Community Forum

Confused about what my home network is!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Confused about what my home network is!

I am so confused on what my home network is/should be.  I'll try to explain as best as i can.  I am paying for blast speed but only getting 20 dl speed.  Crazy!  I currently have my own router/modem (2 separate devices set up in middle of first floor). This is where we set up our wireless network with our network name and password and we use for all all wireless devices, such as all in one PC, tvs, 3 smart phones, 3 ipads, amazon alexa, printer...maybe a couple more too.  We also have in the basement what Comcast hooked up for us which is for our digital voice (we rent this). It is a device type XB3 Model DPC3941T Docsis 3.0.  From what i may have been told before was that I can use this for everything (my digital voice and router/modem combo) and i can ge rid of my separate router and modem that i own.  Is this true? Should i do this? I have no clue on how i would hook this up though if i bring it upstairs to where i need to plug into a wall, cable box, and phone jack? Should i get an extender instead? My current digital voice modem in basement is plugged in for power adn also has a cable going into it as well as a phone line.  I dont know where this phone line goes if not plugged into the box down there? The attached pic is voice modem in basement. My modem and router on the first floor is a netgear and motorola Surf board.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

VOICEMODEM.jpg
Contributor

Re: Confused about what my home network is!

It sounds like you could use just the Comcast equipment. The issue sounds like your equipment is in different locations. 

First, I would try the following:

Power off your existing modem and router

Connect a computer directly to the DPC3941T with a cable.

Check the speeds on that computer several times.

Sign on to the DPC3941T and setup WIFI on the DPC3941T using different names than you currently use

Use a WIFI device such as an IPad, setup the new WIFI id and password and check the WIFI speeds.  

If the speeds are better then you can figure out how to move the DPC3941T or run cable(s) for the other devices or switch to using WIFI for them. 

If you have a phone line at the same location as your equipment, you may be able to move the DPC3941T to that location.

If it does not work, it is easy to put things back. 

Hope this helps. 

Frequent Visitor

Bert-X

Thanks so much for the reply and suggestions! If i do see that a PC runs fast when connected directly into the voice modem in the basement and i want to move that modem to upstairs, what do i do with the phone line that is currently plugged into the voice modem in the basement??? Do i need to get that upstairs somehow by attaching another phone line to it and running it upstairs so i can plug in? 

Frequent Visitor

If the basement Gateway (voice modem) is trully registering your internet speed, then Comcast accidentally provisioned both your internet and phone service onto that device. In that scenario, I would just call in and provide both MAC addresses (on the bottom of your devices) and tell them to specifically provision internet onto your modem, and then, phone service on the other one.

Frequent Visitor

DNS..thx for the reply. So I had the Comcast tech out for almost 3 hrs today. He moved the basement gateway upstairs and removed my modem n router...long story short..internet speed is better but now landline phones only work when he plug main phone into back of gateway. He has not idea why but may have something to do with my home alarm which also no longer works...now I have my alarm company coming tomorrow to hopefully fix both the alarm and figure out why phones don’t work right...ugh...nothing is easy!