Community Forum

Cant stop norton popup or uninstall norton..

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Cant stop norton popup or uninstall norton..

How do you get rid of this norton popup , it downloaded for windows 10 which i do not want or have , now its constantly poping up trying to connect to norton server..why.. ? I don't want the update, won't let me uninstall norton to even start over,, and where is norton download located ? why make it so hard for people,, ??

email me answers ..

Re: Cant stop norton popup or uninstall norton..

Hi viper6, can you tell us exactly what the popup says?  Is it for Win 10 or for a new version of Norton?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Sorry for the trouble. Please provide a screenshot of the pop-up you get & we'll surely look into it. If you want to uninstall Norton, please try to use our removal tool: http://www.norton.com/symnrt

Harry

Norton Support

Frequent Visitor

I am having exactly the same infuriating problem. I want to wait for a reasonable period of time before I even consider installing Windows 10. About every 15-30 minutes the same maddening pop-up occurs telling me to download the new Norton to match Windows 10.

It would be annoying even if I could close the little window, but I have to go into the Task Manager every time to stop it.

I'm fine with Norton as a little fringe benefit of my Comcast subscription but this is getting in my way as I try to access the Internet.

It's hard to believe that viper6 and I are the only ones experiencing this. Please check into it ASAP, Comcast!

Frequent Visitor

I haven't found a way to place a screenshot here (if I were that competent I could probably make the Norton popup disappear Smiley Wink) but at the right of a big checkmark it states: Install an updated version of your Norton product for Windows 10.

I've tried to attach it but don't if it will be successful. Unless it's some dark and devious spam or pfishing project, the source is presumably Norton.

Thanks for your interest in pursuing it.

Norton Popup.png
Frequent Visitor

It appears I was able to provide most of an image in my previous post. Will you be able to look into this? Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Kathy123,

I was able to match (almost) your image. The image in the link is for Norton Security instead of Norton Security Suite.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v113033802_EndUserProfile_en_us

At the bottom of this page (in Step 2) there is a link for an insatll from an ISP (COMCAST) - that is the one you want.

BTW I noticed from your screen shot you also have McAfee installed - hopefully it is not running in real time - as if it is it will cause conflict between it and Norton.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks very much for your reply. No, the McAfee predates Norton and it's not running in real time.

I'm still confused. The link seems to be for those who have upgraded to Windows 10, which I have not. I don't want to install Windows 10 until I read more reports. I simply want to get rid of the popup, which continues to infest my computer.

How can I accomplish that?

Thanks again in advance for your advice.

Let me ask a question.  What is the Version of the NSS you are running?  On main page of NSS select Help and then About. 

Is it version 22.5.2.15 and if it is, has this pop up only occured since you upgraded the system?

If not version 22.5.2.15, which versionis it?

Frequent Visitor

Yes, it is 22.5.2.15. We returned from a 16-day trip to Europe the day before yesterday, during which time the computer had been turned off. The popups started to occur after the computer was turned back on.

Thanks for the info Kathy, it sounds like it is tied to the upgrade to 22.5.2.15 and this is starting to be a common occurrence with the upgrade - as there are other users who are having this same situation on both the Norton Retail products and Comcast NSS. 

Norton is aware of situation (which does us users no good at the moment), however it appears to me that it is occurring on Norton "older" products after upgrade to 22.5.2.15 on "older" systems.  ie. NIS/N360/NSS upgrade on Win 7/Win 8.1.

Nothing more I can say at the moment - other than I hope you enjoyed your Europeon vacation - I spent a total of 10 years in Europe (between England and Germany) over a 23 year Air Force career and enjoyed it totally.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the assistance and all of the information, USAF_E-8_RET. Are Comcast and Norton aware of this for sure. You can imagine it's annoying to have it repeated over and over and over. In fact, we just returned from a shopping trip and there it was again. It seems to be happening as often as every 30 minutes and it's pain to be in the middle of e-mail or a web page and have this popup block my use until I alt-control-elite, open the manager and close it on the Task Manager.

Would it be worth uninstalling Norton and reinstalling it?

We just spent 16 days with a 12-year-old granddaughter in Rome, Venice, Munich, and Paris. We travel a lot and this was an atypical "hit the tourist spots" tour but it is marvelous to take a young one on an elevator all the way to the top of the Eiffel Tower for example. We took our oldest grandchild on a similar adventure last summer, and we have five more to go! Great fun - and may I belatedly thank you for your long service to our country.

I am also a GURU on the Norton Fourm - I go by yank over there and I have tried to light a fire under Norton for a response - but as a volunteer I can also do so much.

Sounds like some nice trips in the future! 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks again! Scanning the Norton forum doesn't make me enthusiastic to download Windows 10 immediately, as I can see others are experiencing problems making Norton with it. I'm happy to let others be the pioneers and Beta Testers when upgrades come out. 

It's ironic that Norton security is the source of my biggest "security" annoyance at the moment - a barrage of unwanted popups.

Since I don't want install Windows 10 as yet, would I solve this current annoyance by uninstalling and reinstalling Norton? What are your thoughts about that?

Kathy - anything is worth a try!  But  don't know if it will help since others are experiencing it and it sems they have alreayd tried that - but thee are no two systems the same - so?

Frequent Visitor

Again, I appreciate your prompt and useful response. You've saved me possibly spinning my wheels and perhaps even complicating things further.

Norton is going to get some pressure if others are experiencing this and I'll be content for the time being to sit back and close it once or twice an hour - and as I typed those words, it popped up yet again.

Thanks very much!

Kathy

Information just posted on this forum:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Norton-Popup-re-Latest-Version-for-Win-10-Compa...

New Poster

Kathy-123...I, too, am getting these annoying popups every few minutes, tho I am able to close them (temporarily) by selecting the "ask me later" option.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled Comcast Norton multiple times -- the popups persist and I still cannot get it to activate.  Caution:  I was initially automatically upgraded to the W10 Norton version 22.5.2.15 yesterday a.m. (I am running Win 7 with no plans to upgrade to W10).  All was good--everything worked and no activations issues.  Then a few hours later I got the popup and stupidly clicked "next" to upgrade.  Within seconds all Norton functionality disappeared - forcing reinstalls, which then resulted in the activation failure --- and the popups continued.  The popups are, at least for the time being, the lessor of the evils.  Yea, I know, that's sad.  Good luck!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks to both of you for the information and updates!

From the Norton Forum:  User SLSALES has provided a guide to temporarily stop the popup and has graciously shared it at the following URL.

Norton is still working on a permanent fix, however you may desire to try this - at your own risk.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6566911#comment-6566911

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that latest bit of information. I'll try it out.

Frequent Visitor

Update: By golly, it seems to have worked! We've passed the the 30-minute mark without a popup. Beautifully laid out instructions even for Luddites such as me, USAF_E8_RET. Thanks very much!

You are welcome - I love the thrill of victory!

Problem Solver

We have released a fix for this issue. Please refer to our support article:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v113935352_EndUserProfile_en_us

If anyone still face this problem, please check our article and use the fix tool. Let me know if you need further help.

Harry

Norton Support