Community Forum

Comcast blocked Steam again?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Comcast blocked Steam again?

Four year old thread now being closed.

New Poster

Still blocked...

Regular Contributor

Well I guess you fixed it again. Thank you. Smiley Happy

Until the next time....

Problem Solver

On it. Thanks . I'll let you know when it's been resolved.

--
Adam
Comcast National Engineering // Customer Protection Team
Regular Contributor

Well it just started happening again.

Haven't gotten a single email from them since last night, in spite of many threads I'm in being replied to.

Typically I get many email notices every day, since I write in a lot of threads there. When the flow dries up, I know it's been blocked again.

Sending you a PM, Adam...

Silver Problem Solver

mj41865 wrote:

In any event, it's not really the webmaster's fault if people are going to be reporting them as spamming. The best thing they could do to avoid it, I think,  would be to use a difefrent domain for sending product information, so if it gets flagged as spam it doesn't affect the forums.

But I doubt Valve Software would be interested in going to that effort...

It's not the domain that gets flagged, it's the mail server.

If Steam isn't spamming, maybe they're outsourcing their email, and spammers are using the same server. When Comcast blocks the server because of those spammers, Steam is collateral damage.

Regular Contributor

madylarian wrote:

I think the best chance of a solution would be for more ISPs to block them until they did something about the problem.  Then most of their customers should drop them for a better run host  Then perhaps their admins might take some notice.  It doesn't matter if it's not Steam, if it comes from their mail servers it's their responsibility. 

mady

I don't think you understand what they do.
Their forums are simply free discussion forums for the video games they sell. but their customers pay for the use of the Steam Client application.
Now, in the "old" days you would have to buy a video game on a physical disk and in almost all cases you would have to have that disk in your drive to be able to play it. The DRM (Digital Rights Management) of the game was the CD or DVD itself and you had to have it or you couldn't play your game.
But Valve Software developed the Steam service in order to publish games of their own that you could download and use their Steam client as the DRM, thus eliminating the need for the physical disk. And shortly after they began publishing other big name game developer's games in this way and the service has taken off hugely.
To put it simply, all your games that you've bought are tied in through the Steam Client application which you have installed on your computer, and you can't play them without having that installed, since it is the DRM.
So you can't just "drop them" without losing the ability to play all your games. And if you have hundreds of dollars worth of games through them that's not an ideal solution. Smiley Wink
In any event, the forums are a different entity altogether - just a free service for anyone, and Valve owns and runs the servers for both the forums and the Steam Client.
Fortunately these problems only affect the ability to receive email notices from the forums, and not the use of the Steam Client.

Bronze Problem Solver

mj41865 wrote:

I think the best chance anyone could have for a permanent solution is if someone from Comcast were to contact their webmaster, and stress the problem, but I'd have no idea how to make that happen.

I think the best chance of a solution would be for more ISPs to block them until they did something about the problem.  Then most of their customers should drop them for a better run host  Then perhaps their admins might take some notice.  It doesn't matter if it's not Steam, if it comes from their mail servers it's their responsibility. 

mady

Regular Contributor

Barmar wrote:

It sounds like that's what they tried to do: "Adam here told me he told them about the problem last time as well."

But it didn't stick, and Steam is spamming again.

Well yeah, he did contact them in some capacity, but I don't know if that means he used the simple form for contacting the webmaster, or did something else, like contact someone higher up. In any event, he told me he didn't get a reply, but said that's normal.

What I meant was a more proactive form of contact, like calling them on the phone personally. I'd do myself it if I though I had a chance or knew the phone number for non-peons. Smiley Wink

Steam doesn't spam anyway. They don't send emails to anyone about anything unless the person has signed up. Then people report it as spam instead of taking the extra few seconds to unsubscribe, and thus cause Comcast's auto-ban thingy to kick in, and forcing me to waste my time and Adam's time in the forum here. Smiley Wink

EDIT:

In any event, it's not really the webmaster's fault if people are going to be reporting them as spamming. The best thing they could do to avoid it, I think,  would be to use a difefrent domain for sending product information, so if it gets flagged as spam it doesn't affect the forums.

But I doubt Valve Software would be interested in going to that effort...

Silver Problem Solver

It sounds like that's what they tried to do: "Adam here told me he told them about the problem last time as well."

But it didn't stick, and Steam is spamming again.

Regular Contributor

madylarian wrote:

Perhaps you might also want to put some pressure on Steam to take better care of their mail servers.  Wouldn't it be better to keep them from being blocked for spam by keep them from spamming?

mady

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, in a perfect world that would be an option, but they have something like 25 million subscribers and I have no idea how many forum members.

Contacting them is pretty much limited to sending an email to either their Support, in the case of a problem with one of their products, or emailing the webmaster, in the case of forum problems.

Support wouldn't have anything to do with a problem such as this, and the webmaster... who knows? I don't know if they even read their emails. I have sent messages about this before, and in a PM, Adam here told me he told them about the problem last time as well.

I think the best chance anyone could have for a permanent solution is if someone from Comcast were to contact their webmaster, and stress the problem, but I'd have no idea how to make that happen.

I never see anyone else complaining about it, although I'm sure it must affect thousands of Comcast customers. *shrug*.

It's tough being a peon out here. Smiley Wink

Bronze Problem Solver

mj41865 wrote:

Thanks again Adam, it's working again now. Smiley Happy

I would love to mark this as solved, but I have a feeling I'll be revisiting this trhead many times in the future. Smiley Wink

Perhaps you might also want to put some pressure on Steam to take better care of their mail servers.  Wouldn't it be better to keep them from being blocked for spam by keep them from spamming?

mady

Regular Contributor

Thanks again Adam, it's working again now. Smiley Happy

I would love to mark this as solved, but I have a feeling I'll be revisiting this trhead many times in the future. Smiley Wink

Problem Solver

This should be corrected. 

Thanks,

Adam

--
Adam
Problem Solver

Hey mj41865, I'm looking into this for you.

--
Adam
Regular Contributor

Well, suddenly as of this afternoon it began happening again, and I have stopped receiving email notices from the Steam forums...

PM sent to cc_adame...

Bronze Problem Solver

madylarian wrote:

It's not Steam that is the problem but rather the ISP whose email server they use.

I see no indication that Steam are outsourcing email. Did I miss something?

Regular Contributor

Well I would assume they have their own servers for everything. I don't see how they could operate a company as large as they are (25 million customers) and run their own gaming platform without all their own servers.

Adam got it all fixed though. Smiley Happy

Bronze Problem Solver

mj41865 wrote:

Phishing? Hmmm... that's certtainly not something they would do intentionally.

They are constantly under attack by hackers, however.

Anyway, I do greatly appreciate your hard work here on this, and thanks again and again. Smiley Happy

I haven't tried to use my Comcast email yet. No time for that right now but I wanted to reply to this anyway.

I'll let you know if I have any problems or not later.

It's not Steam that is the problem but rather the ISP whose email server they use.  It is the mail server that is being blocked, not Steam.  If the ISP is not vigilant in monitoring their users some other customer could cause the mail server to be blocked for all who use it.

mady

Regular Contributor

Phishing? Hmmm... that's certtainly not something they would do intentionally.

They are constantly under attack by hackers, however.

Anyway, I do greatly appreciate your hard work here on this, and thanks again and again. Smiley Happy

I haven't tried to use my Comcast email yet. No time for that right now but I wanted to reply to this anyway.

I'll let you know if I have any problems or not later.

Problem Solver

It appears that their ip was sending out a phishing email, which caused the blocks. I notified them, and it looks to have stopped. I'll keep an eye on it for a while.

Let me know if you have any further trouble.

Thanks,

Adam

--
Adam
Regular Contributor

It's all good Adam, and thanks again!

Problem Solver

mj41865,

I will invistigate this further for you, and let you know the outcome asap. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Adam 

--
Adam
Regular Contributor

Okay, it began happening again.

For a while there I was getting emails from them, but again now, nothing.

I tried the same routine as before to verify - rapidly went back and forth from my Comcast addy and my gmail addy and every time I got notices in gmail but never in my Comcast address.

Someone there suggested that Comcast should be able to whitelist the domain as well as blacklist it, and that should defeat any attempts at it being automatically blocked. I have no idea how it all works though.

Thanks again!

Regular Contributor

Okay, I understand.

Well I hope it doesn't happen again, but I see what you mean about how it happens.

I've marked this as "solved".

You'll be the first person I go to the next time it happens. Smiley Wink

Problem Solver

You're most welcome!

Yes, it can happen again... Sometimes people click 'this is spam' rather than unsubscribing. Unfortunately, this has adverse effects for people that want the emails.

Since most people want these, I wouldn't expect it to happen again anytime soon. If it does, just let us know.

Cheers,

Adam

--
Adam
Regular Contributor

Thank you, you're amazing! Smiley Happy

I just tried to add my Comcast email again to my account there and immediately a confirmation email went through to my Comcast addy that I use.

Amazing, just amazing. Man, you're good! Smiley Happy

One question though - should I expect to see this happen again?

Can't something be done? I mean, it doesn't seem right that some users can report a domain as a spam server and it just gets shut down for everyone.

Does Comcast verify that sort of thing? Valve software doesn't send out spam and the ONLY way anyone would get anything is if they signed up.

Anyway I do greatly appreciate it - you have a wonderful day! Smiley Happy

Problem Solver

Thanks, That's all I needed. Their IP had been blocked due to users reporting them as spam.

I've removed the block, and you should start receiving them again.

-Adam

--
Adam
Regular Contributor

Okay here we go:

------------------------------------------------------------------

X-Persona: <*REMOVED*>
Return-Path: www-data@valvesoftware.com
Received: from imta08.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net (LHLO
 imta08.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net) (76.96.62.77) by
 sz0130.wc.mail.comcast.net with LMTP; Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:09:52 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from wcmx3.valvesoftware.com ([216.207.205.110])
        by imta08.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net with comcast
        id B69r1g00b2PSPqo0869rk3; Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:09:51 +0000
X-CAA-SPAM: N00000
X-Authority-Analysis: v=1.1 cv=Htvce1UFyHyQc2Hu2S0p+F/SyHcqxnWHST179YzJ8ls=
 c=1 sm=1 a=R0YzKOA58iMA:10 a=i7s4YuWtaOcA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10
 a=y3OlVW1qOdfu5qMUxCrsaw==:17 a=R-i5E3IrAAAA:8 a=peF1-_JZP0gT-TuqTg8A:9
 a=V3nJivQKMOdDdmdqeTQA:7 a=Ji84gJMmQMIi745ahZgkn2-NThkA:4 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10
 a=MihpneyGuBgA:10 a=8bX9YDKeH_UA:10 a=eji1TFsnTxIA:10 a=TOlIrLKhykQA:10
 a=5cXuYwOBbCoA:10 a=y3OlVW1qOdfu5qMUxCrsaw==:117
Received: from web-03-03.cluster-03 ([10.2.3.36] helo=web-03-03.valvesoftware.com)
        by wcmx3.valvesoftware.com with esmtp (Exim 4.69)
        (envelope-from <www-data@valvesoftware.com>)
        id 1PrwgH-00016H-V0
        for *REMOVED*comcast.net; Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:09:50 -0800
Received: from www-data by web-03-03.valvesoftware.com with local (Exim 4.69)
        (envelope-from <www-data@web-03-03.valvesoftware.com>)
        id 1PrwgH-0006Y5-TH
        for
*REMOVED*@comcast.net; Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:09:49 -0800
To: *REMOVED*@comcast.net
Subject: Reply to thread *REMOVED*
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
Message-ID: <20110222180949.4fdcdd0bcc34@forums.steampowered.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:09:49 -0800

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is all the info I have from Eudora email. It should be plenty since I think this is all I had to supply last time this happened.

I guess I should have just posted this to begin with. Smiley Wink

I removed all my personal information, such as my email address and marked with " *REMOVED* " in place of what was there.

Let me know if you need that stuff or anything else.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Problem Solver

mj41865,

Would you please post the headers from the last email you received from them? Once I see those, I'll be able to look into this for you.

-Adam

--
Adam
Regular Contributor

Comcast blocked Steam again?

*sigh*

About a year or so ago I had to report here that I suddenly stopped receiving emails from the Steam Users Forums, and it looks like I have to again.

Steam is a video gaming forum and the worlds largest online retailer of video games, by the way, for those who don't know.

Last time I was told here by a Comcast employee that somehow Comcast had identified their domain as a spam server, which it most definitely is not, and had blocked it. Someone looked into it and fixed it and I started getting emails again to my Comcast email address.

I have verified that it is NOT on my end. I have asked other people if they are getting their email forum notifications and they are. I also temporarily switched it to a gmail address and immediately received a confirmation email from Steam. Then I switched it back to my Comcast email address and...nothing. Switched it again to gmail, and got an immediate confirmation email...

I did that three times before deciding to write this email.

I REALLY hope someone looks into this. I will supply any information I need to. Using gmail sucks.

The Steam domain is:

http://forums.steampowered.com

The forum address is:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/index.php?s=d8df1600fb8fbc03c55d629d016cac1d