Community Forum

Can I use Xfinity eMTA/gateway with separate modem?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: Can I use Xfinity eMTA/gateway with separate modem?

New Poster

Makes sense thanks again.
Official Employee

Stevins wrote:
Ok thanks, @ComcastAndrew do you agree that I have to verify if my local area accepts this config?

No, you shouldn't have to, it's quite common. Especially when someone's telephone and internet service are not close to the other in a residence, making 2 devices the only solution.

New Poster

Ok thanks, @ComcastAndrew do you agree that I have to verify if my local area accepts this config?
Official Employee

Yes as long as when you add the splitter, your modem and EMTA are still within specs
New Poster

Assuming this is approved, is that the correct configuration. Thanks for the reply.
Official Employee

Don’t bother with bridge mode. When you get the new modem call in with it so the boot files can be split properly.
Expert

If your local area allows you to have more than one modem, you could check by asking someone at the local service center, than you should be just fine.

New Poster

Can I use Xfinity eMTA/gateway with separate modem?

I've searched a bit on this but can't find a definative answer....

I want to use Xfinity voice service for my home but want to purchase my own modem.  I have read that this can be done but no details.  I am renting the Arris TG1682G.  Do I just put the TG1682G into bridge mode, attach both TG1682G and new modem to the coax, activate the new modem, connect my 3rd party router to the modem, and I'm good?  

Thanks in advance