Community Forum

Comcast Messing up Upstream Power Level Today

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Comcast Messing up Upstream Power Level Today

Did anyone experience Internet issue this morning, 2018-01-24 9:00-11:30 am EST? I noticed the upstream power level was down 10dB and after that Internet became very unstable - up and down, and modem kept rebooting. Uncorrectable symbols spiked to the sky. See the charts atatched. After about 2 hours, the upstream power level was up 10dB, returning to what normal level was. Apparently they noticed the abnormality and leraned that the addition of amplifier(s) (for 10dB gain) did not work out, and then backed out.

(My modem upstream lower 10dB meant they added amplifier to gain 10dB.)

I worked from home some days. In this situation, I could only cry. Image you were in a WebEX or Skype meeting and presenting something or viewing something, this kind of incident really knocked you out/down, as nothing you could do, while your coworkers in the other ends of online meeting puzzling.

Today just an extreme case, that's why I am reporting here. In normal days, such interruptions in Internet happen all the time to me, every day, with T3, T4 timeout resulting modem reboots. That's why I spent the time creating the charts to monitor the network. I have tons of other metrics not shown here.

I don't mean that Comcast can't perform work at day time, nor do I mean I have to have 100% up time service. But this kind of prolonged downtime, and frequent daily T3, T4 timeouts, is just terrible. However I don't have a choice, and I understand that.comcast_180124a.pngcomcast_180124b.pngcomcast_180124c.pngcomcast_180124d.png

comcast_180124d.png
comcast_180124a.png
comcast_180124b.png
comcast_180124c.png
Authorized Vendor

Re: Comcast Messing up Upstream Power Level Today

Love the graphes..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Expert

Re: Comcast Messing up Upstream Power Level Today

RZ8 wrote:

Apparently they noticed the abnormality and leraned that the addition of amplifier(s) (for 10dB gain) did not work out, and then backed out.

FWIW. Not necessarily. It wouldn't likely affect both the upstream and the downstream power levels equally in that way.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!