Community Forum

Can't add Hotmail account to Xfinity

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: Can't add Hotmail account to Xfinity

followed verbatim and it did NOT work.....

New Poster

You have to put the full e-mail adress for user name

Frequent Visitor

Again wrote:

I just added a hotmail address to my Xfinity Connect webmail with no problems.  Well, not quite.  I had one problem and the form showed me where it was by highlighting it in pink.  I had to use username@hotmail.com instead of just username, and I have Use SSL to encrypt server traffic checked.  Port is 995.  I then sent a test message and everything was verified and the account works with both incoming and outgoing mail.

I tried it with the SSL to encrypt checked and it added the account, but I am not able to get my email from that account.  When I click on my other accounts, there is a place to click 'get external mail' however on the hotmail folder it just says 'get mail' and when I click it it goes to my primary folder.  The hotmail emails are not received. 

Are you able to get emails to your hotmail folder?  What did you put in the Server box and Account box?

I entered in the Server box:  pop3.live.com and in the Account box:  hotmail.  Are those the settings you used?  Can you post the settings you used for each box (obviously not your read email address or password)

Carol

Expert

I just added a hotmail address to my Xfinity Connect webmail with no problems.  Well, not quite.  I had one problem and the form showed me where it was by highlighting it in pink.  I had to use username@hotmail.com instead of just username, and I have Use SSL to encrypt server traffic checked.  Port is 995.  I then sent a test message and everything was verified and the account works with both incoming and outgoing mail.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. Any idea how to get it to work with comcast?
Bronze Problem Solver

sadievan wrote:
Isn't Hotmail a windows product? Carol

Actually, they are both products of Microsoft under the umbrella name of Windows Live.  Hotmail is an online, web-based email service and Windows Live Mail is an email client that you install on your computer, to be used to download email from Hotmail, Comcast and any other email provider.  Of course, MS would love it if you confused them and used them one product.

mady

Frequent Visitor

Isn't Hotmail a windows product? Carol
Bronze Problem Solver

sadievan wrote:

Hotmail is Windows Live Mail, so that's why it work's in Windows Mail.

No, that is not quite true.  Windows Live Mail is actually an email client that is installed on your own computer. It is the email client provided for free by Microsoft.  It's an updated program that replaces Outlook Express.

mady

Frequent Visitor

steve-baker wrote:

I have also successfully added my hotmail email to my iPhone and iPad with no problem.
Is that via webmail, or via an email client that uses the POP3 protocol?
It is via an email client.
I think the problem lies with Comcast.
I've been fooling around a bit, and I think my question and comment above might be irrelevant. The email client that generated the error message I quoted was Pegasus. I've since tried Windows Mail and Thunderbird, and they worked OK. Pegasus works OK if I check the box that says:
Disable certificate validation (warning: read help before using this)
SSL is about encrypting the connection, *and* about verifying the identity of the remote server via third party CA - "Certificate Authorities". So you don't send your stuff to some nogoodnic DNS hijacker, or something. I don't really know enough about it to have a solid opinion on whether Windows Mail and Thunderbird are being "too lax", or  Comcast and Pegasus are being 'too strict", or whether Hotmail is just doing it wrong, or whatever. If it was just Pegause having a problem I'd guess that it wasn't up to speed on the valid CAs. But where Pegasus *and* Comcast are having a problem, I'm leaning toward something being mucked up at Hotmail. You know how those guys are... they don't follow standards, they just create their own when it suits them. ;-)

Hotmail is Windows Live Mail, so that's why it work's in Windows Mail.
I don't know why it won't work on Comcast. 
Carol

Bronze Problem Solver

sadievan wrote:
I can access my hotmail online at hotmail.com.
That's webmail. Despite the fact that you're trying to set things up in Comcast's webmail, Comcast will use POP3 to try to get email from Hotmail.
I have also successfully added my hotmail email to my iPhone and iPad with no problem.
Is that via webmail, or via an email client that uses the POP3 protocol?
I think the problem lies with Comcast.
I've been fooling around a bit, and I think my question and comment above might be irrelevant. The email client that generated the error message I quoted was Pegasus. I've since tried Windows Mail and Thunderbird, and they worked OK. Pegasus works OK if I check the box that says:
Disable certificate validation (warning: read help before using this)
SSL is about encrypting the connection, *and* about verifying the identity of the remote server via third party CA - "Certificate Authorities". So you don't send your stuff to some nogoodnic DNS hijacker, or something. I don't really know enough about it to have a solid opinion on whether Windows Mail and Thunderbird are being "too lax", or  Comcast and Pegasus are being 'too strict", or whether Hotmail is just doing it wrong, or whatever. If it was just Pegause having a problem I'd guess that it wasn't up to speed on the valid CAs. But where Pegasus *and* Comcast are having a problem, I'm leaning toward something being mucked up at Hotmail. You know how those guys are... they don't follow standards, they just create their own when it suits them. ;-)
Carol

Frequent Visitor

I can access my hotmail online at hotmail.com. I have also successfully added my hotmail email to my iPhone and iPad with no problem. I think the problem lies with Comcast. Carol
Bronze Problem Solver

sadievan wrote:

Am trying to add my Hotmail account to my Xfinity email.  I think I've got all the correct info, but am not having any luck.  I go to Preferences and add other. 

1.  Account type:  Pop3    -    Server:  pop3.live.com

2.  Account Name:  Hotmail    -    Username:  myusername (my email address before the @ (also tried my email address with @hotmail.com)

3.  Email Address:  myemailaddress@hotmail.com    -    Password:  mypassword

4.  Change pop3 port to:  995

I keep getting an error message.  "We were not able to validate your credentials. Please check that your settings are correct and try again."

Any ideas what's wrong. 

Thanks

Carol

This is what I get when I try to access the Hotmail POP server via an email client:

Error -32 activating SSL session (locus 6014, type 4, code 0, 'Server provided a broken/invalid certificate, try again with a reduced level of certificate complian')

It's not about the user/pass or any of that stuff, it's about the client and server not being able to do the "SSL thing". According to my email client, things are borked at Hotmail. Can you check email at Hotmail via an email client? If so, I'm stumped. If not, it looks like there's nothing for it but to wait until Hotmail gets things sorted out.

Frequent Visitor

Can't add Hotmail account to Xfinity

Am trying to add my Hotmail account to my Xfinity email.  I think I've got all the correct info, but am not having any luck.  I go to Preferences and add other. 

1.  Account type:  Pop3    -    Server:  pop3.live.com

2.  Account Name:  Hotmail    -    Username:  myusername (my email address before the @ (also tried my email address with @hotmail.com)

3.  Email Address:  myemailaddress@hotmail.com    -    Password:  mypassword

4.  Change pop3 port to:  995

I keep getting an error message.  "We were not able to validate your credentials. Please check that your settings are correct and try again."

Any ideas what's wrong. 

Thanks

Carol