Community Forum

Can't get cisco / arris CM to shut off wifi

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Can't get cisco / arris CM to shut off wifi

I was recently required by comcast to upgrade their supplied Arris TM722G to a Cisco DPC3941T and ARRIS TG1682G (both look and function identically). I upgraded twice because of a wifi problem, read on:

I've had my own router for wifi for a long time and need to use "bridge mode" for the CM.  I do not want any wifi from the CM, but I get it no matter what. The problem is not matter what combinations of settings I try on either CM...

• 2.4 and 5ghz wifi under connection / wifi - both disabled
  • Bridge mode turned on
  • I have the "Public hotspot" feature disabled
  • I followed the directions from here for other problems, but it did not help

.... both CMs present 5 "hidden" SSIDs, full power:

• The 10.0.0.1 web pages indicate that wifi is off, but it is not.. i get 5 hidden SSIDs
  • The wifi lights on the CM are almost always on, again no matter what the 10.0.0.1 pages say wifi status is
  • I used several 'wifi analyzer' type tools to show that hidden SSIDs are there
    • Some of the SSIDs are on 2.4 ghz, some on 5ghz .. it can vary
    • The mac addresses of these hidden SSIDs follow what 10.0.0.1 CM wifi hardware info shows
    • If I pull the power for the CM, the hidden SSIDs disappear, and return when its powered on
    • Take a look a my screen shots.. I have blinking wifi lights and 5 hidden ssids regardless what the pages say... the problem has been going on all day.

Here is my challenge / request to you: If you have one of these cable modems in bridge mode, and expect wifi to be off, can you use a wifi analyzer type tool and see if you are getting ~5 hidden SSIDs with Mac addresses that match your CMs hardware? (Android app: Wifi Analyzer, Windows 10 app: Wifi Analyzer)

Or if you have a solution I would love to have it. Again, all combinations of turning off 2.4 and 5 ghz radios and Bridge mode tried

Thanks

Paul

Has anyone found anything that works?

PaulCM Wifi.jpg

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't get cisco / arris CM to shut off wifi

I've resolved this by ordering my own cable modem that does not have built in wifi capability.