Community Forum

Blast

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Blast

Just upgraded to Blast today and have since seen on here, that Comcast recommends DOCSIS 3 for Blast.

I was issued with an Arris 502G which of course is DOCSIS 2.

Called Comcast and they say that DOCSIS 2 is ok and there is no need to change it.

So which is it? Surely if DOCSIS 3 is recommended, then that's what I want.........Help!

Problem Solver

edit

edit

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Blast

I have been through the same thing, the official response is D3 is recommended but not mandatory as a D2 modem will supply Blast! speeds.  I couldn't get my TM602G eMTA replaced either, but I am getting full Blast! speeds without problems.

With the increased rental fees, I'm going to purchase my own eMTA which will be D3.

Silver Problem Solver

I don't get it then, if that's the policy, the web site should say that DOCSIS 2 is ok....Just causes confusion!

Thanks Jay.

Expert

@JayInAlg wrote:

With the increased rental fees, I'm going to purchase my own eMTA which will be D3.

Jay. Did you confirm that your particular area will allow customer owned eMTA's ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

EG

Yep, the Best Buy on the corner has had them on the shelf since they came out last fall, just not big sellers.  I have chatted with the Connection Center sales rep on multiple occasions, and try to send sales leads his way.

I was holding off because of traveling, but now the rental went to $7 so more incentive to do it.

Expert

Then I would too ! I've never leased a modem from them in nine years !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Diamond Problem Solver

Yep, I owned until I added CDV 2 years ago.

Regular Visitor

I have had Triple Play with BLAST for over 3 yrs and have NEVER gotten the speeds (esprcilly upload)  I'm paying for.

I called Comcast last week with a question and happened to mention my speeds. The Rep told me that because I have phone service with them it requires a special modem. She also told me that the modem I have will NEVER allow me to get the speed asvertised for Blast, it's physically not capable of handeling it.

So for 3 years I've been paying for BLAST with them knowing very well the modem I have could not handle it.

I'll be calling them today and feel I'll be on the phone until they close........

Dan

Expert

@Palaimo wrote:

I have had Triple Play with BLAST for over 3 yrs and have NEVER gotten the speeds (esprcilly upload)  I'm paying for.

I called Comcast last week with a question and happened to mention my speeds. The Rep told me that because I have phone service with them it requires a special modem. She also told me that the modem I have will NEVER allow me to get the speed asvertised for Blast, it's physically not capable of handeling it.

So for 3 years I've been paying for BLAST with them knowing very well the modem I have could not handle it.

I'll be calling them today and feel I'll be on the phone until they close........

Dan

What is the exact make and model number of your modem/eMTA ? 

New Poster

***docsis 2 won't break 12 Mbps. Don't pay for 20 when your docsis 2 modem CANNOT obtain those speeds***.

just go out, spend some money get a nice docsis 3 modem ( I have the motorola sb6120) got it from bestbuy. I have blast (20 Mbps) and CONSTANTLY test out @ over 30 Mbps.

Technically Comcast should not sell customers Blast! if they have a docsis 2 modem, any good tech support or sales agent should know this or at least ask you what modem you have before selling you something that your equipment cannot achieve.

As for the person with the "special" modem for the phone/internet do it all it's an easy fix again if speed MATTERS to you. Go out get yourself a docsis 3 modem, run a splitter and have Comcast provision your modem for you, they can do it over the phone so long as you provide the mac ip for the modem (on the sticker with the model #). If you don't want to run a splitter because having a phone modem and a cable modem and possibly even a router in the mix causes interferance, use a different cable outlet. 

Besides, your internet modem and/or router should be very far away from your phone being that most people have cordless phones in their houses and cordless phones along with other appliances (ie- microwaves) interference with bandwith and lastly ensure you set up a password and secure you network if you have a router.  It is VERY EASY to do and i'll provide a link for an easy to follow along step by step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UFh0W_Z3kI

just youtube how to secure a wireless network.

I really hope this helps some people. All the best,

Cris

Expert

@iamcris wrote:

***docsis 2 won't break 12 Mbps. Don't pay for 20 when your docsis 2 modem CANNOT obtain those speeds***.

That is not true technically as a single D2 downstream channel can provide a maximum usable throughput without overhead of 38Mbps, although CC does recommend that a D3 capable modem is used for the Blast tier. It is a win win for both the subscribers on the shared segment and the provider as far as peak time capacity/congestion and consistant speed benefits are concerned. There are channel failover benefits to be had as well.
Also, there are indeed D3 capable eMTA's (combo phone and internet devices) that can deliver their Extreme 50/10 tier so they can easily deliver Blast.

New Poster

your fine only need a d3 for ultra which is 22mb or higher

Expert

@fscutt000 wrote:

your fine only need a d3 for ultra which is 22mb or higher

Did you read about the win win benefits to be had in the post above yours ???

New Poster

blast tier dont need d3 if u want d3 thats your preference d2 does handle it i install them all day extreme and ultra tier need d3

New Poster

Hi I have comcast internate at home.    Would never use their phone though.  I use OOMA which costs me 10 bucks a month.   I also pay 5 bucks a month for 500minutes to Australia land lines so my wife can call her family.    Voicemessages automatically get emailed to me as mp3 so i get check my voicemail whereever I am in the world.  I work overseas every 2nd month.     I am looking at options at the moment as the mongrels (comcast have increased my price per month from 45 to 63.)  I can get 25MB link from Centurylink for 30bucks a month.   With OOMA and Netflix and FTA Digital will be paying less than 50 bucks a month.  If need be I can also use on demand with Amazaon via one of my laptops plugged into the tv via HDMI.