Community Forum

Cable modem issue

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Cable modem issue

I activated my account yesterday, and used my own equipment (modem and router). The modem is a Motorola Surfboard Sb5120 Docsis 2.0 and the router is Netgear. I was told by the sales department to contact activation department, for they requested the modem's Mac address. I did provide them the mac address, but according to them the modem is not connected since it is an outdated version.

I did plug in the modem, and was able to activate the line by submittting a verification code which arrived on my mobile phone. The internet was OK with the same modem and router. However, the light on the modem kept being orange/yellow. When I asked the activation department how can an outdated modem send packages, their answer was a "glitch".

I went to visit 3 of my friends who use the same modem model, and their internet is perfectly working.

I do understand the differences between Docsis versions, but the explanation given to me does not make sense. Currently I am having internet through Wi-Fi but not wired through my modem

Is there any way you can manually activate the modem? 

Thank you

Expert

Re: Cable modem issue

AFAIK they are no longer activating / reactivating DOCSIS 2.0 devices. Your friends' modems are likely to be *grandfathered* in for now. You are likely better off getting a DOCSIS 3.0 or an even later and more future-proofed DOCSIS 3.1 model modem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!