Community Forum

Comcast Routing is screwed up - can't reach a tech who understands...

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Comcast Routing is screwed up - can't reach a tech who understands...

Here’s what’s happening – comcast is routing all of our traffic, regardless of where we’re navigating to, through Nashville, then Chicago, ATL, Dallas, LA, and then to whatever the destination is. This means, for instance, that when we ping facebook.com, the traffic has to travel more than 11,000 miles. As it is now, we start seeing significant packet loss at 11 hops or so. Unfortunately, there’s apparently no one at comcast that you can reach via phone who understands how route tables work. This is a widespread problem in our area (Smyrna, TN), and comcast’s standard response is to ping the modem, say ‘oh, I see what you’re talking about’, and then schedule someone to come check your modem and wiring. Even when I explain to them that they need to let someone in the NOC know about it, since the problem doesn’t even occur until the traffic is 1,000+ miles away from me, the next question I usually get is “are you using a wireless modem?”  How thick can you get?

Any ideas on how to get these folks to figure out that the problem may actually not be with my wiring?? If there was an alternative for high speed Internet in my market, I’d be on it instantly, and so would me clients.

Expert

Re: Comcast Routing is screwed up - can't reach a tech who understands...

Please post some sample traces to the sites that you feel are being mis-routed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Yes.. I have spent 12 hrs on the phone w/ comcast (tm) relative to my intermittent problems with TCP/IP connectivity over the last 6 weeks.  Routing from HSV to ATL was fine, but tracrt failes via Nashvile would fail. This would be every time I was trying to connect to Netflix.  The 1st tier support will only have a 'technitian' come to your home ( at their leisure) ... fkm

Silver Problem Solver

Again, post your tracert's...