Community Forum

Comcast_Desktop_Software_1401

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Comcast_Desktop_Software_1401

We don't work for Comcast and Nobody is defending them or in no way is misleading the OP or saying that it was not so....

Year old dead thread now closed.....

Ahh.... Clever stealth edit pal.....

New Poster

It's not <violation of forums>... It happened to me just 10 minutes ago. I'm running an hours old clean install of Win7Pro x64 on an HP z400 workstation. The file name that was downloaded is "Comcast_Desktop_Software_1401.exe", which was downloaded 03SEP2016 @ 16:46 from:

http://odol-atsec-den-05.neto-prov.xcr.comcast.net/Comcast_Desktop_Software_1401.exe

Removal instructions at this website (reasoncoresecurity.com) will do it automatically in less than 5 minutes, just follow the install instructions, get rid of the afore mentioned Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) aka: PUP.Visicom.Installer.Comcast_Desktop_Software_1401.exe & then uninstall the Reason Core Security software. If you decide to keep it, the first 30 days are free.

Generally speaking, I haven't had any problems with Comcast. When I do it's something small & annoying like this that they have no solution for, other than blaming the victim, as can be witnessed by the following replies to the person who started this thread.

Diamond Problem Solver

You must be on a very old system or there was a major glitch or mistake. They stopped the then needed download of the provisioning software years ago. It's now done through a walled garden DNS re-direct / modem self activation page which does not force the downloading of anything.

Silver Problem Solver

There is NO required software from Comcast. You did not have to download or install anything.

You may have to re-format and restore from your latest backup.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast_Desktop_Software_1401

I upgraded my internet service and purchased a new cable modem.  When I connected to my cable modem and attempted to activate my new modem through the web browser, I was required to download and install an application called "Comcast_Desktop_Software_1401.exe".  Upon opening the application, it immediately began installing a number of Windows services, registry changes, and who knows what else.  There was no welcome screen, confirmation, or explanation.  As soon as I opened the application, it began installing, and then closed.

There are no new entries added to my "Remove Programs" menu.  There does not seem to be any way to remove whatever this required application did.  My chrome browser's settings were curropted, my system's interupts are hogging the CPU cycles, and I am seeing errors all around.

How can Comcast get away with something like this?  This is malware.  Plain and simple.  Aren't there laws about this sort of thing?

How can I reverse whatever this did?