Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Comcast email synchronization with Outlook 2016

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Comcast email synchronization with Outlook 2016

Is there any way to STOP Outlook 2016 (Office 365 suite) from rearranging the order of folders in the Outlook navigation pane during synchronization when using a Comcast IMAP e-mail account (Windows 10)? I prefer a POP3 account, but for some reason, it no longer syncs with the Comcast email server. Alternatively, is there a way to force an Outlook 2016 POP3 account to sync with the Comcast email server?

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Comcast email synchronization with Outlook 2016

I'm not sure if this will work in a client like Outlook, but in most webmail programs if you add a number to the front of the folder name it will sort them in numerical order before alphabetical.  So try doing that by using the Rename function, and numbering them starting with 1,2,3 etc in the sequence you want them.  Worth a try anyway.

All Replies
Expert

I don't have Outlook, but I think you can change the sort order for folders.  See here--------------------

https://www.slipstick.com/problems/folders-sorted-by-date-not-alphabetically/

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the instructions on moving (sorting) folders in Outlook  2016. If you look at my question carefully, you'll see that I already know how to do that. In fact, I do not want them sorted by alpha, but want them in order of most used near the top, etc. Unfortunately, when I use the IMAP version of Comcast email on Outlook 2016, everytime it syncs the folders between Outlook and the Comcast email server, it rearranges the Outlook folders in alpha order. If there is a way for me to "lock" the position of the Outlool folders in the IMAP version, that might solve the problem, but I haven't discovered how to do that.

Expert

I'm not sure if this will work in a client like Outlook, but in most webmail programs if you add a number to the front of the folder name it will sort them in numerical order before alphabetical.  So try doing that by using the Rename function, and numbering them starting with 1,2,3 etc in the sequence you want them.  Worth a try anyway.

Regular Visitor

OK, this appears to have worked, for now. I had to add the numbers to the desired personal folders out on the Comcast email server, and then added them also inside the Outlook IMAP account. Had to fool around with the Outlook "View" for a while to get it to look like what I was used to in the POP3 account. Unfortunately, since I have used the POP3 account for quite a while, some of the messages I recently sent and/or archived in that account do not display in the IMAP account (due to lack of synchronization of POP3 account with Comcast server), so I will have to retain the POP3 account as a "dormant" one and only access it when I need something still in there, but not in IMAP account. I am going to look for a way to rename the IMAP account; haven't found that function yet. Suspect I will have to set up a new IMAP account with the name I want and then delete the old one. Original IMAP account was set up by Microsoft tech with remote control and his name for the account is rather generic. Thanks for the suggestion.