Community Forum

CM1000-1AZNAS Not supported?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

CM1000-1AZNAS Not supported?

I've nothing but difficulty with this modem.  Two modems, couldn't auto-provision, hours on the phone doing it manually, and then repeated dropped connections.  Need help please.

Techs came to the house, replaced every splitter and jumper in the house, and connectors in the junction box on outside of the house, and some device in the box on the street.    Fewer dropped connections but still at an unacceptable rate (~2 per day).

Another tech visit and this tech says "your house is solid",  "the power levels and noise is within limits" and "you probably got a bad modem". 

So... Amazon sends a replacement and of course... it's all happening again:   Cant provision. 

90 minutes on phone support...No joy.    This time, however, the phone technician informed me that a 'Tier 3' Comcast engineering support person said they do not support this model.   "Not the CM1000-1AZNAS, just the 100NAS".  AND "they do not have a bootfile written for this specific model" (I actually have this in an email sent me by the support tech).

I'm perplexed because the item description (and indeed right on the box) clearly says:

NETGEAR Gigabit Cable Modem 32x8 DOCSIS 3.1 Max speed 6 Gbps | For XFINITY by Comcast and Cox. Compa...

SO my questions are:  is this modem (-1AZNAS) supported on Comcast's network (Yes or No)? 
If 'Yes', is there a systemic compatibility problem with comcast and the Netgear CM1000 in general?   
Has anyone informed Netgear of this?  They've spent a lot on advertising from the looks of it.

Expert

Re: CM1000-1AZNAS Not supported?

Hi @Anon242097

I checked directly with a Comcast employee that has specific knowledge in that area. The CM1000-1AZNAS is not supported at this time. It has not been tested and approved, thus there is no bootfile for it.  Smiley Sad

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Frequent Visitor

Interesting.  Would the (lack of a) bootfile only affect auto-provisioning or could that have something to do with the dropped connections as well? 

This is a big deal in my mind, because Netgear is marketing it as compatible (see link)

Expert

Sure, having the wrong bootfile can cause all kinds of issues. Although they are both essentially the same hardware so I woulld think it would be okay. The headend (CMTS) would see it as an unsupported device though, which may cause issues. Maybe you just have signal issues? 

See the troubleshooting guide.

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Frequent Visitor

Well in my original post, you'll see that the techs eliminated 'signal issues' as the problem. 

I'm not convinced because they went to a fair bit of trouble replacing hardware in and around my house.

I'm going to dump the CM1000 and go with another brand.  I don't have time to screw with this (who does?).

Based on what you said I feel like Netgear has misrepresented their products as compatible.

Silver Problem Solver

It's a weird one, looked at the specs on Netgear looks just the same as the original CM1000. Maybe it should be configured with the same firmware and config as the original.

I have the CM1000 (original) works fine.

Expert

As far as I was made aware of from Netgear the 1AZNAS is the exact same thing but just saying sold by Amazon being why the AZ is in there.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Where can I find documentation of this?
Expert

Just ask Netgear. It’s also on the questions and answers section of that very link you have.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

And yet Amazon sells the retail box version of the CM1000, and it's getting really good reviews. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.

I am a regular customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks all. I returned the second CM1000, replaced it with a MOTO MB8600. Day three, and not on dropped connection.