Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Bug in email search (Xfinity Connect New Experience)

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Bug in email search (Xfinity Connect New Experience)

In Xfinity email search, prior to conversion to the new version ("New Experience"), I was able to put any search term in the search box, and the results would include any email that included that term, whether in To, From, Subject or the mail text (i.e., body of the email).  But with the "New Experience" email, it won't actually search the body of the email if you do that, as it did properly in the old version.  Looks like a bug to me, and contrary to the behavior the help files suggest ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/search-your-xfinity-connect-inbox ).

I have found a workaround, which is to specifically choose "in mail text" from the drop-down that appears as the search term is typed.  But besides requiring an extra step, this again seems like a bug, and contrary to how old mail worked, how other webmail serach systems work (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo), and what the help files say.  If the bug can't be fixed, at least the help files should be updated with the correct explanation to keep people from accepting incomplete search results as accurate.

Thanks.

Expert

Re: Bug in email search (Xfinity Connect New Experience)

It's not a bug.  It's the way the Appsuite software is written.  When I type a word in the Search field, I  get a drop-down with the options to search in either the subject or text.  Are you not seeing this?_-----------------------------

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 10.41.13 AM.jpg

Contributor

Thanks.  IMO opinion the old way (where it searched avery possible location in an email for every search term) makes more sense.  Then the dropdown choices would be useful for *narrowing* the search down from global.  Again, since this is a change from how it used to work, and how other typical webmail search systems still function, it would be good to change the help files to clarify so that people don't draw incorrect conslusions about search results.  At first I was just concluding that "there must be fewer emails containg that term than I expected," and when I tried selecting "in mail text" I was confident I wouldn't get any more results -- but to my surprise I did

Well, despite the poor documentation (especially for something that works differently than before and differently than elsewhere), it is good that the function isn't simply broken.

Further question:  If you select "All Mail Text" it appears that it also gives you results where the searched term is in the subject.  I.e., with the new system "All Mail Text" is essentially the new global search.  Is this correct?

Expert

As far as I can tell, if you don't specify any search operator, the default is that it will search the subject fields for your word(s) in whatever folder choice you specify.  It doesn't search for anything in the body of the emails, or the sender or anything else.  At least it didn't when I was playing around with it.