!!
Diamond Problem Solver

My feeling is that one should never look a gift horse in the mouth. Smiley Wink
Regular Contributor

I got this today.  The measurement seems a little on the low side.  For example, my router is reporting a total of about 17 GB for March so far.  The Comcast usage meter is reporting 11 GB.  My router only measures WAN traffic so if anything the router's total should be less than Comcast's.  

For February it lists 4 GB, while my router lists 34 GB, though the usage meter might not have been active the entire month.

Problem Solver

Re: Usage meter

Firemouse wrote:
Already pricing Verizon

And that's fine if that's your decision, but do keep in mind that Verizon has already discussed possibly going towards a metered billing system.  Just something to remember.
Gold Problem Solver

Why are you so upset about a device that tells you what your usage is?

Please give me RATIONAL explanations, no rants, no discussion of the cap. I'm aware of the caps issue and how people feel about it.

Silver Problem Solver

Could the information from the meter get onto our bills? Having a little chart in the bill that shows month-by-month usage for the past year would help far more than a meter we have to find online.

New Poster

Re: Usage meter

Already pricing Verizon
Diamond Problem Solver

jlivingood wrote:

Once we finish deployment in all markets, we'll refocus on dev and this is one of the top features we have on the list. 

Good deal Jason ! Smiley Happy

Silver Problem Solver

Looks like Verizon have an invisible, undefined cap, but reports are that they seldom enforce any bandwidth limitations.

This is from their TOS:

Restrictions on Use. The Service is a consumer grade service and is not designed for or intended to be used for any commercial purpose. You may not resell the Service, use it for high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute such use (commercial or non-commercial). If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service, but only through a single Verizon-issued IP address. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

ALSO, for all you paranoids out there, their TOS also contains this:

Monitoring of Network Performance by Verizon. Verizon automatically measures and monitors network performance and the performance of your Internet connection and our network. We also will access and record information about your computer and Equipment's profile and settings and the installation of software we provide. You agree to permit us to access your computer and Equipment and to monitor, adjust and record such data, profiles and settings for the purpose of providing the Service. You also consent to Verizon's monitoring of your Internet connection and network performance, and to our accessing and adjusting your computer settings, as they relate to the Service, Software, or other services, which we may offer from time to time. We do not share information collected for the purpose of network or computer performance monitoring or for providing customized technical support outside of Verizon or its authorized vendors, contractors and agents.

All pretty standard stuff in any ISP's TOS. I'm sure the Comcast  TOS contains similar phraseology. If you don't bother to read it thoroughly before you sign up, you don't really have a basis for complaint.

If you read the Verizon TOS, it also places disclaimers on the speed of your connection, basically saying that you might get what you pay for, and you might not, depending on numerous factors. Pretty much what Comcast says...

Now, I am not saying one way or the other whether Vz has a better track record of delivering on what it sells that CC, as I don't have the experience to compare the two, so don't start giving me grief over that. All I posted is what I saw on the Vz website. As the TOS of both companies are written (I'm sure) by lawyers, they are both going to be substantially similar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Usage meter

The day they tell me I've exceeded my usage limit is the day I switch ISP!!
Official Employee

irateb wrote:
My question and/or feature request is, can the system be made to generate a warning email rather than me having to log in? It doesn't make any sense (to me at least) to have a user have to log in and navigate through a web site to look at a graph if they are never going to be close to the limit. I'd rather get warned that I am close, and I can decide to slow down or do the necessary monitoring then...

I agree and others have made this feature request as well.  Once we finish deployment in all markets, we'll refocus on dev and this is one of the top features we have on the list. 

JL
Internet Services
New Poster

Joel wrote:

Mrite,

The cap isn't going to affect gamers. The only folks this cap will affect are those who download/upload large quantities of multi-media files, and you almost have to do this 24/7 to exhaust your monthly bandwidth allotment of 250GB. 

Really, I can download a 1.5 Gb torrent file sometimes at 1Mb/sec or more meaning 15 minutes or so to download, and at the same time it is uploading.  Our friends at Comcast apparently count the download and upload, so if I leave the torrent uploading to get 1.5 Gb up, which many torrent sites require, then that 15 minute download counts as 3Gb, right?  So if I did that 85 times in one month, I would go over, 85 x .25 hours = 22 hours of downloading in a month, that doesn't sound like 24/7 to me, sounds like I could do it in a few days if I really tried.

This will get worse as people download bigger and bigger files, and ISP provides faster speeds.  Does FIOS have such a cap? 

New Poster

This is a very entertaining thread. I too, am mad at a cap on my internet when it was advertised as unlimited, but like most of the Comcast peeps had pointed out, most will never come close. Anyhow, I hadn't really tested the limits because of inferior hardware, but I just got a brand new laptop and have increased my usage 8x over the last couple months, and it'll probably only get worse when my wife finishes with grad school and is back to being home most of the time, so I am getting very close to the 250GB limit. My question and/or feature request is, can the system be made to generate a warning email rather than me having to log in? It doesn't make any sense (to me at least) to have a user have to log in and navigate through a web site to look at a graph if they are never going to be close to the limit. I'd rather get warned that I am close, and I can decide to slow down or do the necessary monitoring then...
Silver Problem Solver

davegreen wrote:

As for this statement “Furthermore, the reporting system maintains that accuracy throughout all the elements of the meter system—up to and including the final view as seen on the customer portal.” I bet someone would like to retract that statement, and go back and do some real testing.

The meter accurately displays what Comcast considers your usage to have been. If Comcast has reset your account, the meter will reflect this. Since this is the same data that's used to determine if you're an excessive user, that's what's most important.
It's like the odometer in your car. It's normally accurate, but if a service tech rolls it back it will not report correctly.

Silver Problem Solver

Edit: The post I was replying to here was removed for privacy concerns. Please do not post your email address, other people's email addresses, or other personal information in your messages. I should have moved it instead of/in addition to replying.

One part of that message was about the large salaries of Comcast executives relative to the pay of average Americans. Another part concerned lobbying the local franchising authority to force Comcast to enhance their network so that no bandwidth cap would be necessary

I agree with your opinion of the outlandish salaries. However, making the rather high 250 GB bandwidth cap public and giving customers a way to see how much bandwidth they are using doesn't seem abusive to me.

Do you know how much bandwidth you are using each month?

I don't need (and don't want to pay the taxes for) a four-lane highway between town and my subdivision unless it's necessary. The traffic doesn't require it except for the few times I need to go around the farm machinery and trash trucks.

We expect the technology to keep improving. Why force a company to put in an over-abundance of today's technology? Why not grow gradually and put in appropriate support systems when necessary with tomorrow's technology?

Yes, if your system is overloaded, insist on upgrades.

But most people don't know how much bandwidth they are using. Comcast says they set that 250GB cap high and that only a small percentage of customers exceed it. Is that true? How can legislators know what's true if no one has a way to measure their usage?

I don't have the meter here yet. How much does your meter say you're using? Perhaps you could do a survey of your neighbors' data usage. Is the 250 GB cap unreasonable? How many people are running into it? How many are close?

Message Edited by BethKatz on 03-17-2010 01:39 PM
Regular Contributor

JL,

Thanks for the input. You need to look at this from a customer’s perspective, not your corporate view point. All I have to go by is what I see. And what I see is a flawed system that wasn’t properly tested, implemented in house, and rolled out to customers.

The facts and your response speak for themselves. It wasn’t properly tested and implemented. Too many failure points to make this a robust system. If someone in your organization can alter the data viewed by the customer from a simple online chat, you have some serious internal problems.

As for this statement “Furthermore, the reporting system maintains that accuracy throughout all the elements of the meter system—up to and including the final view as seen on the customer portal.” I bet someone would like to retract that statement, and go back and do some real testing.

Official Employee

davegreen wrote:

Some Data Usage Meter observations;

I live in the Portland OR area, so I have had the meter for a few months. My internet connection went down Wednesday 3/10. It came back after a few minutes, but very slow < 1Mbps. I logged on to my account to check the outage board, no errors, but did notice the Data Usage Meter had a notation that it wasn’t available for this account.

JL: Sounds like you have a temporary account error or something on your particular acct got messed up

I power cycled the cable modem, still slow, but fast enough to contact Comcast on chat. The tech said there was “node” maintenance (failure more likely) and all would be well in a few hours. As far as the Data Usage Meter, it is a pilot so it may still have problems, sounds reasonable. My connection speed was back after a few minutes, but no meter. I will give them a few days to fix it.

Friday 3/12 still no meter, only the “not available for this account”. Should be fixed by now, so I contact Comcast on chat. After getting the tech off the “standard fix script, reset your browser bla bla bla” she reset my modem and somehow hosed my account login. I couldn’t login and she reset my password. She said she could re-provision my modem, or wait and it would start working after I logged more usage. I told her I already had history and ~ 22g for March, doesn’t sound right. After the account hosing, I said no to the re-provision. I don’t want to take a chance on connection issues. She assured me all would be well

So checking on Saturday 3/13 the meter was there, no history and 1 g of usage. History gone, ~22g March usage gone.

JL: That's logical - as care did not do the right thing.  Instead, they blew away your acct and re-provisioned it.  In the process, and as an expected and normal side effect, all of your usage was lost.  I'll need to take this up with the care org - this should not have been the action taken for this sort of issue, and I am sorry you have lost your accumulated data usage history.

Some personal thoughts / opinions;

1) The meter is not accurate if it can’t log cumulative data for the customer to view. Many will say “who cares you got a break!”. Don’t think so if you are close to your limit, I suspect what a customer sees and what Comcast stores in its database aren’t the same, or I wouldn’t have been zeroed out for the month. Who’s to say the system doesn’t go down multiple times a month and you get reset! You check at the end of the month, and all looks good, but what you see and what is really logged aren’t the same.

JL: What you experienced is not related to the meter - it's related to your acct being reprovisioned when it should not have been.

2) Looks like NetForecasts per their pdf only did accuracy tests under perfect conditions. I don’t see any reference to stress testing under fault conditions. It would seem to me if they did, then what I am seeing would show up in testing. Either the meter is accurate or not, it’s black and white. If it can’t show cumulative data to a customer, it’s worthless. From what I am seeing is it is not accurate, at least from my viewpoint.

JL: They tested under a variety of conditions.  But what you experienced is unrelated to the meter -- your acct and your history was deleted and your acct recreated.

JL
Internet Services
Official Employee

davegreen wrote:

Barmar,

What doesn’t make sense is trying to push a flawed meter. Very simple, either it is accurate or not. This has an accuracy hole big enough to drive a mack truck through. I am really surprise Comcast would release such a flawed system.

Apparently they didn’t do a whole lot of testing, this should have been caught way before it was released to a customer. Makes me wonder about the validity of anything they have published about this meter.

The meter is not flawed.  I'd have to look @ your acct to see why it was temporarily zero'd out, but it sounds like there was a service issue.  

And for the record, we did a vast amount of testing.

JL
Internet Services
Official Employee

Mindy10 wrote:
I would like to know if I can watch Netflix Instant streaming tv, does that affect the 250 gb.   I don't know if streaming means it downloads the video, I share a internet account with my 2 bothers.  And, I go to school online, so I am not sure how much we use everymonth.  My brothers and I are worried about watching tv with the netflix instant streaming online.  How do I know how many movies and tv shows we can watch on it a month?

I am sure other customers here can share their experience but you can do a heck of a lot of movie streaming and other big downloading w/o coming close to the limit.  Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it.  Most people are around 2GB or so I think.

JL
Internet Services
Regular Visitor

Re: New Comcast Useage Meter

I agree entirely!
Regular Contributor

Barmar,

What doesn’t make sense is trying to push a flawed meter. Very simple, either it is accurate or not. This has an accuracy hole big enough to drive a mack truck through. I am really surprise Comcast would release such a flawed system.

Apparently they didn’t do a whole lot of testing, this should have been caught way before it was released to a customer. Makes me wonder about the validity of anything they have published about this meter.

Silver Problem Solver

If Comcast were to send you a warning about excessive use, and you then pointed out that the meter shows low use, I think they would have to capitulate. It doesn't make sense to provide a meter and then say that it's not relevant.
Regular Contributor

Some Data Usage Meter observations;

I live in the Portland OR area, so I have had the meter for a few months. My internet connection went down Wednesday 3/10. It came back after a few minutes, but very slow < 1Mbps. I logged on to my account to check the outage board, no errors, but did notice the Data Usage Meter had a notation that it wasn’t available for this account.

I power cycled the cable modem, still slow, but fast enough to contact Comcast on chat. The tech said there was “node” maintenance (failure more likely) and all would be well in a few hours. As far as the Data Usage Meter, it is a pilot so it may still have problems, sounds reasonable. My connection speed was back after a few minutes, but no meter. I will give them a few days to fix it.

Friday 3/12 still no meter, only the “not available for this account”. Should be fixed by now, so I contact Comcast on chat. After getting the tech off the “standard fix script, reset your browser bla bla bla” she reset my modem and somehow hosed my account login. I couldn’t login and she reset my password. She said she could re-provision my modem, or wait and it would start working after I logged more usage. I told her I already had history and ~ 22g for March, doesn’t sound right. After the account hosing, I said no to the re-provision. I don’t want to take a chance on connection issues. She assured me all would be well.

So checking on Saturday 3/13 the meter was there, no history and 1 g of usage. History gone, ~22g March usage gone.

Some personal thoughts / opinions;

1) The meter is not accurate if it can’t log cumulative data for the customer to view. Many will say “who cares you got a break!”. Don’t think so if you are close to your limit, I suspect what a customer sees and what Comcast stores in its database aren’t the same, or I wouldn’t have been zeroed out for the month. Who’s to say the system doesn’t go down multiple times a month and you get reset! You check at the end of the month, and all looks good, but what you see and what is really logged aren’t the same.

2) Looks like NetForecasts per their pdf only did accuracy tests under perfect conditions. I don’t see any reference to stress testing under fault conditions. It would seem to me if they did, then what I am seeing would show up in testing. Either the meter is accurate or not, it’s black and white. If it can’t show cumulative data to a customer, it’s worthless. From what I am seeing is it is not accurate, at least from my viewpoint.

Excerpt from NetForecasts report, check out the bold section, don’t think so!

“Based on the results of our extensive testing and analsysis, NetForecast validates the
accuracy of the Comcast meter for subscribers connected to the Cisco 10000 CMTS to
be accurate within plus-or-minus 0.5% over the month. Furthermore, the reporting
system maintains that accuracy throughout all the elements of the meter system—up to
and including the final view as seen on the customer portal
. This statement applies
when comparing the meter with the actual traffic sent to and from the cable modem,
which includes some protocol overhead as explained above.”

3) Hopefully they will fix it before it is rolled out to everyone else, right now it’s an interesting experiment based on my experience. All I have to judge it by is what I see online, you can try to spin the facts anyway you want, but it’s not accurate.

4) So what really happens when your usage gets zeroed out, does Comcast’s database zero out also. I doubt it, so what numbers are used to determine if you are a excessive user, what I see or what Comcast sees?

Silver Problem Solver

glmiller9561 wrote:

This will heavily weigh against considering comcast for my ISP I move out of Tallahassee where it is the only acceptable internet connection. 

What broadband ISPs have larger (or no) usage limits? I think Time Warner's limit is something like 10 or 20 GB. I believe Comcast's cap is the largest in the industry.

Problem Solver

glmiller9561 wrote:

Will there be a way for me to pay more to have a bigger usage cap?

I am not happy with this, regardless if I am under my usage budget.  This will heavily weigh against considering comcast for my ISP I move out of Tallahassee where it is the only acceptable internet connection. 

There is nothing right now that would allow someone to pay more to gain extra cap useage in the residential accounts.  You could end up going to a business account which I don't believe has a cap on it.  It would cost you a bit more a month though I believe.
Problem Solver

Mindy10 wrote:
I would like to know if I can watch Netflix Instant streaming tv, does that affect the 250 gb.   I don't know if streaming means it downloads the video, I share a internet account with my 2 bothers.  And, I go to school online, so I am not sure how much we use everymonth.  My brothers and I are worried about watching tv with the netflix instant streaming online.  How do I know how many movies and tv shows we can watch on it a month?

Yes that would affect the cap.  I believe the information is somewhat about 2 gigs for a standard def movie with an hd being about 4.  That would mean you'd look at about 60 movies a month to be downloaded to hit the cap if they are hd.  Your school is going to count but very minimal as it's not a lot of data being moved across the network I'd imagien.
Frequent Visitor

Will there be a way for me to pay more to have a bigger usage cap?

I am not happy with this, regardless if I am under my usage budget.  This will heavily weigh against considering comcast for my ISP I move out of Tallahassee where it is the only acceptable internet connection. 

New Poster

Official Employee

Rhysdux wrote:

JL:

Thank you for posting the links to the the FAQs about the 250GB policy. I'd learned about them from another customer, as they hadn't been included in Comcast's email to me, but nevertheless, I'm glad you're promoting them.

And you raise a great point in my mind: why doesn't the email link off to the FAQ so you needn't go searching for it?  I'll ask the person who puts the emails together to include the FAQ link tomorrow.  That may not help you, but you've made a good enough point that it should be a bit easier on the next waves of customers to get this email.

JL
Internet Services
Official Employee

Re: Thanks Comcast!

burqueno wrote:
Well, thanks for the clarification.  Does that mean we should be happy about now?

Not necessarily.  Happiness is up to you.  But keeping things in perspective, I'm not sure I'd let either a usage meter or a 250GB limit ruin your day.  

JL
Internet Services
Regular Visitor

jlivingood wrote: 

I'll add that to the feature request list...

That would be great!  Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

JL:

Thank you for posting the links to the the FAQs about the 250GB policy. I'd learned about them from another customer, as they hadn't been included in Comcast's email to me, but nevertheless, I'm glad you're promoting them.

Official Employee

jmgleason wrote:

For the record - I have no problem with a meter to see my usage.  I would like to be able to see it on a daily basis though.  Aggregated for the onth doesn't provide me enough detail to see when my usage is happening.  I'd much prefer a nice MRTG graph where the time scale can be changed from monthly to daily to hourly.

I'll add that to the feature request list...

JL
Internet Services
Official Employee

HowstheTinMan wrote:
Jlivingood – From one technical person to another your statement “It is not a throttle” is technically not true. A ‘limiter’ IS a type of throttle, and a throttle is not a limiter.  A cat IS an animal, an animal is not a cat.

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you.  When you hit 250GB, what happens?  It is possible you *may* receive a phone call.  See this FAQ.  I can't see how that's a throttle, or even a cat.  ;-)

I understand the underlying unhappiness over having a 250GB limit, but it is what it is.

JL
Internet Services
Official Employee

Rhysdux wrote:

Jlivingood--

My usage--which is none of your bloody business, by the way!--is not the issue. The fact that you're monitoring my usage IS.

I don't know why you're monitoring your customers' usage. I don't know what happens if I exceed that limitation--do I pay extra? Does my service get cut off for the month? What? I don't know why a package that was labeled "unlimited broadband" when I bought it has suddenly transformed into something else.

And I certainly don't see why this unpleasant and intrusive monitoring is now being marketed as a feature rather than a flaw.

I've asked these questions repeatedly, by the way. I'm still waiting for answers. I just keep being told that this is a new feature and that I should be delighted with it. 

Well, I'm not delighted. I'm not delighted at ALL.

To be clear, we couldn't care less what content you consume or create or what sites you visit, etc.  But we do limit the service to 250GB, which is disclosed in your AUP here.  All we do is count the bytes going over the wire, plain and simple.

As to why we do so, our network management practices are here and the specific FAQs on 250GB are here.

JL
Internet Services
Problem Solver

jmgleason wrote:

For the record - I have no problem with a meter to see my usage.  I would like to be able to see it on a daily basis though.  Aggregated for the onth doesn't provide me enough detail to see when my usage is happening.  I'd much prefer a nice MRTG graph where the time scale can be changed from monthly to daily to hourly.

When I got home today I checked the computers on my home network.  My teenage son had turned on Limewire file sharing and looks like a fair amount of traffic was probably from that program.  Of course I fixed it but it would have been nice to see the usage in at least an hourly chart so I could see the dropoff in use after the change.

you can see your meter everyday

going by comcast there just a 3 hour delay from what is listed there

just go here

https://customer.comcast.com/Secure/Users.aspx

Regular Visitor

When I got home today I checked the computers on my home network.  My teenage son had turned on Limewire file sharing and looks like a fair amount of traffic was probably from that program.  Of course I fixed it but it would have been nice to see the usage in at least an hourly chart so I could see the dropoff in use after the change.

Silver Problem Solver

First of all, I'm not a Comcast employee (you don't see a Comcast logo next to my name, do you?), I'm a customer like you.

What I mean is that Comcast has to know how much traffic they're carrying, so they can design their network to have sufficient capacity for it. They also have to watch trends, so they can plan for the future.

It's like a supermarket chain has to track how many of each product they sell, and which stores they sell in, so they can plan future orders accordingly and negotiate prices with the wholesalers.

You might argue that they can do this by tracking aggregate traffic, not metering each customer. That will provide some information, but it's not complete. It's often important to know how many customers will be affected by a design decision, and this requires more fine-grained monitoring.

Anyway, Comcast announced the 250 GB/mo cap about a year and a half ago. When they did this, customers complained that there was no way to see how they were doing relative to this. How can you say that it's not a feature to provide what customers asked for? You can certainly argue that the limit is a bad idea, but given that there's a limit, how can you argue against the meter?

Frequent Visitor

Barmar--

I don't know what you mean by engineering the network.

And I think you've just touched on the main problem with this. To you, it's obvious why the limitation on broadband and the monitoring are necessary--so much so that you and your fellow Comcast employees aren't bothering to explain why to the lay person.

To a substantial portion of your customers, neither of these things is obvious.

To quote from Cool Hand Luke, "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

Regular Visitor

Rhysdux -

Don't worry, it's like when politicians say "We are going to put up a toll booth, and only charge tractor trailers, not anyone else… we promise.” So there's really nothing to worry about....

Jlivingood – From one technical person to another your statement “It is not a throttle” is technically not true. A ‘limiter’ IS a type of throttle, and a throttle is not a limiter.  A cat IS an animal, an animal is not a cat.

Silver Problem Solver

Rhysdux wrote:

Jlivingood--

My usage--which is none of your bloody business, by the way!--is not the issue. The fact that you're monitoring my usage IS.

Of course it's their business. How do you expect them to engineer the network without knowing how much bandwidth they need?

And I certainly don't see why this unpleasant and intrusive monitoring is now being marketed as a feature rather than a flaw.
How many times does it have to be pointed out that the monitoring is not new? They've been doing that as long as they've been in business. The "feature" is that customers can now see what Comcast already knows about their usage. Don't you agree that transparency is better?
Message Edited by Barmar on 03-11-2010 02:46 PM
Frequent Visitor

Jlivingood--

I don't know why you're monitoring your customers' usage. I don't know what happens if I exceed that limitation--do I pay extra? Does my service get cut off for the month? What? I don't know why a package that was labeled "unlimited broadband" when I bought it has suddenly transformed into something else.

I've asked these questions repeatedly, by the way. I'm still waiting for answers. I just keep being told that this is a new feature and that I should be delighted with it. 

Well, I'm not delighted. I'm not delighted at ALL.