Community Forum

Constant T3 and T4 Timeouts even after tech visit!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Constant T3 and T4 Timeouts even after tech visit!

I'm continually having to reset my modem or it resets itself. Moved into my new apartment and haven't had reliable internet since day one. Frequently called into customer service and they reboot my modem and say it's fine. It's definitely not fine. Getting anywhere from 15-30 T3 or T4 time out errors in an hour! It's the line outside my house at the node, I guarantee it. Had a tech visit yesterday and replaced a splitter and new coax. Modem info listed below.

Have a brand new Netgear Cm400 modem.

Downstream looks good, upstream strength looks weak which could be causing the frequent time outs and restarts.

I just want the service that I'm paying for to work properly, that's all.
New Poster

Re: Constant T3 and T4 Timeouts even after tech visit!

Wouldn't let me post all the pictures of stats so I'll upload individually.
New Doc 2018-04-06_1.jpg
New Poster

Last 2 photos

The upstream looks to be the problem. Too weak?
New Doc 2018-04-06_2.jpg
New Doc 2018-04-06_3.jpg
Expert

The upstream is power is fine but there are three additional signal stats that can cause problems which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Hi @Rboagcoding,

That is a bunch errors for sure Smiley Sad Since you've already had a tech out...

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

FYI: They owe you a $20 credit for every tech visit after the first for the same problem.You can also get a credit for your service from the time you first reported the issue until it is resolved.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Rboagcoding, thanks for reaching out. Let's check your signal levels. Please send me a private message with your full name, address, and account related phone number so I can help.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.