Community Forum

Caught public hot spot turned on AGAIN!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Caught public hot spot turned on AGAIN!

I don't like the shenanigans with comcast turning this public hotspot on constantly.  I had to turn it off earlier this week. 

I dislike not having full control of modem functions.  These had to be made like this on purpose.

Can they do this on retail voice/data modems as well?

Valued Contributor

Re: Caught public hot spot turned on AGAIN!

The hotspot is only a feature of the comcast gateways so a retail model would not have it.  Have you turned it off in your account settings?  I just wonder if maybe you are picking up the network broadcasting from another modem or hotspot outside.

Frequent Visitor

It is disabled in accounts settings.
I have to enable it in accounts and come back to the page again and disable to shut off the public hotspot. This is twice in a week.
There is no where on the comcast modem page to control the public portion. That is where the trouble is.
Expert

@Ronny_Cordova wrote:

I just wonder if maybe you are picking up the network broadcasting from another modem or hotspot outside.

FWIW, you can cross reference this easily enough. If you unplug your gateway from the A.C. power source and the hotspot broadcast name (SSID) disappears, you'll know that it's yours. If it remains, it's someone elses.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I know about that trick.  The first time it happened that is exactly what I did. 

While I am sure the newbies appreciate these responses,  I am definitely way above newbie stage. 

The voice/data modem page does not allow control of that annoying hotspot feature that I didn't consent to.  We should be able to shut it off permanently on the modem settings page,  but nope. 

My next steps may possibly be to port the phone number some where else and roll the internet speed back and keep cable tv and put my regular data modem back on.

Expert

@whatnamesrleft wrote:

I know about that trick.  The first time it happened that is exactly what I did. 

While I am sure the newbies appreciate these responses,  I am definitely way above newbie stage.  

Sorry for trying to give you a tip..... We're not mind readers here.... Good luck ! Smiley Happy

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

I apologize if my response seemed hostile.  Only wish comcast would be straight with people instead of pulling their usual shenanigans. 

Expert

Understood. No worries ! I'm not an employee.