Community Forum

Blocked IP address

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Blocked IP address

Blocked IP

How do I get Comcast to remove blocking of the following IP address:

The server company said it was blocked yesterday due to too many login attempts but now is white listed. I can reach the site fine via Verizon.  

comcast tracert.JPG
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Blocked IP address

@DSBFL wrote:

Blocked IP

How do I get Comcast to remove blocking of the following IP address:

The server company said it was blocked yesterday due to too many login attempts but now is white listed. I can reach the site fine via Verizon.  

it appears they blocked 'your' IP via your Comcast modem. Comcast can't connect to a server that blackholes (blocks or ignores) the current Comcast IP.

edit: moved your post to the home nettworking area of the forum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thank for your quick reply. I have rebooted the Comcast modem several times to no avail. Additionally a Comcast customer in another state cannot access this site either. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: it appears they blocked 'your' IP via your Comcast modem. ...

No, the block appears to be wider than that:

C>tracert -4 181.214.31.78
Tracing route to madrid.servershost.net [181.214.31.78] over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1      8 ms      6 ms     7 ms  router1 [192.168.1.1]
  2    21 ms    14 ms    14 ms  96.120.9.181 [96.120.9.181]
  3    21 ms    20 ms    15 ms  te-0-6-0-0-sur02.york.pa.pitt.comcast.net [162.151.68.57]
  4    22 ms    14 ms    14 ms  be-50-ar01.lancaster.pa.pitt.comcast.net [162.151.20.33]
5-30   *            *            *         Request timed out.
Trace complete.

This looks like a Comcast IP block.

OP: If an employee doesn't take care of this for you here, Comcast Security Assurance should be able to help. Give them a call at 1-888-565-4329 (from http://constantguard.comcast.net/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers.

The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful. If so, be persistent, and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Diamond Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

it appears they blocked 'your' IP via your Comcast modem..

Actually that is in the backend Rusty, not at the modem. Hop number 4 is the second "CRAN" (Converged Regional Access Network) router after the CMTS.

New Poster

Thank you for the quick reply and tracert from your location. I contacted Comcast via the number you provided and they have opened a Case# for me. 

Your tracert  proved it was not just my modem. We'll see what they do to resolve this issue. Hopefully soon.

New Poster

I have the same IP address issue of 181.214.31.78 by HostForWeb, my webhosting and personal domain email and the same issue starting on 02/20/2018 .. calling the Comcast Security Now ..

Diamond Problem Solver

@Anon15455 wrote:

I have the same IP address issue of 181.214.31.78 by HostForWeb, my webhosting and personal domain email and the same issue starting on 02/20/2018 .. calling the Comcast Security Now ..

FWIW, with *virtual hosting* it is quite common to have multiple domains sharing a single IP address.