Community Forum

Convert Comcast Mail from POP to IMAP

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Convert Comcast Mail from POP to IMAP

I want to change my Xfinity/Comcast mail account from POP3 to IMAP in order to have it flow to my new Microsoft Acct. using Windows 8.  How do I change my Comcast Mail Account to IMAP?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Convert Comcast Mail from POP to IMAP

The residential program does not offer IMAP, only POP.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Poster

There is a "Work Around" to this dilemma that I used in order to use the email feature of the new Windows 8 today, since you can not have a home or personal IMAP account with comcast.  If you have a Google gmail account (if not set one up on Google), sync your gmail account to your comcast email account via the Google website using the PLAXO software option it will prompt you to use.  Once you have successfully linked your comcast email account to your Google account (it may take a few minutes to do), go back to the windows 8 email icon and set up your windows email using by using your gmail account via gmail icon link at bottom left.  All you need is your gmail address and password and your all set.  This will open up your gmail account which has your comcast.net email synced already.

This takes a few steps as opposed to one quick account set-up but it works.  It will probably work for hotmail and others too.. I just know that it worked using my gmail account.

Good Luck

New Poster

Worked great, thank you very much.  One more step toward independence from Comcast!

New Poster

When you set up the new Outlook.com (part of Windows essentials) with a comcast email, is that a POP or IMAP account? Is it available to all computers and mobile devices? Outlook.com is another iteration of Outlook express. Theoretically, I just want all my emails to be available from different devices and don't care whether it's labeled POP or IMAP. I would rather not go through Google but I don't want my messages to disappear from the server after downloading to one computer.Alternatively, is there an option that I can check for not deleting from the server after download.

Gold Problem Solver

It uses Pop.

In the settings in Outlook, you can set it up to leave copies of messages on the Comcast server.  Look for Delivery Options.

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Poster

This thread got us to the point where outlook wasn't deleting messages from the server.  Yipeee...  But I don't believe POP allows multiple devices to be synchronized, ie. when I read an e-mail from one device or delete it, the other devices don't mark them as read/delete the e-mail.  So you have to pick through all e-mails on all devices.  Sort of painful... especially since IMAP does synchronization seamlessly.

Bronze Problem Solver

bdematteo wrote:

This thread got us to the point where outlook wasn't deleting messages from the server.  Yipeee...  But I don't believe POP allows multiple devices to be synchronized, ie. when I read an e-mail from one device or delete it, the other devices don't mark them as read/delete the e-mail.  So you have to pick through all e-mails on all devices.  Sort of painful... especially since IMAP does synchronization seamlessly.

You are 100% correct.

Regular Visitor

Comcast is now making IMAP available via Xfinity Connect Beta program. The URL for the registration site is https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/ Once registered your account will be moved to the Beta platform and will be accessible via IMAP within 72 hours.

New Poster

POP3 - Does not sync at all, best it will do is leave copies everywhere

IMAP - Syncs, but poorly. Very battery intensive on a mobile device, only syncs email

GMail - Syncs very well, but only email and contacts

Outlook.com - Syncs very well, includes email, contacts, calendar, etc.

In other words, just create either a GMail account, or for more features, an Outlook.com account, and forward all your Comcast email to it. Then start telling everyone your new email addresses.

Comcast only provides email as a way to make you think twice, and then think twice again, before switching to another internet provider because changing email addresses is a real hassle. Doing it now, and getting much better email service in the bargain, when you can take your time is a good idea. Don't end up moving somewhere that doesn't offer Comcast and end up trying to get things switched in a couple of days, it's not really possible.

Contributor

Are you guys saying that if I do the Comcast Beta testing, it will automatically start syncing the emails I delete on one device on all my devices?  That was a terrible sentence.  In other words, will I have to "do" anything first, or, when I'm connected to the Beta version, if I delete an email from my iPad, will it automatically delete that email from my other Apple devices?

Silver Problem Solver

cmember wrote:

Are you guys saying that if I do the Comcast Beta testing, it will automatically start syncing the emails I delete on one device on all my devices?  That was a terrible sentence.  In other words, will I have to "do" anything first, or, when I'm connected to the Beta version, if I delete an email from my iPad, will it automatically delete that email from my other Apple devices?

The Beta is for Comcast IMAP support. It is my understanding that your email account would be switched to being IMAP rather than POP. In that case, when you delete on one device, it would be delete on the other devices. The server is IMAP, so you'd need to switch for all email clients that access your Comcast account.

I don't know how this affects email messages you already have on your desktop or other devices.

Contributor

Well, the problem now that I've been "migrated" to Beta is that it looks like it's for Windows users only.  And I can't get an answer to whether that's true or not.  But now 'it' wants me to choose 'Windows 8' on the first screen and then to do 'this and that'.  I'm scared to choose Windows 8 since I use Apple computers and devices.  Nobody seems to know anything about this.

Silver Problem Solver

I can't help you further because I am not switching to IMAP. All my accounts (Comcast and non-Comcast but all Apple devices) have POP connections. 

I looked at the Apple support discussions and didn't find anything recent. If you search online, be careful about dates. I'd be sure to have backups of my mail.

I'd like to think that this will just work and just pretend that you have Windows as Mac users have done for years. But I'd think in this day and age you wouldn't have to pretend.

This page may help: http://www.macworld.com/article/1165600/how_to_convert_a_pop_email_account_to_imap.html

Edit: I see that Jason Livingood answered you in another thread. He would know. Go for it.

Contributor

I didn't quite understand your saying that Mac users have always pretended they have Windows....

I used no less than 10 different brand new "Windows PC's" before I got a real computer, my iMac Desktop Apple computer.  It was then that I just sat down and cried, I couldn't believe that there really was a computer that 'just worked', never ever giving me an Error message, never ever bogging down, and never ever needing all the costly anti-virus programs that seemed to do nothing but need constant updates.  Soon I got a MacBook, then an iPod, then an iPad.  I will never go back to the headaches I had with all those PC's.

I haven't accepted the switch-over to Beta yet, and it does give me great concern that if there's a problem I may lose the benefit of getting my emails for days at a time?  I just so badly wanted to be able to get rid of all my emails the easy way, with IMAP which is supposed to sync deleted emails to all devices.   So I may just back out of this, I got an email that assured me that I can.  I'll call Comcast and see it they even know there's a Beta program out there....

Yes, I did notice an old (2009) discussion about a Beta trial....so thanks for that warning.  And thank you for that link.

Silver Problem Solver

I'm a very longtime Mac user. Until fairly recently, the assumption was that a "personal computer" was a Windows machine. So Mac users often had to hope that things would work on a Mac even though the "provider" of whatever service expected only Windows computers. Linux users are still stuck in that boat.

I don't know precisely what you are seeing that says it is only for Windows; I'm not signing up for the IMAP beta.

But Jason Livingood answered one of your other questions. He said the IMAP is cross-platform and will work with Macs. Jason is high and technical in Comcast. I trust he knows what he's talking about. He might be able to review what the directions look like and get them changed to not suggesting that the IMAP beta is Windows specific.

But it is Christmas, and I wouldn't expect things to change right now.

I don't know if you want to jump into IMAP now or wait until after the holidays.

IMAP really will let you delete once.

New Poster

If you use a free Microsoft Account instead (msn.com, or Hotmail.com, or live.com or outlook.com) of any other, you don't even need Plaxo or anything else, PLUS you get SkyDrive to work with Windows 8, which includes a limited functionality version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote to use online.  How about that . . .

Contributor

I think I'm the OP here, oh maybe not.... I did sign up for the change but didn't go any further and now I'm no longer interested. I use a Mac, never Windows. All this is too complicated and I don't need the confusion. But thanks to everyone here who responded!
Frequent Visitor

Do I need to? When I try to setup gmail as an alternative extra email address I see IMAP pop up - and as I understand it Comcast only uses pop3? So need proper setup instructions please!!!
Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

kdk02632 wrote:
Do I need to? When I try to setup gmail as an alternative extra email address I see IMAP pop up - and as I understand it Comcast only uses pop3? So need proper setup instructions please!!!
Thanks

If anyone is interested in the Xfinity Connect Beta IMAP access to their comcast.net account.  The URL for the registration site is https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net

Once registered your account will be moved to our Beta platform and will be accessible via IMAP within 72 hours. 

I am confused what settings you want?

CC

New Poster

Yes, it will delete mail or mark it read across all your devices. Google "setting up an IMAP email account on Comcast" and go to the article on TUAW by Steven Sande. He takes you right through the process. The only question I have is whether Comcast will move my existing email over to IMAP from my current POP3 server so I won't lose anything....

Expert

tottsbrut wrote:

Yes, it will delete mail or mark it read across all your devices. Google "setting up an IMAP email account on Comcast" and go to the article on TUAW by Steven Sande. He takes you right through the process. The only question I have is whether Comcast will move my existing email over to IMAP from my current POP3 server so I won't lose anything....

No, you will not lose any emails just by signing up for the IMAP beta in Comcast.  Do you need the instructions on how to proceed?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I have my account changed from pop to IMAP.

What are my next steps ?  Do I sent up a new email address as IMAP and forward from the old pop address?

Expert

You should see all your existing emails in the IMAP account if you switched the POP3 account over.  There is no need to change the email address, nor is there any need to forward anything.  It's the same account, just using a different protocol.

I a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

Yes latoque, can you provide the instruction on how to sign up for the IMAP beta
Expert

Zurm wrote:
Yes latoque, can you provide the instruction on how to sign up for the IMAP beta

You can get the sign-up for the IMAP beta here-------------

https://xcsignup.comcast.net/onboardingapps/imap

After you register the account, you are supposed to get a confirmation about 24 hours later, and the whole process takes up to 72 hours to complete. Once it's up and running, you will then need to change the settings in whatever email client you are using.

New Poster

Thanks for answering this one. I wondered the same. But does that mean you won't have to remove the account from the client and re-add, simply change a server setting? (I haven't seen the confirmation email yet which may have these instructions)

Official Employee

Comcast now supports IMAP for all customers.  No need to sign up. Just change your settings per our FAQ: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/