Community Forum

Comcast not accepting alternative email address

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast not accepting alternative email address

Another possible solution is to check the smpt port number, I found that 587 works

Frequent Visitor

My problem was separate credentials which is new.

New Poster

Re: Comcast not accepting alternative email address (PROBLEM RESOLVED)

UPDATE: Success!!!! I tweeted @ComcastCares and after some digging rep RTT found a very old comcast username of mine that had my desired alternate email address associated with it. Once RTT deleted the old comcast username/account s/he was able to assign my alternate email to my current account. I can't believe it was resolved. Hooray for reps with admin privs; I knew they had to exist somewhere. Smiley Happy Thanks RTT! 

New Poster

Apparently this problem continues years later. Has anyone found a solution? 

As a former customer who is returning, I created a new comcast account (I don't know what my old one was). After logging into my new comcast account I selected "My Account" and a dialog box appeared which requires me to enter an Alternate Email Address. I enter my other email account and it says it's "already registered" and I must choose another. I suspect this is because I used my other email account in the past as my Alternate Email Address. I'm unable to cancel this dialog box except to select the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the box. Upon doing so I'm kicked out of my comcast account. 

I've spent time on both chat and a lengthy phone call where neither rep could solve the problem. The last rep said he was transferring me to "a higher department." I asked which one and he said "Security Assurance". I was instead connected to their "copyright" department and the recording gave me 2 options, neither of which pertained to me. I did not select anything and was disconnected.

So I am still nowhere. Ugh, and my installation hasn't even taken place yet. I'm starting to think I should just cancel it and go elsewhere (again) for internet service. 

New Poster

I am still having this problem... Is there any solution? There is currently no way for me to get emails to an alternate email address (because I can't add one). This resulted in me missing several payments because I never got notice that my credit card had expired.

The form accepts my alternate email address, but it is never added to my account.

New Poster

bump

New Poster

I'm having the same problem as the OP.  I'm trying to set my "Contact" email to something else so that bills and such go to my @gmail.com account.

The comcast folks on this thread seem to be confusing the issue.  Just so there is absolutely no confusion, here's the steps.

Users & Preferences

Basic Settings

Contact Emails

Add/edit your "preferred contact" email

Get "Validate your contact email address" email

Click link in email.

Get this error:

"We seem to be experiencing technical difficulties. Please click on the link in the email and try again"

New Poster

I don't think my terms are confusing considering comcast is the one calling alternative e-mail. I know I can't change my username. I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about my regular e-mail I have all the promos and bill statements sent to. I have contacted tech support and I was told it would be fix by April 19 which is total BS because here it is July and I'm still unable to change my alternate e-mail/prefer contact. 

New Poster

i have been having this same issue for a few months. i have called comcast as well as talking to the online chat help people and no one has any clue. after spending 20 minutes appeasing them by trying a different browser, clearing my cookies and trying a different computer, they always tell me "well, it appears the website is having issues, you can just try again later." well, it's been months and the same issue persists. how ridiculous that a company as large as comcast cannot figure out 1) that this is an issue and 2) who needs to be contacted to fix this issue. 

glad to see all the money i pay to this company being put to good use. 

Gold Problem Solver

horseflesh wrote:

I am having the same problem as the OP. 

I should be the Primary login, because I am the ONLY person who has EVER used this account.

I log in, click on My Account, then Users and Preferences. 

Under Contact Emails, I click "Add an alternate email address for password retrieval"

I enter my email address twice. This generates an email to me with a confirmation link. The confirmation link generates an error. 

If I can ever add this other email address I would like to set it to Preferred.

What is the error you get when you click the link?

Here is how to make sure you only have a Primary email address associated with your account.

Go to the My Account sign in page (clickable link)

Underneath SIGN IN you will see Don't know your email or username? Click the link.

Tick the circle next to your address, click Next.

All user accounts will be listed. The primary account will have that designation next to it.

IF you do have a Secondary it will show up there.

I think you should call 1-800 comcast and see if they can help you further.  If they can't please do post back and we will see if a Comcast Moderator can help you during the regular business week.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Poster

I am having the same problem as the OP. 

I should be the Primary login, because I am the ONLY person who has EVER used this account.

I log in, click on My Account, then Users and Preferences. 

Under Contact Emails, I click "Add an alternate email address for password retrieval"

I enter my email address twice. This generates an email to me with a confirmation link. The confirmation link generates an error. 

If I can ever add this other email address I would like to set it to Preferred.

Gold Problem Solver

There is some confusion here about what is trying to be changed.

4minuteblaq: are your referring to PREFERRED address which Comcast will use to send you alerts and various other things? Do you want to change your email USER name?

You talk about the confirmation email. I suspect the confusion is a result of using the term alternative email.

Changing a USER name will not result in a confirmation mail.

A confirmation email WILL be sent when changing the PREFERRED email address.

I have my msn.com address as my PREFERRED address. I have alerts set up to notify me when my bill is paid. The notification is sent to msn.com email.

I wish I could tell both of you how to resolve the issue of not being able to confirm your change. Unfortunately I am clueless on this issue.

change address.PNG

New Poster

I am having the same issue. I am logging in with my only User ID (____@comcast.net) without the Comcast portion. If I try to set the ____@comcast.net as "preferred" it says an error occured. If I try to change my preferred secondary e-mail, I get the same message as the OP after a confirmation link is sent. This is nonsense!

Gold Problem Solver

What you want to do is delete the Secondar User and then create a NEW Secondary username?

Please post step by step what you are doing to achieve this.

Also, you MUST be signed in with the PRIMARY username/ password.

Are you sure you have signed in with the true Primary?

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Poster

Okay I still see no one hasn't answer me.

Seriously this is the fourth time I'm trying to change my secondary e-mail. Comcast finally sends me confirmation link but EVERY TIME i click on it I get a message like this:

We're sorry...

We seem to be experiencing technical difficulties. Please click on the link in the email and try again.

Is there any solution?

New Poster

Yes I'm trying to change my secondary e-mail. Comcast now sends me a validation link but everytime I click on it I get an error. It's so frustrating. I don't want my statements and other items sent to e-mail I'm trying to get rid of.

The error I'm getting is saying that comcast is experiencing some difficulties. This has happen twice already. Is there something on comcast's end?

Gold Problem Solver

4minuteblaq wrote:

Okay so I give up. The past 20 mins I have been trying to change my alternative address because my old one is getting spam and I keep getting a message that it is not updated and to try again. 

Does anyone have any helpful solutions? Has anyone every experience this issue before?

-S

Do you mean you are trying to change a SECONDARY email address?

Are you signed in with the Primary Username and password when you click on My Account, then the Users and Preferences tab?

Please tell us the steps younare taking.

CC

New Poster

Comcast not accepting alternative email address

Okay so I give up. The past 20 mins I have been trying to change my alternative address because my old one is getting spam and I keep getting a message that it is not updated and to try again. 

Does anyone have any helpful solutions? Has anyone every experience this issue before?

-S