Community Forum

Create a filter to move email with a blank "To" to a specified folder

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Create a filter to move email with a blank "To" to a specified folder

I want emails I receive that have a blank "To" field, i.e., below the sender's name or address it says "To:        ",  to be moved to a specified folder.  What is the way(s) I can create a filter that reliably identifies such messages?  Thanks.

Contributor

Re: Create a filter to move email with a blank "To" to a specified folder

I already figured out a filter approach that works for identifying emails with blank To fields..  Namely, create a filter with the condition To "contains-not" @.  I verified by sending myself emails where my Comcast address was put in the cc field ONLY, while To was left blank.  This works because if there's no @ in the field, there's no email address there.

I also tested to ensure that when there's solely a name displayed in the To field rather than an address, the To filter looks at the underlying email address, and thus *doesn't* consider it as meeting my rule for Blank.  (For that matter I don't know whether the To filter looks at the dispay name at all, although I would guess it does...the answer doesn't really matter for what I was trying to accomplish here.)