Community Forum

Confusing Wifi issues

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Confusing Wifi issues

We had a router with a open wifi signal that had gotten slow, and got a new router which gave us a new wifi signal and we successfuly secured it. Though the old open signal still shows, and is accessable in the wifi connection window. Is it possible to remove the old signal so that it can not be accessed by future users? And if it is not removable, would having multiple signals like this slow down the secured wifi that we are currently using?

Expert

Re: Confusing Wifi issues

First, are you certain that the open broadcast network name (SSID) is actually coming from your router and not from a neighbor's router or a public WiFi hotspot ? As a test to determine if it is actually broadcasting from your device, unplug it and see if that broadcast name disappears. Then plug it back in and see if it reappears. If it does, then you'll know that it's yours.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

We had tried that, but the primary reason we know its ours is because it still has the specific name we have it when we created it.

Expert

If you've removed the old router, any network associated with it should be gone. You're not talking about the "xfinitywifi" network, are you?

I am not an employee.