Community Forum

Can I continue to use the XB3 router with the Gig service

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Can I continue to use the XB3 router with the Gig service

I just upgraded to the gig service, and have not yet picked up the XB6 modem . Question I have is what harm will it be to continue to use the XB3 modem. I noticed the the XB6 has only 1 Ethernet port while the XB3 has 4. Currently I have 4 security cameras hooked centrally in a control panel powered by 1 POE box which is connected to my CURRENT cable modem. Plus I have pool adapter to monitor the chemicals in our pool and two laptops hardwired to the XB3.  Furthermore, my cable modem is plugged into a Z-Wave adapter..so if my cameras somehow go offline , I can easily reboot everything remotely  ..( YES..it does work like a charm) . Getting another z wave switch is $$$$ and reconfiguration is a PIA . Any thoughts/recommendations would be welcomed. 

I have searched high and low and can’t seem to find a Gig modem that includes phone adapter, 4 Ethernet ports , and is wireless that’s compatible with xfinity. 

Thanks 

Official Employee

Re: Can I continue to use the XB3 router with the Gig service

No, XB3 isn’t rated for Gig service

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Why, I wonder did the XB6 come out with only 2 Ethernet ports and not 4 . Is there a Device that has the same configuration as the XB3 but is Gig adaptable.. ?

Silver Problem Solver

@RSchaeffer3 wrote:

Why, I wonder did the XB6 come out with only 2 Ethernet ports and not 4 . Is there a Device that has the same configuration as the XB3 but is Gig adaptable.. ?

It hasn't been an issue for me because I use gigabit switches.  On my XB6, only one ethernet port is enabled and I connected one 8-port gigabit switch to it.  I have ethenet going to my den and I have another gigablt switch there so I don't have to use wifi.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RSchaeffer3,

Like @RobertWy mentioned, you just need a gigabit switch if you need more ethernet ports. XB6-->switch-->clients

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@RSchaeffer3 wrote:

Why, I wonder did the XB6 come out with only 2 Ethernet ports and not 4 . 

Perhaps the designers felt that for the future, WiFi is becoming a more prevalent medium than wired ethernet connections ? Plus it saves some money on the manufacturing costs.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@RSchaeffer3 wrote:

I have searched high and low and can’t seem to find a Gig modem that includes phone adapter, 4 Ethernet ports , and is wireless that’s compatible with xfinity. 

There isn't one, which is why I wound up getting my own modem (ARRIS SB8200) for gigabit while still using my older modem (ARRIS TM722G) for voice only, and my own router (ASUS RT-AC88U), which has 8 ethernet ports and a ton of neat features. 

The others are right though, all you need is a gigabit ethernet switch. I've had the Netgear GS308 unmanaged 8 port switch for 3 years now, and it's been rock solid. Plus it's only $20 ATM on Amazon.