Community Forum

Cannot get rid of the Comcast anti virus at start up

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Cannot get rid of the Comcast anti virus at start up

I need help - I installed the Comcast Infinity toobar and in the preferences selected the anti-spyware option but did not install the Constant Guard Protection Suite. Since installing the tool bar I cannot shut down my XP pc normally - I have to use the power on/off button on my pc to shutdown.

I have determined that the shutdown problem is related to the tool bar and so I uninstalled it, but soon discovered that in msconfig utility Startup that there is a Comcast anti virus program checked. I unchecked it but it keeps returning despite every effort to remove or diable it. I found a Comcast

program folder in WIndows Explorer programs that contained an anti virus .exe file and several other associated files including an uninstall .exe file. I ran the uninstall application and thought I had gotten rid of the Comcast anti virus startup in msconfig utility. However, it comes back checked over and over again despite unchecking it!!!

Can some offer any suggestions - I have hit a brick wall.

Mary

Frequent Visitor

Re: Cannot get rid of the Comcast anti virus at start up

I use xp also on my computer and I uninstalled the comcast toolbar because it slowed things down and it was glitchy. Things are much better! Go into your control panel---- add and remove programs, and remove comcast toolbar and reboot or restart your computer as they say.While your in your add and remove programs you might remove ca pest patrol realtime protection, that is your antispyware scanner. You can live without it. Nortons can do it all.You can have more then one antispyware  program on your computer if you want. The ca pest control works fine on my computer so you can keep it or not, just something to think about.

Regular Contributor

zeike,

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I was unable to find the Infinity Toolbar or Comcast Toobar in A/R, however I did find it listed in my Revo Uninstaller and uninstalled it. I do not find a ca pest patrol realtime protection listed in A/R or in Revo - not sure how it might have found its way into my pc.

Here is a more detailed summary of what I have so far done to try to prevent the shutdown hang:

I installed the Comcast Infinity toobar that has some
desirable features and in the Preferences options menu. I selected the
anti-spyware option but did not install the Constant Guard Protection
Suite which contains an anti virus app by Norton and other security
apps. Since installing the tool bar I was unable to shut down my XP pc
normally - it hangs at "windows is shuttung down" -  I have to use the
power on/off button on my pc to shutdown.

I determined that the shutdown problem was somehow related to the tool
bar and so I uninstalled it, but soon discovered that in the System
Configuration Utility (msconfig) Startup there is a Comcast anti virus
program checked.This was never there prior to installing the Infinity
toobar and I'm convinced that it must be running in the background and
interfering with the shutdown process. I unchecked it but it keeps
returning despite every effort to remove or disable it. I found a
Comcast program folder in WIndows Explorer  C drive Programs that
contained an anti virus .exe file and several other associated files
including an uninstall .exe file. I ran the uninstall application and
thought I had gotten rid of the Comcast anti virus startup; I also
disabled it in Services. However, it comes back checked over and over
again despite unchecking it!!! It cannot be found in Revo uninstaller,
MS Add/Remove Programs or CC Cleaner uninstaller. I have searched for
it in Windows files and folders and Windows System 32 files and
folders without success. No luck so far in the registry either, but
not sure what I am looking for there.

As an aside I have Winpatrol Plus and in the Startup list there is no
Comcast antivirus to be found - same with the Startup list in CC
Cleaner and System Explorer. Why it would only appear in
System Configuration Utility startup?

TIA
Mary

Gold Problem Solver

The scan that comes with the tool bar is CA Pest Patrol.

Did you see that listed in Add Remove or Revo?

Mary, just curious - what is the exact wording of the entry in the startup tab of msconfig?

Did you at anytime have the Comcast version of McAfee installed on your system?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response Q-E

No, the only thing I saw in Revo was Comcast Toolbar which I removed using the advance option. I did not find Comcast anti virus or CA Pest Patrol. The Comcast Toolbar was not in Add/Remove. As indicated I am unable to find the Comcast anti virus file /app in any of the uninstallers I have used.

Mary

Regular Contributor

USAF,

Thanks for your interest - as indicated the only place I find the Startup entry is in msconfig - it is not in WinPatrol or System Explorer or CC Cleaner startup listings.

In msconfig Startup it is depicted as ComcastAntivirus and is found in the Command: C:\Program Files\comcasttb.  I was able to find the comcasttb folder and run the uninstall file and thought I had completely removed the ComcastAntispy and ComcastAntivirus files but somehow Comcast antivirus is still active ( at least it shows it checked when the pc is booted).

Mary

Hi Mary,

Please go one more step into the Startup Tab - what does it say under the Location heading?  I'm not sure, but I wonder if the startup could be attributed to a Registry Key that you do not have permission to change.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

In theory when a program is removed the entry should also be removed in msconfig.

The reality is that they sometimes are not. With no evidence of the program on your computer I am convinced that it has been removed but the msconfig entry did not go bye bye.

Not long ago, I briefly installed the toolbar to test something. After my test I uninstalled the toolbar and CA Pest Patrol using Revo. After the uninstall, I looked to see if anything had been left and found a couple of things I deleted.

I just took a peek at msconfig on my system and I see the same thing listed:

Comcast AntiSpy Client  with a folder listed in Program Files and a registry key.

I searched for the folder. It is not on my computer. But the entry still remains in msconfig.

Removing the entry involves editing the registry. If you are comfortable with registry editing you can go that route. DO NOT MESS WITH THE REGISTRY IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE DOING SO. REMOVING THE  WRONG THING CAN MESS UP YOUR SYSTEM.

I normally don't bother with registry editing but there are times I will do it. I just found the entry in the registry, deleted it, and the listing disappeared from msconfig. IF this is something you want to do, let me know. I have the path I followed to it in regedit.

Long ago I found a program which would allow you to remove un-needed items from msconfig, but have no clue what the name of the program is. I have some time on my hands so I will search for something and get back to you.

edit to add: I found it.  When I tried it, there was nothing listed in the results. More searching turned up the fact that people said it did not work with Win7.  One person said it worked with Win7 Pro.

http://download.cnet.com/MSConfig-Cleanup/3000-2094_4-10388647.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1d

Your choice whether to remove it from the start up list or leave it. The program is gone and not active on your system.

Regular Contributor

The location listed for the antivirus listing in msconfig is:  Software\Microsoft\ WIndows\Current Version\Run; however it doesn't indicate which key. I searched all 5 keys and did not find anything. However, QE seems to have unlocked the dilemma for me. I will not mess with my registry, but will try the cleaner mentioned.

Thanks again for your assistance,

Mary

Regular Contributor

Q-E,

Thank you for your efforts and input. I am not comfortable editing the registry, but will DL and have a look at the cleaner you referenced - sounds like a useful app.

This a.m. when I booted the pc and went to msconfig and the Comcast antivirus box was unchecked - Eureka. I don't know how or why it got unchecked but a restart of the pc did not hang as before.

Hopefully it will remain unchecked until I can remove the entry.

Mary

Gold Problem Solver

Here is the path that worked for me.

To edit the registry Start/Run regedit.

In Win7, Start/Search regedit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Msconfig/startupreg

Right click ComcastAntiSpyClient and choose Delete.

Confirm the deletion.

Expert

There is more than one location. Check both.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ WIndows\Current Version\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ WIndows\Current Version\Run

Mary,

I am also a wimp when it comes to doing anything in the registry, however I feel a lot safer doing anything since I downloaded, installed and use ERUNT to backup my registry everytime before I even type regedit.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Sorry to LPP and Evie for jumping in!

Regular Contributor

Q-E

I have Win XP SP3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE/Microsoft/  Win XP does not contain a Msconfig/startupreg entry.

I searched again for such an entry in all the keys and found nothing under Microsoft containing Msconfig/startupreg. If it is there, it must be somewhere else in the registry.

Mary

Regular Contributor

Lo,

Been there and tried that but could find nothing resembling Msconfig startupreg or Comcast antivirus

Expert

Also check your Startup folder. Easiest way to get to is via the Start Menu.

Gold Problem Solver

You could try this. You *might* find it by opening regedit.

When regedit opens, click File/Find.

Type in comcastantispyware.

This is how I found it in the registry.

Gold Problem Solver

It has just been pointed out to me that I left out something in the path I used in regedit.

Here it again.

To edit the registry Start/Run regedit.

In Win7, Start/Search regedit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Shared Tools/Msconfig/startupreg

Right click ComcastAntiSpyClient and choose Delete.

Sorry about that.

Regular Contributor

Q-E 

Well I spoke too soon - this a.m. when I booted up my pc, I went to msconfig to see if Comcastantispyware was there and sure enough it was there and CHECKED again!!

I again tried your revised registry search

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Shared Tools/Msconfig/startupreg

and it was not listed there or in the startup folder.

Biggest mistake I ever made was to install the #%@& Infinity toolbar!

Guess I will have to go to msconfig and uncheck Comcastantispyware each time I want to shut down the pc and hope it will not hang.

Mary

Regular Contributor

Thanks L

Please excuse my lack of expertise, but which startup folder are you refering to and how do I access it? I'm hopelessly lost, but making good time.

Mary

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Q-E  I DL'd the Msconfig Cleanup application and installed it. When I open it there are no items listed under the Application category just one unchecked box. There appears to be no way to open the items list that I can find.

I will Google the application and see if there might be a forum or other help resource.

Mary

Gold Problem Solver

Try checking the box for Comcastantispyware in msconfig. Then close msconfig, start regedit, and see if you can find an entry for Comcastantispyware in the locations LPP gave:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ WIndows\Current Version\Run
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ WIndows\Current Version\Run

If you find an entry, delete it.

While still in regedit, you could search for Comcastantispyware by clicking "My Computer" at the top left of the window, then Edit / Find.

Also check for a Comcastantispyware entry in Start Menu under All Programs / Startup.

Please post your results.

Regular Contributor

Bruce,

Thanks for the input - had not luck finding Comcastantispyware with the suggestions you made. However, for some reason, currently unknown, the msconfig entry Comcastantispyware has disappeared and the last few times I shut down there was no hang.

Just maybe I'm out of the woods.

If there is anyone monitoring this thread my advice is DO NOT INSTALL THE COMCAST INFINITY TOOLBAR!!!  It's few desirable features are not worth the difficulties that await you.

Mary

New Poster

This is what worked for me. 

1. Uninstall all CA products, including the tool bar and Constant gaurd with the programs and features in Windows 7.  Do the same if running XP under add / remove programs.  Go to the run command, and type in MSconfig Enter, 

2.  Look for any Comcast Xfinity tool bar, comcastantispy or any CA product. uncheck them from the "Start"and from "Services" buttons.  

I left the Norton Security suite alone.  Restart the system and test. 

Note - My problem was I could not watch any Fandago movie clips with out the video stalling and recieved high memory usage from Norton about the Comcast antispy product.  Also 76%-100% CPU usage just sitting there..  All is fine now.

OS Windows 7  4GB RAM 

New Poster

I had they same problem... using windows troubleshooting software it says it is only compatible with windows xp (2nd service pack) if you are using the NORTON security that comes free with comcast then when you open the main dashboard the colum to the far right there is an option called "startup manager" it will then list every program that starts as soon as u start computer scroll to the comcastantispy.exe double click it and it will open a "file insight" at the top right corner there is a link that says "locate this file" it will then open in a windows window showing everything that is associated with this program and the bottom option is "UNINSTALL" double click that "if running windows 7 it will ask for permission to make changes to computer, hit the yes option" then it will open the uninstaller and you just follow prompts to completely uninstall this program WHICH MAKES THE COMPUTER NOTICEABLY FASTER