Community Forum

Comcast equipment

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast equipment

@The_Janitor wrote:

@jweaver0312 wrote:
The bad thing is most of their gateways are Puma except for the CGM4140COM I believe is the only one that doesn’t use Puma that is somewhat ok but still not great in my views. Personally I do have a 1682 and only a few issues right now that more look for signal related for me currently.

I'm testing an XB6 (CGM4140COM) right now. It has a Broadcom BCM3390 chipset. So far it's pretty darn spiffy 

Same here.  Very solid.  Only one light but I found the explanation for the different colors.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-14080

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

@jweaver0312 wrote:
The bad thing is most of their gateways are Puma except for the CGM4140COM I believe is the only one that doesn’t use Puma that is somewhat ok but still not great in my views. Personally I do have a 1682 and only a few issues right now that more look for signal related for me currently.

I'm testing an XB6 (CGM4140COM) right now. It has a Broadcom BCM3390 chipset. So far it's pretty darn spiffy 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Expert

Frequent Visitor

yeah well they sent me the TG1682 to install... I did... and regretted it.

Expert

@darkangelic wrote:

The TG1682G is a 32x8 channel gateway using an Intel Puma 6 chipset. No wonder you were having problems. If you were a gamer in any capacity, you should've stayed away from any Puma 6 device. 

Just to correct the information. It does use Puma 6 but it is not 32x8. It is a 24x8. The update shows 32 on the GUI but it actually isn’t. 

Expert

The TG1682G is a 32x8 channel gateway using an Intel Puma 6 chipset. No wonder you were having problems. If you were a gamer in any capacity, you should've stayed away from any Puma 6 device. 

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the heads up on buggy chipsets.

I have replaced the comcast gateway with an Arris SB6183 modem and a netgear WNR3700V3 router. Problem has gone away, it was definately in the comcast gateway itself.

Frequent Visitor

@unixwizzard

Has it every occured to you the possibility that it could be the game server? Or one of the game server host's routers are reacting negatively to the udp packet flooding?

Do you know how UDP works?  The best way to put UDP is that it works as 'fire and forget', best effort method of transmission..  Time-sensitive applications, like games, often use UDP because dropping packets is preferable to waiting for packets delayed due to retransmissions. It also has less overhead than TCP so data transfer can be faster.  However UDP is an unreliable service that provides no guarantees for delivery and no protection from duplication.  It has no handshaking dialogues, and thus exposes the user's program to any unreliability of the underlying network; There is no guarantee of delivery, ordering, or duplicate protection.

The User Datagram Protocol

You can replace the modem you have, sitll that will not guarantee that your gaming issues will go away. 

I noticed you mentioned buying a new modem. Since you game, I strongly recommend that you stay away from any modem that uses the Intel Puma 6 or 7 chipsets - both chipsets have issues with latency, especially with the UDP protocol. 

Over on Reddit, I created a list of modems compatible with Xfinity. On that list are some modems denoted with a " + " symbol, all of those modems do not use a buggy chipset and would serve your needs quite well. My personal favorites are the TP-Link TC7650 24x8 modem and the Motorola (Zoom) MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 plus 32x8 3.0 channels - I beta tested the TC7650 and I currently use the MB8600 and it has performed flawlessly, as I write this message it has an uptime of 78 days 04h:42m:46s (a new record I believe).

Hi, Yes I verified the servers first. The servers host 28 to 32 players without issue on a daily basis.
In my case, to a US based server, my ping is 75 to 80ms. It remains a steady 75 to 80 ping while more players join. As long as no more than 18 join I can play for hours.
When the 19th player joins, my ping suddenly shoots up over 2500 and I disconnect. Other players continue joining without issue up to 28 to 32 players.
Before I had this gateway I could play with up to 32 players without issue. It is the same computer system, wiring, servers, etc. The only thing that has changed is I had to switch out my modem for one of these gateways.
A significant number of people in this game have had the same issue I am having. In every case, when they switched out the gateway for a stand alone modem, the problem went away.

The game in question is called Mechwarrior Living Legends. It is a MOD that uses the Crytek game engine which can produce prolific udp packet flooding during intense multiplayer gaming.
I have tested this modem with various tests and it passes with flying colors showing nearly zero "bloat" or overflow from packet floods. yet in this game the connection just shuts off at 19 players.
Since several other players have had an identical problem that they were able to correct by going to a stand alone modem in lieu of the comcast provided gateway I have to agree with them that
since I am seeing what appears to be the gateway simply dumping the connection that the gateway is the culprit.

I would like to thank-you for that modem list you have been testing on Reddit. I have been looking for that kind of list since I know this may be a hardware issue.
I am currently leaning toward the Arris SB6183 as it seems to have a very good ratings and is on sale often. You also gave it a + sign so that is a good thing.

I wonder if these gateways have those buggy chipset's in them? As I said initially, it could be the hardware is just puking with the load this game can generate.
Gold Problem Solver

@Zath wrote: ... I am going and buying my own modem.

Be sure to select a device listed on their "Compatible retail equipment" page at https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/.

Contributor

@Zath wrote:

throttling firmware is not really the correct term.

Some games produce what is called udp packet flooding. It is not an issue as long as the server/client computers can handle the loads and the internet connection is open. But these gateways react to "udp packet flooding" in a manner that indicates the gateway sees this sudden flood that can occur as something malicious and shuts the port being used off. That is pretty aggravating.....

Since completely disabling the gateway firewall has zero affect on the ports being shutoff, it is either being limited by the firmware or potentially even the hardware itself.

Has it every occured to you the possibility that it could be the game server? Or one of the game server host's routers are reacting negatively to the udp packet flooding?

Do you know how UDP works?  The best way to put UDP is that it works as 'fire and forget', best effort method of transmission..  Time-sensitive applications, like games, often use UDP because dropping packets is preferable to waiting for packets delayed due to retransmissions. It also has less overhead than TCP so data transfer can be faster.  However UDP is an unreliable service that provides no guarantees for delivery and no protection from duplication.  It has no handshaking dialogues, and thus exposes the user's program to any unreliability of the underlying network; There is no guarantee of delivery, ordering, or duplicate protection.

The User Datagram Protocol

You can replace the modem you have, sitll that will not guarantee that your gaming issues will go away. 

I noticed you mentioned buying a new modem. Since you game, I strongly recommend that you stay away from any modem that uses the Intel Puma 6 or 7 chipsets - both chipsets have issues with latency, especially with the UDP protocol. 

Over on Reddit, I created a list of modems compatible with Xfinity. On that list are some modems denoted with a " + " symbol, all of those modems do not use a buggy chipset and would serve your needs quite well. My personal favorites are the TP-Link TC7650 24x8 modem and the Motorola (Zoom) MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 plus 32x8 3.0 channels - I beta tested the TC7650 and I currently use the MB8600 and it has performed flawlessly, as I write this message it has an uptime of 78 days 04h:42m:46s (a new record I believe).

Expert

Humm interesting. What games cause udp packet flooding?

Frequent Visitor

throttling firmware is not really the correct term.

Some games produce what is called udp packet flooding. It is not an issue as long as the server/client computers can handle the loads and the internet connection is open. But these gateways react to "udp packet flooding" in a manner that indicates the gateway sees this sudden flood that can occur as something malicious and shuts the port being used off. That is pretty aggravating.....

Since completely disabling the gateway firewall has zero affect on the ports being shutoff, it is either being limited by the firmware or potentially even the hardware itself.

Expert

Make sure you get one without throttling firmware filters.

Frequent Visitor

In my first message I said; "So from my perspective, you have downgraded my equipment and refuse to provide me with a simple modem that can match the performance of the original modem you provided me..... ok then that is just one less thing in my bill."

Yes "one less thing on my bill" means I am going and buying my own modem.

Expert

Why don't you just purchase your own modem if you're concerned about the throttling firmware filters? Perhaps give Arris support a call and ask them how to disable the throttling firmware filters?

Broadband Modems and Gateways 1-877-466-8646, option 1

Lets us know their reply pls.

Frequent Visitor

I have just received text and email saying a tech is scheduled to come to my house. There is no reason for a tech. There is nothing wrong with anything other than the fact the new equipment

you are supplying has limits that plain simple modems do not, even if you are not using the wireless. So a tech is useless to me, unless he can hand me a modem that is in fact a modem and not a gateway.

Frequent Visitor

I should add, the customer service rep. Jimmy John was very helpful. But the system will only allow him to send me another gateway identical to the one sitting here, that cannot do what I need it to do.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast equipment

I would just like to say that after 14 days, comcast is finally sending me a new modem... it is the wrong one... but you at least sent one.

Your new gateway's are not acceptable for some users... why you may ask?

The wireless coverage is good, the admin interface is nice and easy to use. But I don't use the wireless, I am wired directly into it.

The Arris TG1682G is a substandard piece of hardware for one very important reason.... it has filters built into the firmware that cannot be turned off in the firewall settings. As a result, some games cause the Arris TG1682G to suddenly block the port or throttle it disconnecting you from said game. I know it apparently does not like high udp packet traffic, which some games use because while it passes tests with flying colors, this modem is fine with up to 18 players playing on a server... when a 19th or 20th player join the server it begins throttling it, my ping suddenly changes from the stable "75ms" to over 3000ms and I get disconnected.... yeah... great performance.

I am sorry, but hardware with filters, limiters, etc. that are built into the firmware make your gateway's a paper weight for some applications. Considering the number of gamers in your customer base... that should be of some concern.

Now... because you people won't send me a simple modem... I have to drive nearly 30 miles round trip to your stupid store to return it all!

The original modem provided by comcast did not have this problem that these new gateway's have.

So from my perspective, you have downgraded my equipment and refuse to provide me with a simple modem that can match the performance of the original modem you provided me..... ok then that is just one less thing in my bill.

If you want people to keep these gateways, then you better make sure they can provide the necessary performance characteristics everyone requires. The one's you have out there now do NOT meet the performance requirements of many gamers. I strongly suggest whatever is limiting packet traffic in the firmware or hardware be changed to something that can be turned on/off in the gateway firewall. Because if a filter cannot be turned off... it can make the hardware useless.