Community Forum

DNS Error? Can't Access One Particular Website, Problem Only Occurs at Home

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: DNS Error? Can't Access One Particular Website Network- Works fine on Verison

Post split out in to a new thread here on this board. Click on the above link to follow it. Five year old thread now closed.

Contributor

Re: RESULTS: P.S. Re: DNS Error? Can't Access One Particular Website, Problem Only Occurs at Home

heidilaf77 wrote:

Personal Information protection

Comcast is installing a new router and modem for us next, week, hoping that fixes it.

Yup, that's what I had to "destroy", Personal Information protection.

Well, I hope that it works out for you, but honestly, because you can surf other sites, and the like, I doubt it will change things....

If you have the patience to try my suggestion on Firefox and it works, then you know its a content blocking issue by some security or privacy software on your machine.

If you're not into Firefox, you can try Apple's Safari for Windows as well.

What the above is trying to do is get something that McAffee can't muck up and/or starting off with fresh browser settings (in case some items were disabled by accident on IE), without going through some steps that may make things worse - on that note, please don't listen to suggestions (if any) on uninstalling/reinstalling Internet Explorer - you do not want that headache.

Also, if memory serves, uninstalling McAffee isn't that straightforward either (don't ask). So you're on the right track by being on the line with McAffee before attempting such.

Contributor

Re: RESULTS: P.S. Re: DNS Error? Can't Access One Particular Website, Problem Only Occurs at Home

Hi Heidilaf77,

I can confirm the interstitial page (interim page) is how you get to their site. For the life of me, why some web sites think this is good practice escapes me...but I guess they need to make money somehow. I'm digressing, apologies Smiley Happy

But yes, depending on how strict your Privacy settings are, its possible that this is where the issue is. 

Other things to check (because of the interstitial page):

• Do you have JavaScript disabled?
  • Or, is McAfee restricting scripts?

Interstitial pages, rely on Javascript to redirect. So if scripting is disabled, this could be an issue.And yes, I tried to visit the site, and it's loading a lot of "other stuff". 

I do know that Internet Explorer allows deep integration with Security software (McAfee, Norton, etc.), so if you're at your wits end, and don't really want to muck up your settings to the point where you can't reset things back to where they were, I would suggest you download and use Firefox at:

And don't install plug-ins , just run it "clean" without any add-ons - this way, it's out of the clutches of other software that want to decide things for you Smiley Happy

I don't use McAfee on my main PC, but have it on another laptop. I do know it even has some "content control" feature, that basically means wherever you go, the content first passes through some filter on their (McAfee) network. I had to totally disable that to save my sanity...

Contributor

Hi Ed, thanks for the info. I've been on chat w/McAfee and we've tried disabling the system and it doesn't help. I also tried turning off the Personal Information protection and that doesn't help either. I can get to Google Sponsored Link ads just fine so no idea why an interstitial on Entrepreneur.com would foul us up as all the other @*#&&#*!*@ on the Internet gets through just fine :-].

Comcast is installing a new router and modem for us next, week, hoping that fixes it. As you can see from the thread, a Comcast moderator and Entrepreneur.com have been trying to resolve this as well. It's just frustrating for everyone and yes, mysterious. Thanks for your input!

Contributor

Hi Heidilaf77,

I don't think it's the same issue - only because what we in the San Francisco Bay Area are experiencing right now seems to be isolated to a network that Comcast "goes through" for some web sites (CNN, Wikipedia, etc.).

I've read the thread and it certainly is a mystery.

• I don't think Entrepreneur.com would block you at all (that would mean they're blocking Comcast), so you can scratch that.
  • If you can seem to connect to their blog, it somewhat makes because their blog is hosted elsewhere - re: not the same place as their web site (at least from what I can see)
  • this does seem to indicate a block somewhere, I just don't think it's Entrepreneur.com doing it

So

• does your router have blocking functions? Highly unlikely if you've never configured it, but it's worth a look
  • have you checked McAfee settings? Maybe you said "Yes" to something in the past when it warned you about some "ads", resulting in a block?
  • I think someone mentioned above that Entrepreneur.com has an ad interstitial that you see first before being sent to their web site - I have to tell you that security software (i.e. McAfee, etc.) will block that, or rather, not do the "redirection".
    • A perfect example is when you click on a Google "sponsored link" on the Google web site
    • Often, firms paying Google for advertising will also contract it out to a "tracking service" - in order for them to audit the performance of their ads
    • Sadly, some tracking firms accomplish this via the "redirection method" - this just means that if someone clicks on the ad, the user is first sent to a page that tracks that click, and then redirects, to the destination.
    • this "interim page" (where tracking occurs), is something that Anti-Virus software packages usually block - usually in the Privacy features of that package - re: the rationale is that well, privacy means you shouldn't be tracked. Ergo, they "stop" your browser from going through....

So, try disabling the Privacy feature of McAfee and see if that works.

New Poster

Hi Heidilaf77. You may be on the other side of the break, or, this may be a different issue. Are you having trouble with any other sites? EdSF and I are both in the bay area and the drop is in LA. If you send a request to a site in the bay area having the smae connectivity problem, the reply would never reach you. But on the other hand, I see that your problem started yesterday, so it is less likely to be this.
Contributor

EdSF, I'm in Boston area and my problem is only happening with one website -- Entrepreneur.com. Strange thing is other friends who have Comcast and are in Mass. are not having the problem. Have you called Comcast tech support? Hoping if enough people tell them what's happening, they can get to the root of the problem.
Contributor

Hi Celestra, I can get to CNN and Wikipedia just fine -- still can't get to Entrepreneur.com  I hope Comcast can figure out the problem. A Comcast tech is coming Tues. to give us a new router and modem.

Have you raised your issue with Comcast tech support? Can't hurt if enough customers come forward.

Contributor

Hi,

Just posted something that maybe helpful:

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=5&thread.id=109981

Am experiencing the same. It seems like a Level3 Network routing issue - re: if your route goes through Level3.

Can get to the sites from office VPN (via AT&T), but not from home....

New Poster

I think this is a bigger network connectivity issue. I can reach comcast.net this morning (obviously) but not cnn.com or wikipedia.net. Both resolve fine, but the ping times out. Ironically, I also can't connect to the comcast outage board. This may also be your problem. Try going to cnn.com or wikipedia.net.

Contributor

Hi, when I actually typed those test URLs into my browser, I used the http://  Had some trouble posting here when I tried to copy/paste those URLs -- got HTML errors and wouldn't let me post here -- so that's why I shortened the links just to show which test sites worked (http://test2.entrepreneur.com/) and which didn't (the rest of them). Hope that makes sense!
Bronze Problem Solver

chc1234 wrote:

Based on the latest test results, the Entrepreneur.com has made some changes to the test site configurations and is asking that you retest the following:

test3.entrepreneur.com(again)

test.entrepreneur.com(again)

and

test3.entrepreneur.com:8199

Thanks! 

Those first two links don't go to entrepreneur.com, but rather to a non-existant Comcast forum page. Was that your intention?

Contributor

Hi, unfortunately I can't get to any of the new test pages -- all tested at 7:50 p.m. ET.

test3.entrepreneur.com and test.entrepreneur.com give a DNS error in the lower left of my Explorer (the same DNS error I'd typed in several messages ago, above) and test3.entrepreneur.com:8199 just returns the usual "Cannot display page" error.

A representative from Comcast tech support called my home today to check on the problem...I told her we were trying to resolve it here in the Forum. In addition, she suggested Comcast come out next week to swap out my Netgear router/modem for a separate router and modem setup. So I made an appt. to have that done on Tues. Unless this can be resolved before that. THANKS for trying to help, it is frustrating for everyone I'm sure!

Official Employee

Based on the latest test results, the Entrepreneur.com has made some changes to the test site configurations and is asking that you retest the following:

test3.entrepreneur.com(again)

test.entrepreneur.com(again)

and

test3.entrepreneur.com:8199

Thanks! 

Contributor

Hi,

CANNOT get to the TEST3 site. Tried at 7:55 a.m. Tues. March 3

Also I retried the other links above and still CANNOT get to the original TEST site. 7:56 a.m.

CAN get to the TEST2 site. 7:57 a.m.

Thank you!

Official Employee

Hi Heidi,

After further discussions with the folks at Entrepreneur.com, they have another test site for us access.

Can you try to access test3.entrepreneur.com?  And as before please note the time that this test is attempted.

Thanks!

Contributor

OK THANKS, my latest results:

1. CANNOT get to the first TEST.entrepreneur.com site, tried at 6:35 p.m. ET (computer hung and then got the familiar Cannot Display Page error)

2. CAN get to the TEST2.entrepreneur.com site (instantly!), tried at 6:36 p.m. ET :-)

I can try both sites again in the morning during regular business hours if that helps (as that's when I'd normally try to access the site myself.)

THANKS so much for working with Entrepreneur.com to resolve the problem!

Official Employee

Thanks Heidi for posting back the results of our test.  From the information you have provided the problem seems to be pointing to the server housing the entrepreneur.com website.  I have passed this information to the hosting facility and entrepreneur.com and they have put up additional test sites in an effort to resolve this issue.

The two sites are:

http://test.entrepreneur.com

http://test2.entrepreneur.com

Please try to get to these sites and post back the results.  A key piece of information we will need is the time you attempt to access the 2 test sites so please provide the time with your results. 

Thanks! 

Contributor

Hi Melvin, THANKS for unearthing that setting for me -- turned it off and no more Google-search bounce. Now I'm just getting the familiar "This page cannot be displayed" message. At least we've ruled out the Google search issue. THANKS!
Problem Solver

heidilaf77 wrote:

RESULT: I am still unable to get to www.entrepreneur.com and I get bounced to the Google search results page:  http://www.google.com/search?q=www.entrepreneur.com 

The setting to turn off that automatic search from the address bar is well hidden. From the Tools menu, select "Internet Options" and then click on the "Advanced" tab. Scroll about 3/4 of the way down and you'll find a short section, "Search from the Address bar". (It's after "Java" and "Printing" and just before "Security".) Select the "Do not search ..." option.

While you're typing, you'll still see "Search for ...", but no search will be performed. If the connection fails, you'll just get the standard "Internet Explorer cannot display ..." page.

Contributor

RESULTS: P.S. Re: DNS Error? Can't Access One Particular Website, Problem Only Occurs at Home

OK, here's where I'm at. First, per Barmar's suggestion, I disabled the Google Toolbar Notifier under Internet Explorer > Tools > Manage Add-ons (this may be a leftover from when I deleted Google Toolbar months ago -- I use Yahoo! toolbar). Next, I carried out the Comcast Moderator's step-by-step test above. My results:

1. Checked my DNS servers. My Default Gateway and DHCP Server were 192.168.0.1. So per instructions, I changed my DNS server addresses to Preferred: 68.87.71.226 and Alternate: 68.87.73.242

RESULT: I am still unable to get to www.entrepreneur.com and I get bounced to the Google search results page:  http://www.google.com/search?q=www.entrepreneur.com 

2. I CAN get to www.deca.tv

3. I CANNOT get to http://207.171.3.20  -- get the "This page cannot be displayed" error

4. I CAN get to http://207.171.3.130

5. When I type nslookup www.entrepreneur.com into a CMD prompt, I get this:

Server: cns.chelmsfdrdc2.ma.boston.comcast.net

Address: 68.87.71.226

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: entrepreneur.com

Address: 207.171.3.20

Any clues what's happening? THANKS SO MUCH, I hope we're closer to an answer. I need to use Entrepreneur.com for some work research this week and would like to avoid having to leave the house and find another computer. :-) Thanks, Heidi

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DNS Error? Can't Access One Particular Website, Problem Only Occurs at Home

If I knew were it was I would have told you, instead of saying "I'm not sure where that option is". I assume it's somewhere in Internet Options. I have a Mac, not Windows, so I can't look for it myself.
Contributor

Barmar, where do I find this Google search option in IE to turn off?

Also will go through the Comcast mod's step-by-step instructions above this weekend when I'm well caffeinated and well rested. :-) THANKS everyone, more soon! --Heidi

Silver Problem Solver

One thing that might make troubleshooting this easier is if you would turn off the feature of IE that automatically does a Google search when the connection fails, so we'll see the original error message. I'm not sure where that is in the Internet Options, though.

Official Employee

Re: P.S. Re: DNS Error? Can't Access One Particular Website, Problem Only Occurs at Home

Ok…  Let’s try a few more things:

1) Could you type ipconfig /all into a CMD prompt and observe the “DNS Servers” IPaddress(es).  If you see a 192.168.x.1 (where x is any number between 0-255) then execute the following steps:

a.      Go to “start” -> “Control Panel” -> “Network Connections”

b.     Right-click on your Local Area Connection and select “Properties”

c.      Under “This connection uses the following items:” select “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” -> click on the “Properties”

d.     Select “Use the following DNS server addresses:”

i.     For the “Preferred DNS server:” enter “68.87.71.226”

ii.     For the “Alternate DNS server:” enter “68.87.73.242” and click “OK”

e.     Try to get to www.entrepreneur.com

We are trying to rule out the router’s DNS proxy by having your PC use Comcast’s DNS server directly.

2)     If the above doesn’t work, can you check to see if you can get to www.deca.tv? This server happens to be on the same rack as the server hosting www.entrepreneur.com.  So if you can get to this site, we can rule out the network between you and the hosting facility.

3)     If you can get to this site, could you please try to get to http://207.171.3.20? You will not be able to get all of the content via IP address but you should still be able to see the banner and some of the navigation links. If you are able to get to the site via IP address, we can further rule out the network as being the culprit.

4)     If you are unable to get to www.deca.tv, could you execute a tracert to www.deca.tv and copy/paste that info to this posting?  Also try to get to this site via http://207.171.3.130.

5)     Finally, could you type nslookup www.entrepreneur.com into a CMD prompt and post the results?

Just as an FYI, the blog.entrepreneur.com does not live on the same server as www.entrepreneur.com and as such you are able to get to the blog site without issue. 

Thank you!

Message Edited by chc1234 on 02-26-2009 09:51 PM
Contributor

Re: P.S. Re: DNS Error? Can't Access One Particular Website, Problem Only Occurs at Home

Hi, sorry, I can't get to that page either. Same thing happens -- my browser (Explorer) just hangs for a few seconds and then I get the dreaded "Cannot find Server/Page Cannot Be Displayed" message. The same thing happens if I do a search on Entrepreneur.com and try to click a link for a search results page.

If I try to type www.entrepreneur.com directly into the Address field in Explorer, I sometimes bounced to this page: http://www.google.com/search?q=www.entrepreneur.com  So I wonder if there's some Google function on Entrepreneur.com that is mixxing up my computer.

I CAN get to the website's blog: http://blog.entrepreneur.com/  But if I try to click to the main website from there (e.g., from the Small Business Home link in the footer of the blog page), again, the "Cannot Find Server" page.

THANKS SO MUCH for trying to remedy this, I need Entrepreneur.com for my work research. Thanks!

Official Employee

Ok... so far so good.

Entrepreneur.com has ads that it display before taking the visitor to their actual site, to rule out the possibility of this functionality prohibiting you from getting to the site, can you see if you can get to one of their test page:

www.entrepreneur.com/business-opportunities/test.php

If you are able to get to this site, you should see the word "test" in the upper left hand corner of the page.  Please report back if you are/are not able to get to this test page.

Thanks! 

Message Edited by chc1234 on 02-26-2009 05:36 PM
Message Edited by chc1234 on 02-26-2009 05:36 PM
Contributor

Hi Comcast Moderator, THANK YOU for jumping in here and for working with Entrepreneur.com on this issue.

I can access the Phyber Communications site just fine (instantly!). Please let me know if there's anything else I can check for you. Thank you! --Heidi

Official Employee

We have investigated our network and there was no evidence of a network/DNS related issue which would prohibit your access to this site.  

As a result we are currently working with Entrepreneur.com to determine where the issue may be. 

To help us resolve this problem, could the folks that are currently having issues getting to www.entrepreneur.com please see if you can get to www.phyber.com?  Phyber Communications is the hosting company for Entrepreneur.com and if you are able to get to Phyber.com’s site we will be one step closer to diagnosing/resolving the problem.

Thank you!

Message Edited by chc1234 on 02-26-2009 11:56 AM
Contributor

To Joel: I haven't tried the IP addies you suggested...a little nervous about doing that myself, esp. as Comcast Tech Support had me put in some different IP nos. and that didn't work. BUT I might get brave and try as you suggested. Nothing else is working.

Also to Barmar: Yes, I'm beginning to feel we personally are being blocked but can't imagine why. Also curious it's happening to another Comcast customer, above. Thank you for your opinions!

Silver Problem Solver

You're getting the right IP for the site, so this doesn't seem like a DNS issue.  And ping works, so it's not a routing problem.  I'm starting to suspect that they're blocking you for some reason.
Bronze Problem Solver

Were you able to find the DNS server settings in the router configuration panel, and did you try changing them to those provided by OpenDNS as noted above (make a note of the 3 assigned via DHCP by Comcast, you can re-enter these if the two from OpenDNS don't fix it for you)?
Contributor

P.S. Re: DNS Error? Can't Access One Particular Website, Problem Only Occurs at Home

I have a combination cable modem/wireless router which I lease from Comcast, the brand is Netgear. My PC plugs directly into the cable modem/wireless router and my husband accesses the Internet from his laptop in a different room. We have not tried taking the laptop elsewhere to see if we can get to Entrepreneur.com from outside this house. Like a horror movie, I believe the problem "is coming from inside the house!" :-)

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. Not sure I can call Comcast back as the Home Networking Tech Support guy spent an hour on the phone with me to no avail. Tried changing every possible Control Panel / Internet /Networking setting. Still doesn't work. sigh.

Contributor

Hi Joel. Yes, have unplugged router/modem several times -- both the cable and power cords -- does not help. My last resort is uninstalling my McAfee, but I hate to do that as I have a 3-license subscription and I don't want to mess up the other computers on the subscription if something goes wrong. But I might end up trying that as my husband's laptop also cannot get to this website. I am just stumped. If I could get to the entrepreneur.com website to find some Help info, I'd contact them. It's curious this is happening to another Comcast customer. I just don't know why we can't get there AND we get redirected to a Google page. I'm wondering if something on the Entrepreneur.com homepage shunts us to Google search results?
Bronze Problem Solver

Did you try rebooting your router (unplug it, wait a few seconds, plug it back in)?
Contributor

I can ping them. I get a return from 207.171.3.20  Packets sent = 4 received = 4 Lost = 0

I just can't get to the website. The strange this is when I try to get to the website, sometimes I get a "page not found" error but sometimes (after hanging for several seconds) I get bounced to a Google search results page for Entrepreneur.com  I do not have Google tool bar and Google's not my homepage. The Comcast tech on the phone w/me last night said he could get to the site and there was some Google advertising or something at the top, so wondering if the problem is at the magazine site? If I had contact info there I'd contact them.

Any thoughts? THANKS!

Contributor

Hi, WOW, that's good to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem with this website!

I spent an hour on the phone last night with Comcast Home Networking tech support, and the tech tried everything he could think of. After an hour of going through my Control Panel and checking every possible Internet and Networking setting...we STILL couldn't get to Entrepreneur.com  He suggested I uninstall McAfee and then try again...but I'm starting to feel like there may be something on the magazine website that is blocking us. If I could get to their site and find a tech support phone no. I would call! I guess that's my next step (as I already tried turning McAfee off through their chat support and that didn't work either. Would prefer not to uninstall my antivirus at this point).

Strangely enough, I have a friend on Comcast who can get to the site, no problem. And my mother has McAfee, and she can get to it. At this point I'm stumped and frustrated. If you get any traction from anywhere I'd love to hear about it. I need to view this site for my work. THANKS!

Silver Problem Solver

I have no problem accessing the site from my Comcast connection.

Can you ping www.entrepreneur.com? What IP does nslookup www.entrepreneur.com return? 

Regular Visitor

Hello - I am having the same trouble. I went to my daughter's house, who is also on Comcast, and still was unable to access the same website. However, from her work computer, which is not on Comcast, she can access the web site just fine. I have called Comcast's help line and they gave me the instructions for turning off my modem, deleting history,etc. However, since the problem occurs at two different locations, with the only thing in common being that they are using Comcast, this leads me to believe it is Comcast.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Contributor

Thanks Joel, I'll ask Comcast Tech Support to help with this. At least I'm not alone (or crazy :-) in experiencing this problem. Smiley Happy
Bronze Problem Solver

Unfortunately, in my 5+ years in these forums, this is an all-too-common occurance with these routers. The solution is to log in to the router's configuration page and to either manually enter the IP addresses of Comcast's DNS servers (all 3 of them), or you can enter the IP addresses of alternate DNS servers like the highly recommended servers provided for free by OpenDNS (those addresses being 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220).

For information on Comcast's Home Networking Router, see this link, or call Tech Support and have them walk you through it since you are paying for support as part of your Home Networking package.

Contributor

DNS Error? Can't Access One Particular Website, Problem Only Occurs at Home

Hope someone can shed some light on this mysterious problem. Our home PC (Windows XP) and laptop, which are on a Comcast wireless router, cannot access one particular website which I need to access for my work. It is www.entrepreneur.com and when I try to go there using IE 6.0, my browser times out and displays a "Cannot Find server" / "Page cannot be displayed" error AND/OR jumps to a Google search results page, which displays Entrepreneur.com and its internal links at the top (which also don't work for me if I click on them). Google is not my homepage so not sure why that redirect is happening. I also just noticed that when I type the URL into Explorer, I sometimes get this message in the bottom left of the browser:

res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm... 

I talked to Comcast tech support last night and the tech had me clear cookies and temp internet pages, and put www.entrepreneur.com into my Trusted sites list. Still can't get to entrepreneur.com  Also chatted with McAfee and turned off all McAfee products and still could not access this website. (I hadn't noticed the DNS error when I talked to Comcast last night so maybe that's a helpful clue...)

Also tried using Netscape and cannot get there. My husband has the same problem from his laptop (which uses Vista and I guess a newer version of Explorer). Mystery is other friends outside this house -- using both Comcast and/or McAfee, can get to the website. We used to be able to access it and I need access for my work research. Is this a router problem? NOT A TECHIE so at wit's end here. Please help! Thank you.