Community Forum

Comcast and Microsoft Outlook 2003 email

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: Comcast and Microsoft Outlook 2003 email

It doesn’t matter if I’m using mail.comcast.net or 96.114.157.77 for incoming mail server, but my ports must be set to 110 and 587 for me to be able to get e-mail. The dialog box still appears and Outlook does stop responding. Regardless, thank you very much. You seemed to have helped many others.

Frequent Visitor

I've seen this once in a great while; I think it's a DNS or Comcast thing, rather than Outlook.

There seem to be several ways to set up Outlook & here are the settings I use:

Mail.comcast.net

SMTP.comcast.net

SPA OFF

Ports 995 & 465 with SSL ON

which seem to work 99% of the time.

New Poster

A couple of years ago I had trouble with Outlook 2003 and a tech told me to set the POP3 incoming server to 93.114.157.77 and the incoming server port to 110, outgoing port to 587. This worked fine until recently when a dialog box appeared saying, “The server has refused the connection”. Clicking OK when it showed up allowed me to get mail for a while, but now I can’t. Test account settings reveal no errors. I am already set to IPV4. Any advice?

New Poster

I WANT TO ADD TO THE MV PETERS APPRECIATION CLUB!!! That's why I'm shouting. Comcast insitsted the my Arris telephony modem could no longer keep up with the new upgraded speed that they had upgraded and i needed to get an Wireless Gateway from them, so I did and the install went fairly easy untill i tried to download e-mail through my laptop started getting error message that the pop server could not be found for either comcast or g-mail. Tried downloading through my desk top with is connected to the new modem/router via ethernet and everything came through ok. double checked the settings and they were the same. (Only thing that had changed was the new modem/router) I am glad that I found your answer in this forum.

Found the wireless networ setting and sure enough both IPV6 and 4 were checked. Unchecked IPV6 and VOILA!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

4 years later and it's still relevant

Comcast should put it at the top of the page

New Poster

MV Peters - you are a genius!!!!  

MS "updates" turn on IPV6 just because they think they are too smart for us consumers that pay their wages.

One day I will update away from PRODUCTIVE Office 2003 to the NON-productive mouse waving trash-ware they call Office 2016.  I can't bear to pay them monthly for their junkware that reduces productivity.

New Poster

I am trying to re configure my Outlook 2003....It has been working just fine till yesterday....I have gone on line and put in all the correct data... and even the testing is good.  I recieve emails but none will go out for me??? In coming port is 995 out going is 465... I have done all the other things too....many times... Smiley Happy

Why am I having problems....

Thanks Smiley Happy

New Poster

IPV6 was the culprit! I installed a new modem last night and somehow IPV6 got turned on! Thank you SO much!

New Poster

THIS IS GREAT !

THANKS MVPETERS !!!!

Nothing worked to get my Outlook 2003 working on a POP3 email connection.

I did 2 calls in to Comcast today at 10:30 and 5:30 or so.

The email has been not working since Monday, when I put in my new

Comcast ARRIS Gateway #  TG862 G/CT.

[My old Comcast modem had been iffy for weeks on Netflix. Its EOL and just stopped working on Mon. My old router was a Dlink DIR-655 that seemed to be OK. I kept having to reset my old modem to get Netflix to work on my DVD player (Sony).]

Then I read the MVPETERS thread, see below.

Turning OFF IPV6 internet protocol ver 6, fixed the outlook problem instantly, and Outlook was able immediately to download all my messages for the last 2 days onto my machine.

I just did this, by left clicking on my active network adapter, and opening the "Properties". Its a  1 GBPS LAN adapter Marvell Yukon on a Asus motherboard. And unchecking the IPV6 option, in the "This Connection uses the following Items" list. Very simple !

I just checked Netflix operation, it has fine streaming quality, without IPV6;

and peer-peer BT download is fine at 2.1 MByte/sec, which is what I usually limit it to, to avoid Comcast resetting my modem.

My other email POP3 settings I'm using right now, that work, are:

In and Out servers: mail.comcast.net,  smtp.comcast.net

In and Out server ports:  995,   587 with SSL turned on for both. (and I have Leave Msgs on Server =  checked.)

But Im sure I can change these now to the more secure IMAP settings... That may be less vulnerable to spam ?

BTW, Outlook 2003 seemed to be trying too often to access the network.

It turns out, I had Outlook set to Autosave unsent msgs every 3 minutes, so I changed this to 20 mins just in case.

And I changed Check for Email from every 5 min to every 20 min.

- --------------------------------

Outlook 2003 does not like IPV6.

Go to Control Panel - Network - Adapter Settings - right-click on your adapter & switch IPV6 off.

(December 2014)

- --------------------------------

THanks again MVPETERS !!!

Tech support had no clue at COmcast, and sent me over to Microsoft, who said I should buy a more recent version of Outlook and tried to get me to do that. I am using various versions of Office components, since I had a Microsoft Developers license, and have used a lot of these covered products on my home lab machines.

I think I'll try changing some of the internet addresses also. For the servers, etc. Using ipconfig values I guess.

Frequent Visitor

Spent 3 days and about 7 phone calls to Comcast for this problem and final resolution was that I should call Microsoft because the fault was in the Outlook program.    Your answer MVPETERS did the trick.  Many, Many Thanks.

I backed down from IPV6 to IPV4 and all's well.  I assume ver. 6 is "better than 4" and don't know if it will annoy other programs, but right now it works.

TECH SUPPORT AT COMCAST SHOULD FOLLOW THESE BLOGS AND MAYBE THEY COULD GIVE SOME DECENT ADVICE.

THANK YOU THANK YOU MVPETERS!

Frequent Visitor

Outlook 2003 does not like IPV6.

Go to Control Panel - Network - Adapter Settings - right-click on your adapter & switch IPV6 off.

(December 2014)

Gold Problem Solver

gerdafr wrote:

Same problem.  So far no luck in being able to receive e-mails.  Been on for many hours with tech. support, they have not been able to figure it out, I can send out just fine4, receiving NO, able to get on Internet.  Many tech people even said it was MY FAULT, but no explanation.  CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON IT.

Are you also using Outlook 2003?

Please check ALL you settings againest those in this clickable link.  Go slowly so you don't miss any of the settings.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/configure-outlook-2003-xfinity-email

Post back

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Visitor

Same problem.  So far no luck in being able to receive e-mails.  Been on for many hours with tech. support, they have not been able to figure it out, I can send out just fine4, receiving NO, able to get on Internet.  Many tech people even said it was MY FAULT, but no explanation.  CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON IT.

New Poster

THANK YOU for this great advice.  After 3 calls with comcast (one convincing the 3rd person that you actually DO support email and that I wasn't making up my lengthy discussions with two previous co-workers who diligently worked on the problem) and giving up with the 3rd later before an argument about helping me ever even ensured, I googled for instructions.  I came across this and then .... VOILA, after hours and hours, I had a fix.  THANKS so much.

New Poster

Thank you so very much for posting the Outlook settings!!!  I had had enough of the Comcast interface that perpetually times out, throws errors, launches extra windows/tabs and doesn't support proper email formatting.

If they ever decide to cut off your account, you've lost your email history.  They did this to me by accident and their offshore so-called "support" (after an hour on the phone) would only turn it back on for 24 hours.  Then I had to call back and spend another 90 minutes on the phone so they would leave it on and they never did get it quite right.

I've switched over to using Outlook.  Thanks again for posting it!

Gold Problem Solver

shere wrote:

Did that and still no luck.  I have called comcast and they issued me a ticket number to assist with this problem.  No one ever called.  They tested my comcast account 3 times and that was it.  Where else can I find help?

Please post what happens exactly when you send a message to yourself in Smartzone?  Do you receive it in Smartzone or not? Are you receiving any error messages in either SZ or Outlook?  If yes, please post the entire error message.  Which browser/version are you using?

I use the following settings in Outlook 2003:

Pop 3:mail.comcast.net

smtp; smtp.comcast.net

Pop3 Port 995 with SSL ON ticked

SMTP:  Port 465 with SSL ON ticked

Under the Server Tab:  My server requires authentication is checked

Log on using Secure Password Authentication is NOT checked

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Poster

Did that and still no luck.  I have called comcast and they issued me a ticket number to assist with this problem.  No one ever called.  They tested my comcast account 3 times and that was it.  Where else can I find help?

Gold Problem Solver

shere wrote:

New computer and trying to set up my comcast email in Microsoft outlook 2003.  Following the posted advice with setting it up and still no luck.  Not recognizing my email account with comcast.  Any suggestions?

Clear your cache first. Have you tried to send yourself an email & tried to open it in Outloo 2003?  First close Outlook, send yourself a message, and see if it appears in Outlook.  Also- Under the Advanced tab, did you tick the box to Leave a copy on the server after ddownloading to Outlook or not?

i would also recheck each setting carefully in Outlook 2003.  Post back the results please.  I use the same settings in the recommended settings successfully for years.

http://forums.comcast.net/t5/E-Mail-Help-Forum/E-Mail-Client-Settings-customer-generated/m-p/778889#...

New Poster

Comcast and Microsoft Outlook 2003 email

New computer and trying to set up my comcast email in Microsoft outlook 2003.  Following the posted advice with setting it up and still no luck.  Not recognizing my email account with comcast.  Any suggestions?