Community Forum

Comcast changed my routable IP to 10.0.0.2

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast changed my routable IP to 10.0.0.2

Somehow or another Comcast changed by routable IP address from 67.X.Y.Z to 73.243.233.V and planted 10.0.0.2 into my ASUS RT-N66U router. This all happened when Comcast felt the need to change my IP. I don't have a static IP. I would open a web browser and see 73.243.233.V when I went to a site that tells you your IP. Calling Comcast resulted in being told that I needed to call Microsoft because the copy of RDP application on my computer must have suddenly stopped working correctly. The only clue as to what was happening was my ASUS router showed that my addesss was 10.0.0.2!!! I then logged into the router part of my Comcast Cable Modem/Router and changed the Bridging to enable. After several reboots of Comcast equipment and my ASUS router I was able to connect to my servers at home using 73.243.61.W!!! The reconfiguring on Comcast and my equipment must have caused my routable IP to change? Going to canyouseeme.org let me see my ports were open and connectable. 

If you do RDP to your servers inside the Comcast network you have to be careful. Their tech support knows how to tell you to call Microsoft. This advice doesn't fix anything. They should know how to configure their Cable Modem for use with an external router. They should publish a user manual for their equipment that explains in the context of using their networking or using your networking. This would solve lots of problems. Using circular definitions of individual features in their equipment does not do anyone any good.