Community Forum

Commscope CSAPDU9VP 9 port Cable Amplifier and topography solutions for MoCA

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Commscope CSAPDU9VP 9 port Cable Amplifier and topography solutions for MoCA

Hello,

I am a network technician - I am not very familiar with coaxial cable, but I'm starting to learn.  I realize how important it is to know both now that the majority of households receive their internet through cable gateways.

I have a client with two xfinity X1s, an HD-UDTA STB and an XB6 gateway/router. He has a garage with a guest apartment above it his young adult son uses when he visits, where the HD-UDTA and one X1 are located.  There is a cabin on the property which is where the other X1 is located, along with the XB6 gateway.

The outside service box is located at the garage, which is closest to the street.  It contains a MoCA POE filter and a dual-port 5-1000MHz splitter, with one feed going into the garage/apartment and the other going to the cabin.  The cabin is approximately 100 ft from the garage/POE.

Underneath the house is the CSAPDU9VP amplifier.  The feed from the service box is going into the input on the right side of the unit, and all coaxial feeds to the cabin are coming from RF ports 2-4 on the left. 

Big picture:  We want to have MoCA supplied from one building to the next.  

Current problem:  The amplifier has a POE filter built into the input port. 

So, since the connection to the splitter in the service box (and ultimately the garage/apartment) is coming into the input of the CSAPDU9VP, the MoCA from the XB6 is not leaving the cabin to be connected with the garage/apartment.

I was trying to find a solution today at his property.  We were using a Motorola MM1000. Details are here:  https://motorolanetwork.com/mm1000.html

I enabled MoCA on the XB6, and  the MM1000 adapter received MoCA/internet on any coaxial cable connectors within the house.  So that is all confirmed working (works really well, actually).

We'd like to have that happen in the garage/apartment, too.  So here's my ideas: 

Idea 1: Can the feed coming from the service box just be plugged into the group of 8 RF connectors on the left of the CSAPDU9VP?  Is there some difference between the input and the other 8 RF connectors besides the POE filter?

Just changing the position of the cable coming from the service box, which connects to the garage/apartment, would obviously be the easiest solution, as long as there's not some other reason it's plugged into the input that I don't know about. 

I'm going off of this official installation video I found on youtube.  I don't know anything else about the unit except what I learned here:  https://youtu.be/ABIztz4jIG0

Idea 2:  Should we move the XB6 to the garage/apartment and supply the MoCA to the cabin from there? 

This would be a little harder, since there was an ethernet cable installed in the cabin that connects the  XB6 to a smart TV in the living room, but I suppose we could get a small switch to connect the MM1000 MoCA adapter to the TV. 

I don't like this option as much, though, because if something goes wrong with the MoCA connection, there's a greater likelihood of it upsetting people since there are people living there full-time, as opposed to the garage/apartment, which is used intermittently.

AND, I'm thinking, if the XB6 were in the garage/apartment, and MoCA was being fed to the CSAPDU9VP amplifier, wouldn't the cable still have to go into one of the RF connectors on the left to avoid the POE filter built into the amp's input?

Is there some other equipment, or type of amplifier / signal booster that might work better for this situation? 

Thanks!