Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Comcast e-mail used to spam

New Poster

Comcast e-mail used to spam

My comcast e-mail (spoofed?) was used to send spam mail (it appears possibly multiple times).  I do not use that e-mail for any reason, and have never registered it for any purposes.  This appears to have been used for German spamming.

There are no e-mails in my sent box, and I don't have any idea where the addresses came from.

2017-11-28_1154.png

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Comcast e-mail used to spam

Check your Sent folder to see if anything is in there that you know you didn't send. If there is, then the account has been compromised. In that case you need to change the password to something a lot stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change the secret question and answer for the account.

If the Sent folder looks OK, then the most likely thing is that your account is being "spoofed". Spammers can make it look like emails came from you when in fact they did not. If that is the case, there is nothing you can do except notify your contacts of the problem and wait it out. Once a spammer has your email address there is nothing you can do to stop it. But in order to avoid detection they will usually only use an address for a  short period of time and move on to annoy someone else.

Also, use your A/V software to run a complete scan of your machine to see if it can find anything wrong.

All Replies
Expert

Re: Comcast e-mail used to spam

Check your Sent folder to see if anything is in there that you know you didn't send. If there is, then the account has been compromised. In that case you need to change the password to something a lot stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change the secret question and answer for the account.

If the Sent folder looks OK, then the most likely thing is that your account is being "spoofed". Spammers can make it look like emails came from you when in fact they did not. If that is the case, there is nothing you can do except notify your contacts of the problem and wait it out. Once a spammer has your email address there is nothing you can do to stop it. But in order to avoid detection they will usually only use an address for a  short period of time and move on to annoy someone else.

Also, use your A/V software to run a complete scan of your machine to see if it can find anything wrong.