Community Forum

Connected devices show up as mac addresses

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
New Poster

Connected devices show up as mac addresses

I just got got a DPC3941T wireless gateway and I am trying to manage the connected devices.   Some devices show up with a hostname that is the devices mac address.  I would like to modify the hostname so it is more meaningful to me than a mac address, is this possible?

Problem Solver

Re: Connected devices show up as mac addresses

@lherron7 wrote:

I just got got a DPC3941T wireless gateway and I am trying to manage the connected devices.   Some devices show up with a hostname that is the devices mac address.  I would like to modify the hostname so it is more meaningful to me than a mac address, is this possible?

I have your gateway and you can actually name those device mac addresses so it's more easily idenfiable to you.

On the home administration screen click on "View Connected Devices"  under the list of connected devices.

Each listed device now has an "Edit" box.  Click this box.  You'll see "Comments" at the bottom.  In the box enter the name of the device.  Then click "save"

Now when you click "View Connected Devices" and click on each underlined mac address, you'll see your comment as to the name of the device.

I have to admit this is all pretty convoluted and what's frustrating is with earlier firmware you could name each device once and it WOULD replace the 'mac address' in the listing so you wouldn't have to click on anything to remind you what it was.  I guess this was too easy and logical, so in Comcast's infinite wisdom they changed it to this method.  I guess it's better than nothing.

Expert

Re: Connected devices show up as mac addresses

Thank you for this info AlanD ! Didn't know that any CC firmware has this amount of robustness.... 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!