Community Forum

Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?


josetania wrote:

Closure?? What closure?? I have a very similar problem. Same message every time I check spamhouse. My email provider (not comcast) blocks my email because my ip address appears in spamhouse PBL list. All my communications are authenticated SMTP.

 


If you're using SMTP AUTH (as you say you are), your email provider is using the PBL incorrectly.  You'll want to point them to this URL:

 

https://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/Spamhaus%20PBL#189

 

No! Spurious blocking caused by sites using the PBL to block authenticated access to smarthosts or outgoing email servers is not acceptable. The PBL is only designed to be used on incoming email, that is, on the hosts that your MX records point to."
Expert

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

You are replying to a thread that ended 3 1/2 years ago.  So I will close it, but also advise you to try calling Comcast Security about this issue-------------------

 

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

New Poster

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

Closure?? What closure?? I have a very similar problem. Same message every time I check spamhouse. My email provider (not comcast) blocks my email because my ip address appears in spamhouse PBL list. All my communications are authenticated SMTP.

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?


steve-baker wrote: ... Aha! 74.208.4.195 was listed by the CBL, but was delisted about 8 hours ago. ...

Well done sir! Closure is a wonderful thing . . .

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?


RedHandleRocks wrote:

Well I got the error once - and now I've sent the same message from another IP address - not Comcast (but the same mail server) and it worked.

 


Aha! 74.208.4.195 was listed by the CBL, but was delisted about 8 hours ago. You can confirm that at http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi .The CBL is a component of the SBL/XBL.  It all makes sense now! :-)

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?


RedHandleRocks wrote:

And it's complaining about sending from Comcast - not my server.



No, it's not. It says that it got an error FROM the server mx01.hmc1.comcast.net. That's an incoming server for Comcast business customers.  spsrx.com apparently uses Comcast to receive their email.

 

$ host -t mx spsrx.com

spsrx.com mail is handled by 10 mx01.hmc1.comcast.net.

spsrx.commail is handled by 50 mq01.hmc1.comcast.net.

spsrx.commail is handled by 50 mq02.hmc1.comcast.net.

 

And while the error suggests that one of the addresses is the problem, it's not necessarily the case. Some mail servers simply don't perform their checks until after they receive the recipient addresses, and then they report the error.


Why am I using the perfora.net server? Because that's where my mailbox is. You think I should send through Comcast and receive through perfora?


Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. Unless you need to send mail that Comcast would block, such as messages with more than 100 recipients.

New Poster

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

sending to spsrx.com - which I'm guessing somehow redirects to comcast, but I don't know.

New Poster

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

Well I got the error once - and now I've sent the same message from another IP address - not Comcast (but the same mail server) and it worked.

 

Why am I using the perfora.net server?  Because that's where my mailbox is.  You think I should send through Comcast and receive through perfora?

New Poster

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

No, in this case the 1and1 addresses are not what spamhaus is complaining about - the message suggests that one of the addresses is the problem.  I tried the 1and1 addresses first - and they all come up green. 

 

You say "You can use any server you have an account with, not just Comcast."  But I am using a server I have an account with - but it ain't Comcast's.  And it's complaining about sending from Comcast - not my server.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

This is not a saying that Comcast or your IP is on a blocklist. It's Comcast rejecting incoming mail because the perfora.net server is on the Spamhaus PBL. But I just looked it up and it's not. Are you still getting these errors?

 

Why are you using the perfora.net server in the first place? There's nothing wrong with using a remote SMTP server, but it's not usually necessary. You can use the Comcast SMTP server even if you use a non-Comcast sender address.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?


RedHandleRocks wrote: ... Which appears to say that if I'm using comcast for my ISP, I must use comcast for sending mail.  Is this really what it's trying to do?  ...

Almost. 67.168.161.246 falls in a range of IPs that that must authenticate (log in) to an SMTP server to send mail. You can use any server you have an account with, not just Comcast.


RedHandleRocks wrote: ... Who set this policy - and when did it go into effect?

ISPs -- years ago.

 

The message "550 5.1.1 74.208.4.195 Spamhaus BL006* Blocked for spam" suggests that 74.208.4.195 is the "problem" IP address, and that it is on a Spamhaus block list. 74.208.4.195 belongs to 1&1 Internet. At the moment, it doesn't seem to be listed by Spamhaus, but it is listed by SORBS. 

 

I would give Comcast Customer Security Assurance a call: http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Support. If they can't help you, they should be able to tell you who can.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?


RedHandleRocks wrote:

So the message I got today is

SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command:

host mx01.hmc1.comcast.net[76.96.53.13]:

550 5.1.1 74.208.4.195 Spamhaus BL006* Blocked for spam.
Please see: http://worknetkc.st.comcastsupport.com/sdccommon/asp/defcontent_view.asp?ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=e0...

 

That's a puzzler. The URL indicates that the email was blocked because 74.208.4.195 is listed by the SBL/XBL... but it's *not* listed by the SBL/XBL.

 

 

--- The header of the original message is following. ---

 

Received: from DougPP2
(c-67-168-161-246.hsd1.wa.comcast.net [67.168.161.246])

                by
mrelay.perfora.net (node=mrus4) with ESMTP (Nemesis)

                id
0Lu7ig-1R3BRS0r8Y-011NKb; Sun, 02 Oct 2011 14:59:57 -0400

 

So after winding my way through the spamhaus site and trying various IP addresses, I get that it's blocking on my comcast IP address - not the email server.

(on http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL191898)

67.168.0.0/14 is listed on the Policy Block List
(PBL)

 

That's not an unreasonable conclusion, but, according to the info in the error message, that's not what happened. The error came after the RCPT command. At that point the server that rejected the message couldn't have known that your PBL listed address would appear in the header because the header of the message hadn't been sent to the receiving server yet.


Outbound Email Policy of Comcast for this IP
range:


Email sent by Comcast subscribers using a
mail program such as Outlook Express are required to send the email through
Comcast. To insure your mail program is properly configured, please visit
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Email117481.

 

Which appears to say that if I'm using comcast for my ISP, I must use comcast for sending mail.  Is this really what it's trying to do?  Who set this policy - and when did it go into effect?

 

That info is maintained by Comcast, not Spamhaus itself, and it's actually BS. The actual Comcast policy is that you can send email via any third party email service you like, you're just not supposed to send email *directly* to the recipient servers. Basically it means that they don't want you running mailservers on their "residential" IP addresses.

 

That mx01.hmc1.comcast.net server seems to be acting a little "funny". Can you tell us what domain you were trying to send to? Knowing that might (or might not) be able to shed some light on the situation.

 

New Poster

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

So the message I got today is

SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command:

host mx01.hmc1.comcast.net[76.96.53.13]:

550 5.1.1 74.208.4.195 Spamhaus BL006* Blocked for spam.
Please see: http://worknetkc.st.comcastsupport.com/sdccommon/asp/defcontent_view.asp?ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=e0...

 

 

--- The header of the original message is following. ---

 

Received: from DougPP2
(c-67-168-161-246.hsd1.wa.comcast.net [67.168.161.246])

                by
mrelay.perfora.net (node=mrus4) with ESMTP (Nemesis)

                id
0Lu7ig-1R3BRS0r8Y-011NKb; Sun, 02 Oct 2011 14:59:57 -0400

 

So after winding my way through the spamhaus site and trying various IP addresses, I get that it's blocking on my comcast IP address - not the email server.

(on http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL191898)

67.168.0.0/14 is listed on the Policy Block List
(PBL)


Outbound Email Policy of Comcast for this IP
range:


Email sent by Comcast subscribers using a
mail program such as Outlook Express are required to send the email through
Comcast. To insure your mail program is properly configured, please visit
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Email117481.

 

Which appears to say that if I'm using comcast for my ISP, I must use comcast for sending mail.  Is this really what it's trying to do?  Who set this policy - and when did it go into effect?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?


Anon108301 wrote: ... I don't know how to PM you individually..

You can do that here: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/1150558

New Poster

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

the domain that bounced my email is newyorklife.com ... my life insurance broker.  the address that supposedly is listed with Spamhaus (and it IS listed, I looked it up) is my home IP address (what I see when I go to whatismyip.com)  I don't know how to PM you individually..

Official Employee

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

Anon,

Comcast emails servers are not listed on the Spamhaus PBL, a list designed to block email from dynamic IP space.  We need to know what domain you were attempting to send to and we should be able to track the problem down for you.  Please PM me with the email address you were attempting to send to and we'll try to track down what's going on.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?


Anon108301 wrote: My email sent via comcast from home are being blocked by Spamhaus saying my IP (comcast internet) is showing up in a block of blacklisted IPs from Comcast.  They're also saying that I can't unlist my IP because Comcast has to do it. Help!?!?!?

How are you sending your mail? The listing only means that SMTP servers (except Comcast's) should not accept mail from that IP unless the sender logs in to the server. See http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/

New Poster

Comcast email servers blacklisted on Spamhaus PBL - how to remove?

My email sent via comcast from home are being blocked by Spamhaus saying my IP (comcast internet) is showing up in a block of blacklisted IPs from Comcast.  They're also saying that I can't unlist my IP because Comcast has to do it. Help!?!?!?